DAYS: August 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I disagree about Tripp being boring. This reminds me of what Erika Slezak said about Joey, how she loved that he was warm and kind and the writers didn’t feel the need to give him the “pop” and edge of the string of young male characters on the show. It was disappointing to her when they eventually did so. We’ll most likely get some interesting material from all four in the quad, Tripp will have his moments to shine.

• Members

And also I feel Tripp was introduced with more of an edge that’s been all but completely dulled. He’s standard insert-dumb-soap himbo-because-our-young-heroine-needs-a-dick. Lucas Adams exists to look good in a damp towel. Now Johnny has been introduced as a bad boy so there’s even less reason to give Tripp even the slightest edge. These shows can’t seem to write characters that pop for more than two or three at a time (and only with the biggest, most extroverted personalities like Xander).

• Members

^ This is especially an issue with Ron's work in the 2010s and onward, at every show he's been on. All men under 55 exist as hot, dumb marks, unless they are outsize, broad villains or antiheroes, or camp or all of the above. Women are similar but it's most prevalent with the men.

Edited by Vee

• Members

To be fair, Tripp is basically turning into Austin Pt 100, but I'm not sure writing your male characters like JER is any kind of goal. I guess I at least haven't started wondering how Tripp even manages to dress himself.

• Members

I'm only 12 minutes into today's episode but I'm having so much fun watching these Johnny/Chanel/Paulina scenes. Johnny's only been back for a few days but his return is the best part of the show.

Edit: OMG, Paulina is asking Johnny if he's fluid. This is great.

Edited by AlexElizabeth

• Members

I will say it: I do like that they are challenging the usual assumption that if it is not mentioned otherwise, then a character is straight.
Have everyone "come out" with their sexuality either way. It is a healthy if a bit heavy-handed at times way to normalize all variations on the sexuality spectrum.

• Members

The Paulina and Johnny conversation was funny and great, but I did smh when Johnny declared himself 100% straight.

Ron C has no problem with the girls being fluid, but as others have said, you won’t see it with guys. Any lines about Tripp liking boys? Or Ben? 

It could be teased with Chad because Billy Flynn goes all in with guys and can be very affectionate and hands on. It’s all homoerotic, but I think that’s to Billy’s credit, not the writing.

And no, I’m not suggesting the show become some gay haven, but it’s just absurd that a gay male writer won’t write gay/bi males or isn’t allowed to, but teasing girl on girl sex is fine.

As far as this board is concerned, I never felt uncomfortable seeing pics of shirtless guys and other thirst traps. It’s 2021, for God’s sake. 

I do appreciate Toups’ response to my previous post, as well as others having my back.