Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Also before the deep-seated mistrust of government...not that it hasn't to some degree been earned during these decades but I truly don't think, despite people like Mitch McConnell, that's there's some government plot to commit American genocide (even among political divides) or that Andrew Cuomo put restrictions in place because he was trying to be Il Duce of NYS.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever believed that people were smarter than this...or smarter now than in the past, at least not in basic nature. I've been of the opinion that, yes, we've made amazing technological and medical advances but basic human wants and fears that ultimately drive people....nah, that hasn't changed. (And certain people throughout history, both distant and recent, not only recognize but exploit this.) The costumes, props and sets have changed over the centuries but greed, fear of differences, self above others...always there. As nice as Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek vision was and how hopeful it painted things in terms of mankind overcoming its baser instincts, I fear human nature will turn things more dystopian.

I do have Facebook but, unlike many, I started it to play some games and find pages of entertainment interest, not to engage with anybody I know IRL. I limit my interaction to sites of personal interest where the administrators usually keep things friendly, on topic, and they ban trolls or people who get rude. I don't normally post in the "heavier" topics on this board but I felt like I needed a place to share what I saw and heard today. I mean, that was one person's reaction but it was among one of the more extreme ones I've seen in someone I know personally.

• Members

I just saw the news about the mandate for federal employees to get the vaccine without having a test out option. I work for the federal government and I know that at least some of the federal employees are not going to be happy about this at all. I wonder how many of them may consider quitting their jobs. There are some decent paying jobs with the federal government with excellent benefits, like good retirement plans and generous leave. If there are quite a few people that quit their federal jobs due to this, other people can keep their resumes ready. If anyone wants some tips on how to apply for a federal job let me know,  and I will give you some tips. 

Edited by xtr