Days: April 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ben is coming across like a complete psycho. I feel nothing for this serial killer. I love that we have at least three characters that don’t want her to remember that psycho in Ciara, Theo, and Victor. The rest of the town is coddling and enabling Ben.

• Members

Ben is a psycho and that's why I hate his behavior so much.  Because like I said upthread John, Bo, Steve have all done similar crazy things for their amnesiac ladies, but it doesn't come off so awful.   But it's probably because I assume they won't strangle their wives and I am still not convinced Ben won't.

I know nothing about it, but I would assume it's fine?  Is there anything in the works that could possibly replace Days?  A 7th hour of Today lol?

• Members

I am just going to assume no news is good news.  No one involved with the show seems panicked or anything.  I don't think Days is in awesome shape, but it's still probably the best soap airing.  GH and Y&R can be mind numbingly boring, but I think Days is generally entertaining.  They have pacing issues and the sets look like trash, but I don't think anything on Days is a boring as watching Michael/Willow talk on GH.

• Members

It doesn't *feel* like a cancellation announcement is coming.
I don't know if I'd affix "best" to the show right now but it has enough bright spots and is trying enough things to be, as you said, entertaining so creatively it doesn't feel like a dying show.

HOWEVER creative quality *at the moment* is not what whoever make those calls base their decisions on.

• Members

Yeah, absolutely, but Days has had some awful years.  Years where I felt it should be put out of its misery.  I don't feel like that at all now.  I can tell you a lot of flaws, but I can tell you stuff I like.  I would hate for it to be cancelled now.   I do think there are some legacy/character problems with the show as in I don't know who will be the next lead.  I don't think they have established that generation well outside of Sami, but as long as they still have vets to drive story I guess it's fine.  I would worry about the show in a decade or so when Isabel Durant is the lead or something-if it's still on air but I always feel like Days keeps on ticking like the Energizer Bunny.

• Members

Corday's always said that he's determined to get the show to 60 years, plus NBC's always going on about how Days is the number one show on the app and I haven't heard anything about any washed up celebrity trying to get their own talk show lol so I'm just going to assume that things are gonna go well for Days. 

• Members

Ironically we agree because I almost added that if quality was the criteria, Days would have been cancelled for a good dozen of the past twenty five years.

And a show like One Life to Live had been a rather positive run of creativity and good press and fan reaction for a few years when it was cancelled (which made it even more of a shock).
So whatever their thought process is, it won't be based on this

Key elements would be ratings - and they don't seem to be noticeably worse than last year - and the financials. And while we are not privy to the latter, it seems to me that hiring Jackee Harry and bringing Ali Sweeney back, neither of which must have come cheap, are a pretty decent sign that the cash situation is better than when they had to release everyone from their contract and go dark for a few months.
Only way creative concerns would influence a cancellation decision would be if the show starts embarrassing the network. And the honest truth is that, while every show has had bad runs (and Y&R's worst a few years ago was worse than anything Days did in the same decade) and individual SL that are cringeworthy, none has the track record than Days has for storylines that are so embarrassing that the network might be uncomfortable airing them in their name. I don't think Days can afford another high-profile misstep, no matter how solid the ensemble is but if it does well in the mid-range, then it will simple be about $

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

Idk, I feel like Days, much like GH, has always been their own networks favorite.  I think they both have always had a little more leeway especially now since they are the last ones standing.  I can't see how Days/Gh don't make some money.  Obviously, Days works on a shoestring, but I think they still do okay.  Plus, they still resemble a show that was great years ago with all the vets still involved.  They have had a lot of awkward stories, but NBC is a network that greenlit Passions for many years.