Y&R: Ding Dong This Actor's Gone!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He couldn't appreciate dynamic story under Sussman that reinvented his character and gave it legs beyond coasting as Lily's devoted man and his couples fanbase's icon. And as we've all said, pairing him with Beth Maitland - who female fans have watched for decades - as her Prince Charming was still guaranteed security. He was a fool.

• Members

I've been reading social media every time Y&R gets messy (which is a LOT) and from what I've seen over the past couple years there are some hard 'truths' to be told about some of these "Lane" fans and it's all starting spill, lot hot tea, all over social media.

I'm just going to put it out there for discussion: some have suggested that there is a portion of "Lane" fans who are color-struck women who guard the idea of Lily being with a white guy, either because they perceive it would give her more screen time, or as some sort of strange 'wish fulfillment' but it seems as if the majority of "Lane" fans have morphed into Cane fans who relished the idea of seeing this guy (who they're fixated on) with a 'hot young exotic' wife from a 'prominent/core family' and having a foothold on the show. These people weren't so bothered with KSJ and his character were exiled off-screen and in the wake of his death have sought to cast Cane as the new "patriarch" of the Ashby-Winters (as if there were such a thing) family. Cane the con-artist.   

When I used to watch the show, I noticed that these particular "Lane" fans have always been bitter and vitriolic toward Lily (and at times, the actress) at those time when "Lane" didn't go according to plan (i.e. Lily, half-naked, wanting nothing more to seduce her husband Cane, on the couch in the middle of the day, everyday).  That is why the racist dog whistles were so ear-deafeningly shrill when the show dared to try to pair Lily and Tyler (even though the chemistry was visible to anyone with eyes) and why some could barely restrain their ire when Lily took off with Joe (although some women seemed to be gravitating to a possible pairing...and you know who 

Please register in order to view this content

) and many "Lane" fans all but blamed Lily for Cane cheating on her, that she had the nerve to waver about forgiving him and still refused to believe that Cane got a woman pregnant.  Like, honestly, these people thought that Con-Man Cane was the best Lily Winters could do??

The whole thing was just weird and toxic, which is why so many of us had wanted this pairing off the show for years--their fans are toxic.  It got so bad that even CK couldn't stand it anymore.  Even though I stopped watching over a year ago, I really hope Cane never makes it back onto the canvas of Y&R.  Some of these fanbases have been corroding the show, courting them really hasn't worked to the show's favor.

• Members

Fu*king finally. I don't want to cheer for anybody losing their job --- but I have wanted Cane gone ever since they tried to retcon his ass as the 'real' Philip III / brought back OG Philip from Australia in an ill-judged stunt-cast.

It was such a hot mess that I just assumed they would write Cane out so we could forget all this ever happened. But NO. The Lane noise on Twitter was such that we got a bunch of further retcons which included bringing in poor Genie Francis and the wonderful Tristan Rogers to play his cattle mafia maw and paw. What a way to humiliate two giants of the genre.

When that didn't work, they put him at the 'head' of Y&R's landmark black family. Even though (a) Neil and Devon already existed and (b) Cane is not black. I was just done with this mumbling moron by then, especially at the way he torpedoed any SL which didn't leave Cane looking like a polished turd. Hoisted by his own petard!

Image result for hoist of your own petard gif

Now -- only Amelia Heinle left ! 

Edited by Cat

• Members

That would be nice.  Then, we could pretend (and for once, I wouldn't argue!) that he never existed, much like this show does with Dylan. 

Oh, well.  Bon voyage, Mr. Goddard.  A terrible terrific future in Hallmark and Lifetime original movies awaits you.

Edited by Khan

• Members

That's true.  And I've been saying the same thing since this news broke.  The major difference between the first time he was let go and now is that Angelica McDaniel isn't in charge at the network; and I'm still hoping that her absence will be the thing to make this second attempt at a firing "stick" as well.

But, you know, stranger things have happened.  Just because she's gone doesn't mean CBS won't cave under pressure from DG's stans.  That's why I remain cautiously optimistic.

• Members

What makes my blood boil about his statement is that he's indirectly blaming Christel wanting to move on with her life and Kristoff's DEATH as the reasons why the show doesn't want him on the canvas anymore. That's terribly low and disgusting of him, but we should expect that sh!t from him given the subliminal digs he took at poor Beth Maitland. 

The show gave him numerous opportunities to move in other directions (when they simply should have fired his ass LONG ago), but he purposely sabotaged them. 

He really thinks he's more important than he is. Good riddance. 

Edited by BetterForgotten