Recasts on shows: good, bad, in between

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Christine Tucci was a much better actor than Sandra Ferguson and much more convincing as an intelligent professional woman. I never thought of Vicky/Grant/Amanda as a love triangle because it was so much about Grant's need for power and control. And as such Amanda wasn't losing to Vicky (or later, Lorna), she was another woman Grant was abusing. I didn't need Amanda to be a romantic heroine.

• Members

I think both SSH and Robin came back to their respective shows feeling pressured to compete with either the tone of the show (Hayes) or in Robin's case, the network expectations. I've said for a long time that I think being cut by JFP traumatized Robin and that she came back determined never to be made to leave the show she loved again, and that she'd prove her worth by going hard and going big every single day so the brass would notice her effort. She did good work after returning in 2003, but she too often had about two speeds and rarely calmed down or went quiet. I'll always love Robin, but it hurt her performance.

• Members

I think the best recasts could be Christina/Blake on Guiding Light.  I think all 3 adult Blake's were great.  I also think McKinsey will always be the best Alexandra, but you know Marj Dusay and Joan Collins were really good.  I also liked Peter Simon as Ed, and Ron Raines as Alan.  For recasts, GL did pretty well over the years.  Laura Wright would always be the best Cassie but Forrester did OK.  The Mindy's, ditto - I liked Krista Tesreau but the Kimberly Simms and Barbara Crampton were fine in the role for me.  Ann Hamilton not.  Maureen I thought was Ellen Dolan until Ellen Parker took over the role...EP was better.   Oh and as someone mentioned, Wendy Moniz was Dinah to me...but Gina Tognoni was also very very good.  The previous Dinah...can't remember her name but went on to other shows, but I don't remember her as great as Dinah.   I know a lot of people had issues with Nancy Alban as Michelle but to me I thought she was much closer to the way Rachel Miner would have played an adult Michelle.

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

I think SSH's reason for going OTT is much like Strasser's. Reilly said he couldn't write for SSH -- meaning her character was too intelligent for his dumbed-down plotting -- so when he eventually brought her back she determined she was going to give him the cheap theatrics he adored. And she's never looked back. 

• Members

I always thought Strasser's stint as Hecuba on Passions made her realize OTT was the way of the future.  She is capable of subtle work (watch her in the 80s mini series Baby M where she played against type)... and her 80s turn as Dorian.  More subtle and played Dorian more close to the vest.

And regarding Michelle on GL.... I liked Miner the best, followed by Joie Lenz, than Budig and didn't like St Alban at all.

• Members

Maybe I am in the minority,but I did not care for the character of Jessica Buchanan til Bree Williamson took over the role.  She brought Jessica to adulthood with sexiness and charm.  Torpey's version was innocent and pure.  Like I said,maybe I am in the minority.