2021 Daytime Emmys

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Daytime Emmys always had head-scratchers even when they had ten shows to pick from so with only four left of course there are going to be digging deep to find some of those nominees.

That being said, I don't see any outright bad actor in this year's nominations - some really random picks for sure but nobody who is embarrassing like has happened in the past.

So the above comments are way unkind in IMO
Jacqueline Woods is not my favorite and would never be a leading lady nominee were this the 90s but she is a solid actress, did a good job with the addiction storyline and is an Emmy fave. Her plastic surgery choices have nothing to do with it.

NLG is also wonderful and well-liked and deserving.
Someone like Kober is a bit more of a puzzler but it is not like he is a bad actor - the character sucks. Similarly I am not sure what Darin Brooks or Tamara Braun did this year that was worthy of a nom but both are good actors. Etc.

• Members

Updated nomination totals:

B&B — 9 (four acting, drama series, writing, directing, lighting direction, technical team)
DAYS — 11 (six acting, drama series, directing, technical team, costume design/styling, casting)
GH — 21 (16 acting, drama series, writing, directing, technical team, casting)
Y&R — 10(four acting, drama series, writing, directing, original song, lighting direction, makeup)

It’s funny that in the combined digital/broadcast scripted category for hairstyling, none of the nominees are the soaps. 

• Members

MCE has been lousy this year, I know that's not popular ---don't care.  She spent two months yelling with her mouth shut, and her crazy act was nothing compared to the great job she did as Annie on AMC.   JMW was starting to really pick up steam in the addiction story, but it was wrapped before it got going and she didn't have the opportunity to shine the way she could have.  The biggest B&B issue is the choppy storytelling when the stories don't revolve around Liam.

• Members

Without mentioning specific individuals, I think this list of nominees is proof the Daytime Emmys are a FARCE.

With only 4 soaps, they ended up with egregious snubs. They nominated actors who did nothing this year and who do not deserve nominations. I can’t applaud any worthy nominee because the entire list is so flawed.

GH should win an award for working overtime to get their actors nominated. Frank and team worked hard on that.

It’s all pretty pathetic.

• Members

She’s there bc people recognized her name. Her acting hasn’t even been good on GH. I hope she doesn’t steal the aware from more deserving people in her category. I’d give it to Cady. 

On Twitter people are mad GH has so many noms and the Bell soaps don’t, but GH really knocked it out of the park last year so I’m not surprised. The Bell soaps were so painfully slow and boring that they’re lucky to have gotten any nominations. 

• Members

That's what strikes me too.
As I said above, I don't think any nominee is *bad* at acting per se but there are tons of nominees where I went: "Why this year?"

I think it would have been good for B&B to extend the addiction story rather than go back to the infinite Liam triangle but from the POV of Emmy showcase, JMW definitely got enough material to justify being up there and she was one of the least surprising nominees.

And I don't know if it is unpopular but I am with you on MCE. Don't think her stuff was Emmy nom worthy although I guess, referring to ranger's point above, at least she had enough story that I get why they decided to reward her, even though I don't think it was necessarily warranted.
Compared with the randomness of some others, I guess I will take it as a case of "different strokes".

• Members

I think GH is pretty bad in general, but they do give their actors “moments.” I often watch and say, “Oh that’s an obvious Emmy reel.” Y&R rarely does, except for the “baity” special episodes that are undermined by the flat writing.

• Members

The CBS soaps were off the air for a long time and once they came back, their COVID restrictions were so strict that the shows were completely stale and sanitized with no human interaction whatsoever, so there's certainly nothing from August-December that's worthy of a reel except maybe Marla Adams. GH, for it flaws, carried on like a real show. When they resumed production it still looked and felt like a normal soap. They'll clean up for the storyline of Mike's death, rightfully so.

The Guest Actor category is a joke. Eva La Rue certainly didn't do any Emmy worthy acting by appearing as Rey's mother. She won because she's a known soap name. I'm guessing Kim Delaney will win because she's the biggest name. And it just seems wrong that Briana Lane and Cady McClain are nominated for temp recast roles. There's really no need to have an Emmy for best temporary recast - if their acting was really that good then they could have submitted for Supporting, I don't think you have to be on contract to do so.