DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I see some of you blaming the current writers but let's be honest this show was going the way of cancelation for about fifteen years now. Let's not forget when NBC Daytime folded meaning the show was hardly getting any support from the network. I just hope we don't once again see the SOD Cover "The Plan To Save DAYS" for the 520th time in 2023. 

• Members

IF what that TVMOEJOE guy said IS true they did this to bring subs to Peacock, then honestly I dont see how they think that's going to work. 

I also don't see the uploading older episodes cause of music rights, Days had A LOT of popular music played for their Super Couples and whanot especially during the 80s.

I mean it's not like with Beyond Salem where the use "I Celebrate My Love For You" for like 1 episode, this would be a huge cost 

• Members

Since the 2-year renewal was announced, DAYS produced the Xmas movie and Beyond Salem 2 for Peacock, which obviously cost money. I've always streamed DAYS - with the NBC app or Peacock. NBC also has rarely fully pre-empted DAYS - compared to the other networks - because of streaming. NBC Universal has a lot of data about DAYS streaming patterns. Shows that have big libraries (Grey's) or have open-ended storylines (Manifest) do extremely well on streaming, so maybe all is not lost here.

While the over-the-air removal is disappointing to many fans, there must be some financially viable reason why this move is being made. It's not they are 2 separate companies here. I could see DAYS dropping less than 5 episodes a week and actually extending the potential end date. This is shocking to the public, but it's probably not-so-shocking to Sony/DAYS production. It's not like this decision was made out of the blue. I hope it works for the best.

• Members

I think Days could drop to a half hour as well. I mean without commercials the show's going to be pretty short on Peacock I doubt they'll extend it longer

Yeah I have to agree, I've been saying this on twitter. The writing has been on the wall for awhile now. Days is pulling "Guiding Light in Peapack" type demos/numbers. It's surprising it's lasted this long.

IF NBC were invested in the show they'd have truly tried to make changes and address issues and fix them then try to move the show if that didn't work 

• Members

WOW! After 57 years. I always knew that Days would be the first to go in the final 4 soaps, being that it had the worst budget among them. The lighting was at it's cheapest point and sets just keeps getting smaller and more repetitive. At least this isn't a full blown cancelation, and the idea of soaps on streaming might be more acceptable this time around versus when All My Children and One Life to Live tried it in 2013.

As soaps  continue to go the way of the dodo bird I doubt that more news and more short term talkshows is the answer. Moreover, the news we will get is more of the same: inflation, January 6th, COVID, the supreme court and pop culture, no unique international coverage, just wash rinse repeat.

Wishful thinking but hopefully we get a one week marathon or something of DAYS biggest moments (on TV) or of it's not there already DAYS' entire library should be made available on streaming.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Maybe there was some trepidation  at TGL when they moved to TV but CBS already had two successful soaps underway with SFT and LOL and they were probably happy to be chosen to be part of a new medium that was taking off.

Meanwhile I think those associated with Right to Happiness, Stella Dallas, Ma Perkins etc were probably hoping they would be next to transition.

The two scenarios are not comparable really.

• Members

This is really sad news for me.  I knew the day would come, but with the renewal I didn't think it would be now.  I don't think there is any way around the fact it's a cancellation.  I was truly just really shocked and almost disbelieving of the news even though we all knew it would be sooner rather than later.  I know people want to say Ron or JER ruined it, but I don't think they did.  Days outlasted several soaps it probably shouldn't have.  It's been on the brink of cancellation for almost 2 decades.  I am not saying Ron has done a good or even adequate job, but Days has gone on for a lot longer than most of us thought.  It's been past the period of a magical renaissance by a writer for a long time.  I don't even think an audience was there to gain.

On the other hand, it doesn't change my life at all.  Unless I am home I watch from Peacock.   I already pay for Peacock.  It has exclusive rights to the U.S distribution of Figure skating and it's genuinely live and great coverage and it has coverage of several other niche sports.  It's replaced the now defunct Olympic channel with it's sports stuff.  I know that probably is not an exact draw for soap fans, but if it is I would highly recommend.  Plus with the Beyond Salem movies, the real housewives the next day, the housewives girls trips, and their below deck spinoffs I am fine paying for it. Anyway, I am not the 'cock's hypeman or anything, but I purchased it for the skating and was pleasantly surprised that I actual use it to watch other stuff a lot.  My point is I hope people try it for Days and find a few other things to make it worth their while.  I genuinely hopes this works out for Days, but I am really not optimistic.