Recasts on shows: good, bad, in between

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I like RF as an actress but I've seen more of her characters being dour and angry as opposed to loving mother.  I always figured they wanted someone else, but grabbed her while they shopped around.

Judith McConnell was such an excellent replacement, though. She embodied the "movie-star" of Sophia Wayne while also being a grounded mother as Sophia Capwell in scenes  with her children.  She really was the perfect balance.  

• Members

I wonder why. Was a reason ever given? Did SB want Judith McConnell all along but she wasn't available right away? Did Rosemary Forsyth just not work out? 

In any case, I'm glad we got JM. Still, it would have been interesting to see RF with Jed Allan, as both of them were on DAYS at the same time in the late 70s.

• Members

Know what I find interesting? In an interview with Ciné Télé Revue in 1987, McConnell said this when asked if the role of Sophia was written for her:

No. At the origin, Sophia was a man, and it is besides a man who played her during the first four months from July to October 1984. At this point in time I received a call in New York asking me to play the character - under a man disguise always - in the two days. The time to take a plane and to unload in Los Angeles.

I don't know if the translation is all, but she did admit in another interview she auditioned in New York, via tape, to replace the performer who had been in the role. So, maybe, TPTB wanted a change for the role?

• Members

Would Rosemary Forsyth's departure and Judith McConnell's arrival line up with Mary-Ellis Bunim's arrival on the show? Ava Lazar mentioned that Bunim (the new producer) wanted to work with actors she had worked with in New York. I believe McConnell would fall into that category. 

• Members

We were. I was also disappointed when she was not involved with TOLN's production, though, I understand the why of the situation.

Mary-Ellis Bunim did not come in until November 1984 (despite Soap Opera Network reporting 1986). Judith McConnell debuted in October 1984, which would be the new co-executive producer in-question would be Charles Pratt, Sr., who was there October to November 1984.
Bunim was there when Ava Lazar exited the role of Santana, and is likely the producer she was speaking of.