• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@AMCer I have watched little of that story or that period of the show as so much of it feels distasteful and bland to me, but thank you for posting that clip. What an incredible performance from Julia Barr - one of her very best. And how refreshing to see a character having a brain, something that would disappear by the middle of that decade. I will say, watching that, I don't know how the show ever went back to teasing Adam/Brooke only 4-5 years later. It's a bridge too far. 

• Members

I felt at the time that they were going say he molested Laura, that the original story was going there before she decided to quit and they changed everything.  Which was going to be so much worse.

If only Monty and ABC has just let Denise go on an extended vacation (which they did later Tristan), the show would have had more of a foundation for later.  Lesley and Rick and their family.  I would have killed for Lesley and Alan to have been in competition for Chief if Staff once Steve passed away.  Or even if they had an eventual affair.  How great would that have been?

• Members

IDK if they changed their plans, because of GF, or because someone simply balked at the idea of Rick molesting Laura -- but yeah, from what I've heard, Charles Pratt, Jr.'s original idea was to reveal exactly what you've described.

• Members

Ross rips into Dinah (1:45) after learning Dinah faked her own kidnapping. I always felt like GL actors really relished yelling at Wendy Moniz's Dinah, who was rather hapless in the role.

• Members

Yes, Julia was so good during this period. Its a kind of story repeated so often on daytime - but Barr and Canary made it something more because of how committed they were to those scenes. Laura's death a year prior made the storyline even more tragic.

I'd say that's one of the best scenes in daytime history. It's just perfect. The writing, the lighting, the set, the acting, the wind in their hair, the finger pointing and the way Alexander waves her hand at 7:20. Plus, to see Monica being a bitch is such a treat.

Edited by AMCer

• Members

I also like when Marlena slaps Sami.  Even if it's out a character.  "you aren't my dad even if you are sleeping with my mom"  Awesome.

Couldn't find the actual clip, but I think we can do okay with a Sami slapping montage.  It's in here.

• Members

I agree. Flannery was always a pro but I vehemently hated the direction they took Stephanie - an unnecessarily violent villain and eventual rape facilitator. It absolutely ruined the character. 

• Members

“You want to talk about some of the other things I did for money Barbara?”

I know I watched this back then, but that line and how he delivered it really caught my attention today.  Lots to explore there if the show had decided to., no need to have Luke kill his dad, not that I thought that was such a bad revelation. It’s just he had enough trauma already waiting to be explored.

This is one of those scenes where you realize both how good Tony can be, and how bad that Bobbie isn’t a more central figure now.

I’ve posted this same video in the GL thread, but it is a classic confrontation.  The club scenes are great, as are the scenes in the next episode afterwards.  But my favorite part starts on the outside, when Blake and Frank hear Roger and Alex fighting.

Beverlee sells every single line with so much personality.  It’s not a screaming over the top showdown.  It’s just as cutting though.  My favorite parts start around 24-25 minutes, after the Holly scene.

”Ooh I’m scared to death.”

Edited by titan1978