Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Today I was witness to an exchange between my 65ish neighbor, who recently returned from her annual 4-month visit to her hometown in Croatia, and her married daughter. The daughter is a teacher here in NYC who is currently in the early part of a year-long maternity leave. There's a mandate here that public school staff must get vaccinated. So the mother began yelling that the vaccine is dangerous, she doesn't want her daughter to get it, etc. Lots of yelling. The daughter's husband left, saying something like "go ahead and be a liberal wussy (substitute a p) and bend over."

Shortly after, the neighbor on the other side of me (who is a different brand of crazy but that's a whole other litany of stories), yells a greeting across my yard to them and the mother mentions that they were yelling about the vaccine. Well, he's in the funeral business and he got his vaccine back in December. So she tells him that she believes it's all bs, that "they're trying to kill us all by giving us COVID in the vaccine." She went on to say that her sister and cousin got the vaccine and both got COVID whereas she got neither. He mentioned that his vaccinated mother (who's in her 70s) got COVID (upon which the neighbor thought she had made a point to him) but he said he believed his mother would be dead now without it. They debated a bit more about it, he made a comment to her to then at least build up her immune system and always wear a mask (not exactly advice he totally follows himself but hey, in this case, he tried). Later on, I heard her say that people are so stupid. Meanwhile, yesterday I streamed my mother's church mass for her and there's the neighbor, maskless amid a sea of masked people.

As it happened, when I got my first dose back in March, she and her husband saw me at the place. A day or two afterwards, she started a conversation with me about it, where she told me she didn't believe in it but to each his own and her husband was possibly looking into getting the J & J one. Her husband jokingly asked me if I felt like Rambo, to which I replied, "No, but I might turn into a Borg."

Meanwhile, the neighbor next to her, who is also in her 60s, talks about having had COVID over a year ago because her doctor found antibodies and he then apparently told her she doesn't need a shot. As it happened, about a week ago she, too, had a conversation with the funeral dude, who told her she should get the shot but she adamantly refuses. She also seems to have some cultural or political bias about it because she comes from Poland, and she has said that she knows what it's like to come from Communist rule and that's what these politicians are trying to do, etc. and that it's all bs. Apparently, her lawyer-daughter and son-in-law told her early on about doctors inflating the numbers.

Let's just say I usually try to avoid or cut short these kinds of conversations. Don't want to give it the energy.

Edited by applcin