DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Members

I don't know. It all just seems a bit rushed which is often never a good sign.

The announcement should have read that 2022/23 would be Days final season on NBC before moving to its new home on Peacock. This would have given writers more time to wrap up stories on Network TV while being able to create a fresh start for the soap on Peacock that would allow for casual viewers or unaware streamers to pick up or dive in to the show. It would also allow for promotion of the switch over an extended period of time to allow viewers to make the switch more seamlessly. 

The only benefit I see with this transition is that there will be no pause in new episodes, which for retention, I believe is a good sign. Viewers won't have to wait months or a year for new episodes. However, everything about this sudden move, from the fact it has seemed to come out of nowhere down to episodes just being the same old stuff that's already being produced for NBC, screams like a last ditch effort by Days but also Peacock. No offense but Days is not going to save Peacock and if Peacock is this desperate than it's not a great sign.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Very rushed.  I think what will happen is that the shows that have already been taped by DAYS will go to Peacock. Supposedly they are doing January 2023 then the rest of the shows will be taped for the rest of the season to run through Sept. 2023 as per the contract. Then in Sept. 2023 DAYS will be cancelled or reformatted into a 3 episode week for streaming. 

• Members

You're right...anything is possible. There's nothing in the announcement that says Days will continue with its original format of 5 hour long episodes per week. I can see Peacock doing more of these 5 episode specials like Beyond Salem or maybe producing something more similar to a telenovela with 80-150 episodes per year "book" style and release all the episodes at once on a yearly basis. Netflix has heavily invested in telenovelas lately and they've found great success.

Edited by GLATWT88

• Members

Whether Days is on Peacock after Sept. 2023 when the current contract runs out remains to be seen. Honestly, I do not see Days surviving past Sept. 2023. Moving it to Peacock was because of the contract.  The ratings will not be significantly higher on Peacock especially since Days will be in Peacock Premium.  I do not think Comcast/Universal is going to turn DAYS into a telenovela. NBC should have just cancelled Days and let it finish up on NBC through Sept. 23. It is all about money. Making it and saving all the costs.

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

I agree. My initial and gut feeling is that this is a way to get rid of Days.

I also didn't mean that they would turn Days into a telenovela in a traditional sense, but some telenovelas nowadays have multiple seasons or series. So instead of Days producing 200+ daily episodes. Stories can be condensed to a telenovela of 120+ episodes that are released all at once to viewers each year. Stories can have a set course and some can wrap by the end of the season - taking viewers through a story beginning to end, while other stories can be left to pick up on the next season. It would reduce the number of episodes produced, but also create content that is more accessible to the modern viewer

• Members

Yeah, pretty much. Even if it does survive beyond September 2023 (big if, yes), there's really no sense in producing 200+ 40 minute episodes per year. Add that even if they continue to produce episodes for somewhat regular consumption for several times per week, I don't think they need to be more than ~21 minutes; the reason why they expanded soaps in the first place was because it was more cost effective to fill airtime, but creatively, soaps do better with a shorter format imho.

• Members

Count me among the skeptics doubting that Peacock will feature the entire DOOL library. It’s hard to see Sony or NBC going to expense of digitizing all those old episodes. I read elsewhere that Peacock will feature the the last five years of episodes. That sounds more realistic since they’re already in digital format. And then they could put up a few special episodes from before that era to pacify fans: the first episode, Doug and Julie’s wedding, Bo and Hope’s wedding, Marlena seemingly getting killed by the Salem Strangler, etc.

I also think that if the show is renewed past the 2022-23 season, it will be for these little five episode limited series a la Beyond Salem. Maybe once a month or even just once per quarter. No way will they show five episodes per week. Broadcast soaps were designed for viewers who tuned in 2-3 times per week. That’s why there’s so much repetition. With streaming, viewers can catch every episode if they want, so they simply won’t need as much content.

• Members

I know this is not ideal and many people are upset.  But the talk that this is being done as a way to just get rid of DAYS altogether is not realistic.  If they wanted the show gone they could very easily have announced the show is done when this contract is up.

They are attempting to draw viewers to Peacock, with something they think is a big enough asset to do it.  They want the show to help them succeed.  The question is will viewers tune in?

And moving them to less than 5 days a week would honestly be for the best.  

• Members

Currently, the confines of network programming demand that soaps build to an exciting moment before every commercial, at the end of every episode, with special considerations for Friday and sweeps.  Streaming is obviously free of those constraints.  So, I wonder how that will effect pacing and storytelling?

So, many of elements of what defines a soap were developed in order to sell household products that I don't know what a serialized story with no ending would look like on a streaming platform where everyone consumes it differently?

Imagine a twenty year old college student in 2025 with a free afternoon and their parent's Peacock password in college.  Where would they start watching?  How would they know the characters?  It doesn't feel like something you would choose to jump into; especially 60 years into the story...

Edited by j swift

• Members

Valid concerns, none of which I expect will be addressed. I think is just a case of dumping clearance merchandise into a outlet store. (Although I'm now imagining the ghost of Gloria Monty making a valiant effort to tailor DOOL into a show that follows modern streaming conventions.)

• Members

Now that is an excellent analogy. The cynic in me says that this is a best of all worlds for NBC: do a ‘soft cancellation’ of DAYS off network, burn off the last year’s worth of episodes while potentially luring viewers to Peacock, and all while giving a public pitch that they’re moving DAYS forward into streaming. 

If Days intends to survive on Peacock. TPTB best step it up. In its current incarnation it's horrible. Ron needs to go. Days also needs to be aesthetically modernized. A budget of loose spare change on a streaming service is just beyond pitiable. I see people on social media happy over the move. But what's the point. If the show is still horrible. The divisiveness i see on twitter and Days fb groups from the fanbase. Is far more entertaining than the soap itself.

Please register in order to view this content