DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Members

Yeah, definitely.  Peacock itself needs to upgrade it's content.  I thought they were doing okay with the Saved by the Bell reboot and The Fresh Prince until, you know, Will Smith lol.  Even the Housewives and Below Deck spinoff stuff is good.  Again, their sporting content is great I think.  Depending on a 57 year old soap to help a STREAMING platform seems idiotic.  So, I guess I just don't know how it will pan out.  I don't know if $4.99 seems unreasonable to pay for Days alone. 

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think this is utterly stupid.  How can the one in control of the show possibly think that people will pay to watch the trash RC puts out as entertainment?  The show is so bad and has been during his tenure.  The payoffs are zero and the plots are utterly ridiculous.

It would have been better, imo, to get a competent writer in to usher the old lady out in style and be done with it.  This way it will die an ignominious death on the least watched streaming service with a sliver of an audience.

• Members

We'll never know for sure but my understanding is the Bells never owned Y&R - what they had is/was a production deal that entitles them to profit and while Bill was alive, creative control. Once Bill died, it was overnight the changes started rolling in and have done so for the last 17 years to ill effect. 

I tend to be a bit more forgiving of Corday's business prowess. There is ultimately only so much that can be done with a 57 year old television property and Corday inherited the relationship with Sony.

• Members

I get that soap fans don't like change.  However, it feels like the argument for why people wouldn't pay for cable in the 1980s.  The decision was clearly not based on quality, it is part of the change that is happening across media and any hopes of change in production or writing seems to come from left field.

Articles about CBS affiliates wanting more cheap local news, as well as the rise of Paramount+ seems to predict a similar fate for Y&R and B&B. -- https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/paramount-plus-subscribers-earnings-report-advertising-1235191826/

Finally, the argument that many here are unwilling to pay $5 for Peacock seems erroneous when "the average household cable package is now $217.42 per month" according to US News https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/saving-and-budgeting/articles/how-much-is-cable-per-month

I don't care how much any individual is paying for cable, piecemeal streaming packages will obviously be the predominant form of entertainment in the next five years.

As for a cliffhanger, NBC probably wants a seamless transition so that viewers will get into the habit of daily streaming.  The past two years are already on the service and I don't see them investing more in streaming old episodes when it has failed at Soapnet, Sony, PopTV, and RetroTV.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'm not sure if it was a "test", or if it was merely an "incentive".  

It appears to me that SONY Pictures and Corday Productions have known for the past year that "Days" would spend its final season (#58) on Peacock, so they shaved a little off the budget all along and funneled the savings into the Xmas movie and "Beyond Salem" to let the audience know, "Hey, we're capable of doing BETTER work on Peacock.  Join as a subscriber!"

(But what they'll probably present on Peacock is more of what they've been producing on daytime -- for at least the next six months.  Afterwards, as someone else pointed out, you may get a few bare bottoms, but you won't be able to see them very well due to the Peapack Production Values that will likely define the final six months.  And in September 2023 -- the end.)    

• Members

I am not as forgiving. Yes he inherited the deal but when the deal was up for renewal. He signs an indefinite deal. Corday never should have signed a deal where NBC could move the property to Peacock. Corday owns DAYS. Having an indefinite deal with SONY hampers his ability to control DAYS.  Even if Corday had to agree to move DAYS to Peacock not Peacock Premium.   I think just this will end with DAYS being shelved once the 2 year deal is over and its run on Peacock is over.  There has been no comment from DAYS, Corday or SONY about this. I wonder why. I think because they all know the handwriting is on the wall. Days will end it run on Peacock.

After 57 years, Days has earned the right to end on NBC in 2023 not on some streaming platform.

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

If the product is good people will pay...I have paramount plus. It has all seasons of love boat some which have not been released on dvd. It had all the reasonable happy days but for some reason only season 2 is now available. I've seen the RW reunions on it as well.

I originally got peacock for beyond Salem but it also has the entire run of punky brewster...a spin off Dateline, golf and tennis that are not on tv. They've also included MLB games. I don't think $ 4.99 is that bad compared to what others charge. But to get it to watch the garbage that is Days alone is not worth it IMO when it was free and I would miss episodes because the show is so bad.

• Members

I paid about $260/month for cable/internet for years, so $5 a month seems like nothing to me-and you don't just get Days for that price.  But I definitely understand the principal of something being free now being a premium show when the quality is the exact same.  Why are we going to pay for it now when it's was barely watchable for free?

• Members

This is not about soap fans not liking change, lol. Many of us have always felt streaming is the only future for soaps and have been saying so for years, and I was one of them. Nor is it about streaming not being the future - it's already our present. The issue, which many of us already elaborated on at length and you clearly ignored, is that Peacock is a struggling service which does not have a broad enough range of content that will incentivize enough people to sign up for its paid tier for on the strength of DAYS alone (which is NBCU's stated hope here). Hulu is strong, and Netflix is strong; until very, very recently HBO Max also looked strong (and hopefully the rumors about it this week due to Discovery's meddling will prove exaggerated). Peacock? Not so much. And for NBCU to be pinning Peacock's subscriber hopes on DAYS only leaves one loser: DAYS.

Next time listen to what people have been saying before you came along and before injecting your own pre-written editorial.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Which is why releasing classic episode would be a perfect incentive to get people to subscribe. 

Idk anything music licensing/copyright, but considering you can watch every episode of SNL, with musical guests, on Peacock, I don't think that's the reason.

Edited by AbcNbc247