Days: April 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Most networks were thinking about getting out of soaps at that time and Passion was the first that went, then Guiding Light and As The World Turns, then of course One Life To Live and All My Children. The truth is that General Hospital was next to go if they hadn't seen that the replacements weren't doing well (I think NBC ultimately ended up giving up Passions time slot to affliaties, but I might be wrong) and that's what's so far kept the remaining soaps on air. They know if they lift them off at this point they'll not only get replacements doing worse, but also likely affect the rest of the remaining daytime line up negatively. I assume they've figured the remaining soaps DO have a unique audience that won't tune in unless there's a soap on air.

• Members

In the event that a soap does get canceled today, I wonder what future it'll have on streaming. When Passions went to DirecTV they said it was a big success, but of course canceled it once they got their subscribers, then they moved onto primetime shows. AMC and OLTL were successful on Hulu and OWN, but were ahead of the curve when it came to streaming. Say DAYS does leave NBC, I wonder if they'd consider moving it to streaming. You can't convince me it wouldn't be a big hit. It probably could be what Peacock needs to be saved since DAYS fans would have to flock to it to keep watching.

• Members

(I heard this on someones podcast so if im wrong, Sorry!!!.) They said GHs Hulu Numbers are like 3X that of the neilson numbers, Jamey Giddens Also said Semi Recently that All the soaps do well on their networks platforms, So i think they will do okay.

Edited by Dylan

• Members

The problem though with being a big hit on streaming is that even a big hit doesn't bring the same kind of money as a mediocre-ratings soap on broadcast network and that impact the quality of what we get.
But I do agree with te. that the fact everything that has replaced soaps ended up bombing - and development costs for each replacement of a replacement are probably hefty - meant that networks ended up comfortable with the stability that soaps bring as long as they have their financials in order.

• Members

The plus side for Days if streaming happens is that Peacock is both subscription and ad revenue based so it would be a win/win for the service if the show did well because they’d get money from ads for people who use the free version and also additional revenue from new subscriptions to watch the show commercial free. 

Y’all can’t tell me this isn’t weird. The show is officially done filming. What does that mean for contracts? Will everybody be released again? Do they even have a time table on a return?

• Members

I hate seeing the "put this show out of its misery" posts.  Why are you on a soap opera board if you want one of the few soaps left canceled?!?!?!?!?   I want DAYS renewed and a new head writer and new exec producer to make this show better.  That said, I do not want a massive axing.  The cast is good for the most part, but we need better writing, plus axe the overused Kristen & Susan,  they are the worst part of the show now, because of the overkill, just like several years ago when Eileen Davidson was being overworked as Kristen & Susan and anywhere from 2 to 4 characters more.  I'd also get rid of the stupidity of Abigail going crazy, over and over again. STUPID! POOR WRITING!  Get rid of Gwen. Kill off the not seen Summer, and reveal she admitted to Maggie she was NEVER her daughter to begin with!  I'd also either bring back Eric with a re-cast, or axe Nicole, which actually may be the best option at this point.  Write off Jan Spears for good.  Quit being repetitive with storylines.  Bring back Jennifer with Cady McClain.  Bring back Hope, Try to get Kristian Alfonso back, if NOT get a soap vet to take over the role.  Cast a good character for Hope. Possibly axe Rafe, Ava, and Bonnie, briefly have the real Bonnie come to town, which would explain why none of her kids have some to Salem, and then the reveal is Bonnie is really Adrienne brainwashed by Orpheus or Rolf.  I'd bring back some essential Hortons ---- Mike, Melissa, Nathan, Jeremy, possibly David Banning. Maybe give Brady, Kate Jake a rest. 

Edited by David_Vickers

• Members

True dat. All four soap operas still have the potential to be something great, but it's just not gonna happen, either because the TPTB don't know how to do it in this day and age, or because they just don't want to try. 

Still, I'd like to see DAYS hit 60 and just hope for a fantastic 60th anniversary year with many returns and walks down memory lane (Flashbacks! With no goofy sepia lighting or sparkles or laser beams or any type of goofy graphics that muck up how it originally aired)

• Members

I don't see Corday going anywhere, at least until they hit 60. He just need to exercise more control over Ron. Cut out all the over the top stuff and get back to the more realistic storytelling, which they are doing for the most part right now except for the mask crap.

That storyline is actually start to remind me of the Peter storyline on GH; they don't know how to write themselves out of it, so they just keep digging themselves deeper and deeper. 

I also find it funny because over at GH, Frank needs to stop interfering, but here at Days, Corday needs to interfere more.

Switching gears, Idk how people are going to feel about who shot Charlie. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

We've seen what happens when Corday interferes more - constant back and forth hiring and firing of everyone (which still happens), and the regular employment cycles of Dena Higley and Gary Tomlin. Not saying Ron should not be controlled, because he should, but neither man unfettered is the answer and that's been proven for years.

Edited by Vee