Y&R July 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

I really do feel like Lola is a lost cause at this point. I don't really think there is much of anything that can be done to make this character interesting. Or make the pairing with her and Kyle interesting. (Though I do think that the character of Kyle still has a lot of potential and would be fine if freed from her). I wish they would do more with Celeste and I really do feel like she's being isolated with mostly her family. And now it's being written that she got back together with her husband, which I feel is preventing her from mixing it up with someone like Jack. It's like Josh doesn't want to tarnish her image and is keeping her uptight/reserved.  I think she would be more interesting interacting with Jack/possibly going after him. I don't care for these plotlines with her and Lola. Her preventing them Kyle/Lola from living together is something that would be soapy in the 50s and I don't think her dating her husband is interesting either. 

I think they should show Chelsea and Adam less. Especially Adam. I like Mark Grossman but Adam is being shown too much and it feels like the writing for him is getting stale. I do wonder what is going on with him and Chance. I've seen some people speculate that him and Chance were undercover in some type of sting in Vegas and that may explain why Chance got involved with shady dealings. I Think that would be interesting and could give Adam a chance to play a more layered character like he did when he had amnesia. And Chance could also play a more layered character. Maybe Chance could have ended up enjoying participating in some of the shady dealings in spite of himself, and that may explain some of the news that is coming out about him, turning darker. 

On today's show it was mentioned that he had gotten involved in money laundering and other shady dealings. Maybe that ties into him possibly going undercover with Adam. 

Also, on today's show I actually liked Billy getting on Cane regarding Traci. I think he was already on edge because of Delia, but I thought him questioning Cane about Traci was funny. I was glad to see him show some concern for her. And I enjoyed seeing Jill on today's show and her interactions with Cane, Nikki and especially Jack. I wish she would come around more often, maybe she will once Chance comes back.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Y'all.  The more you talk about Lola being a lost cause and such, the more you hurt Angelica McDaniel's feelings.

Please register in order to view this content

I wish I could give a damn about Cane and Traci, but thanks to DG's underhanded tactics, I'm just wishing Beth Maitland had someone thing better to do.

• Members

On today's show Cane looked very happy when he was talking about Traci and her book.  Maybe DG has or will embrace this pairing more, I do like them together. Also Cane mentioned that he is selling the Ashby family home. I wonder if that is happening because they have gotten rid of that set or if maybe he will sell the home to someone in town. I wonder if:

Please register in order to view this content

I also wonder where Cane will live now that he is selling the Ashby family home. Maybe he and Sam will move into the Chancellor Mansion now that, the set is back. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

This has been my biggest complaint since they brought him back. They have completely erased the Adam that was played by Justin Hartley. He just randomly was evil again with no explanation as to why. And everyone hated him again, when he was actually cool with everyone before he got blown up.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

I guess we'll at least give him credit for tuning in just a little bit - given that the show has consistently been hitting all-time lows in the ratings for several weeks now. Something about the show clearly isn't resonating with its audience, and more so than the usual "daytime is dying anyway" sentiment. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

This is the farthest away from the show I've ever been. I come here maybe once a week to read opinions and see thats happening. Nothing I see is making me want to watch. I definitely think it's at an all time low and the ratings reflect that. 

• Members

It's clear that Griffith and Morina's "big bets" aren't working, and the ratings reinforce that. It's never a good idea to revolve a show around a recast (Adam), bring characters back for the sake of it with little direction or need (Kevin and Chelsea), and trying to force-feed pairings that have never worked and will never work (Kyle/Lola). On top of that, bringing back a polarizing actress (Stafford). 

Also, after they proved their worth during the week of Neil's death/Kristoff's tribute, the black cast is still treated with no respect or substantial story development. Maybe they're in a holding pattern until Mishael can return full-time, but that's not enough. 

It's just too many things at once and most of it is clearly not working and not what the audience at home seems to want. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Ana hasn't been on since last Monday, (And she won't be on today). That's like seven episodes she hasn't been featured. Yet IMO, her and Theo interacting more was the most interesting thing that happened during the week of these latest ratings. They really need to do better by the black cast as well as the young cast in general. 

I think they need to scale back on characters like Adam and Chelsea, because Adam is being run into the ground (and his story is starting to feel stale and boring) And Chelsea is not interesting either. I think that this show definitely needs more balance and better writing.

Edited by xtr