Jump to content

What Are You Watching/Binging/Streaming Now?


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Khan said:

Yeah, "Farscape" was one series (of many) whose appeal remains lost on me.  It's a shame, too, because Ben Browder is one delicious piece of eye candy. ;)

IKR?  Usually, the supporting characters can be a series' saving grace.  With "Bones," however, I found them to be only slightly less annoying than Emily Deschanel.


Yeah, I was noticing Stargate SG1 fans seemed to love the addition of Browder and Black in the last 2 seasons. But I watched neither show while it was still in production so I didn't know who they were when they came along on SG1. Didn't really care for either of their characters on SG1 or those couple of seasons, for that matter.
As for Farscape, I did like their characters better there but the show itself, at least the first season, just didn't have a strong enough appeal for me to continue with it. And I wasn't that keen on the Henson Creature Shop muppets as regular characters. 

Not giving up on Bones just yet. I think I generally get somewhat turned off when characters are written with an attitude of "let me show you how smart, snarky and narcissistic I can be", which seems to be so prevalent the last decade or so. And this show seems to have several of them. And...every time I hear her being called "Bones", I think of Capt. Kirk and Dr. McCoy. 
 

Edited by applcin
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, applcin said:

Watched the first season of Farscape, with some fast forwarding. Not really loving it. Decided to read ahead to see if anything might entice me to stick with it but, nope, I'm over it. 

2 episodes into Bones. On the fence about it so far. The supporting characters in the lab are a bit annoying.

Well, to be fair...FARSCAPE doesn't get kicking until the last 4 episodes of Season 1. I too wasn't into it when it first started. Until I saw all those promo about this 4 part finale and the introduction of Scorpious as a deliciously bad (and leather clad) antagonist for our hero. His long game against Critchon was the main arc of Season 2 and worth the journey. But the potential started around the 'they took Pilot's arm in order to get home' episode and then it snowballed. Season 2 got by on being remixed sci-fi tropes before it took pushed into crazy new territory and darkness to me. Even though for pure creativity and drive I would say Season 3 was the best. 

22 hours ago, Khan said:

Yeah, "Farscape" was one series (of many) whose appeal remains lost on me.  It's a shame, too, because Ben Browder is one delicious piece of eye candy. ;)

 

 

IKR?  Usually, the supporting characters can be a series' saving grace.  With "Bones," however, I found them to be only slightly less annoying than Emily Deschanel.

He really was...and then they started putting him in leather pants all the time and it was just...wow.

 

Not feeling guilty at all for the main times I've rewinded for the camera angle I suspect they purposely did of him in them in a late Season 3 episode. lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Taoboi said:

Not feeling guilty at all for the main times I've rewinded for the camera angle I suspect they purposely did of him in them in a late Season 3 episode. lol.

 

As a comedian once said about someone else, "he's got a package UPS couldn't deliver." ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 8:20 PM, applcin said:

As for Farscape, I did like their characters better there but the show itself, at least the first season, just didn't have a strong enough appeal for me to continue with it. And I wasn't that keen on the Henson Creature Shop muppets as regular characters. 

 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:54 PM, Taoboi said:

Well, to be fair...FARSCAPE doesn't get kicking until the last 4 episodes of Season 1. I too wasn't into it when it first started. Until I saw all those promo about this 4 part finale and the introduction of Scorpious as a deliciously bad (and leather clad) antagonist for our hero. His long game against Critchon was the main arc of Season 2 and worth the journey. But the potential started around the 'they took Pilot's arm in order to get home' episode and then it snowballed. Season 2 got by on being remixed sci-fi tropes before it took pushed into crazy new territory and darkness to me. Even though for pure creativity and drive I would say Season 3 was the best. 

 

I'm sad applcin stopped, because, indeed, the show takes off at the end of Season 1 and becomes truly something wonderful to behold. Great characters added, strong story arcs with things becoming more serialized, a strong villain, LOTS of creativity and playing around with tropes. Halfway through Season 3 now and I love it more than ever. I would suggest at least watching the second season -- if it doesn't hook you in, then the show really isn't for you. LOL 

 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:54 PM, Taoboi said:

He really was...and then they started putting him in leather pants all the time and it was just...wow.

 

Not feeling guilty at all for the main times I've rewinded for the camera angle I suspect they purposely did of him in them in a late Season 3 episode. lol.

 

Outrageously hot man. Those leather pants were one of the best costuming decisions made on any show.

 

On 7/4/2019 at 1:47 AM, Khan said:

As a comedian once said about someone else, "he's got a package UPS couldn't deliver." ;)

 

:lol: Indeed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, YRBB said:

 

I'm sad applcin stopped, because, indeed, the show takes off at the end of Season 1 and becomes truly something wonderful to behold. Great characters added, strong story arcs with things becoming more serialized, a strong villain, LOTS of creativity and playing around with tropes. Halfway through Season 3 now and I love it more than ever. I would suggest at least watching the second season -- if it doesn't hook you in, then the show really isn't for you. LOL 

 


Scorpius was actually one of the things that had me ff-ing so he's not a selling point for me, lol. I got as far as the first 1 or 2 episodes of season 2 but still wasn't feeling it. At some future point, who knows...took me more than one attempt to like The Orville, for instance, which I had turned off in about 30 minutes of the premiere. I also had no familiarity with Seth M's work. But, somewhere between the potty humor, actual episodes about pottying and Seth's somewhat heavy-handed attempts at stating his stance on things, things started to morph for me...or the show morphed enough to make up for the clunky stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:47 PM, Khan said:

 

As a comedian once said about someone else, "he's got a package UPS couldn't deliver." ;)

Well, I wouldn't go that far. ;) 

 

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:32 AM, YRBB said:

 

 

I'm sad applcin stopped, because, indeed, the show takes off at the end of Season 1 and becomes truly something wonderful to behold. Great characters added, strong story arcs with things becoming more serialized, a strong villain, LOTS of creativity and playing around with tropes. Halfway through Season 3 now and I love it more than ever. I would suggest at least watching the second season -- if it doesn't hook you in, then the show really isn't for you. LOL 

 

 

Outrageously hot man. Those leather pants were one of the best costuming decisions made on any show.

 

 

:lol: Indeed.

What do you mean you don't want him to see the Season of Death (aka Season 3)? lol. But I understand. I cannot begin to tell you how much Season 3 drove me creatively when it was airing live. After not liking it to seeing it push my mind creatively was all kinds of a 180. I loved that they took old sci-fi tropes and turned it on its head throughout in Season 2. 

 

I remember converting an ex of mine and we got to Season 3, episode 4 and I was expecting him to cry due to what happened. Instead, it was him consoling me, something I barely reacted to the first time I was balling now. lol. 

 

Re: leather pants. Last scene Season 3 Into the Lion's Den Part 1. YW. :)

 

While BB is showing his age and acting it now (well, he is a good ole country boy IRL and always had been), yep, he could still get it. lol. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 8/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, applcin said:

Just thought I'd start a topic about what everybody's currently watching...like, maybe your regular shows aren't airing right now so you're tuning into something else, or you found time to watch something you'd been meaning to see, or something you discovered recently. Here are some of mine:

Detective Anna - a Russian show (with subtitles) on Amazon Prime. Takes place in the late 1800s in a small Russian town and it's about a 19 year old medium who unofficially helps the police solve crimes. It's pretty good.

The Doctors - I'm way behind but I've watched most of 1970 the last few weeks

I started some other older shows on my watch list during the summer but haven't binged them at this point:

Babylon 5 - couldn't last through 5 minutes of it and took it off the list. I think the silly spiked hair makeup jobs turned me off.
Earth Final Conflict - about the same as above. Just zzzzz...
Torchwood - watched 2 or 3 episodes so far...can't say I love it but will give it another chance or two before I decide
The Time Tunnel - 60s classic...kinda meh about it but that may partly be because it's on youtube in reduced-screen fashion (to avoid the copyright bot I guess)
Unsolved History (not to be confused with Unsolved Mysteries, which I binged earlier this year) 
Star Trek Into Darkness (film)....wow, that sucked on so many levels

I've made a bit of a game of things. Since I have a bunch of stuff on my watch lists and sometimes don't know what I feel like watching, I wrote them all down on little pieces of paper and folded them. When I don't know what to watch next, I'll pull one of the papers and watch at least an episode of whatever is written on it. :lol:

 

 

We were huge fans of BABYLON 5, own the DVD set and have seen it multiple times. We were huge fans of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, own the DVD set and have watched it multiple times. I have the full version DVD set of CAGNEY & LACEY. I loved watching GENTLEMAN JACK. I loved watching FosseVerdon & was thoroughly amazed that Michelle Williams has come so far that she seemed to be channeling Gwen Verdon! Just got through streaming BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY & then VITA & VIRGINIA. I had previously seen A STAR IS BORN with Lady Gaga and then QUEEN. Right now I am looking forward to next week when NBC comes back on Wednesday nights & Thursday night. I streamed something else on Amazon Prime but I am a total blank on the title, even though I liked it very much & met its creator on Facebook.

Oh, I know what it was! It was a 'little' flick called SNAPSHOTS that was another on Prime Video.

Edited by Donna B
Add 1 movie.
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 10:34 PM, Vee said:

Sharp Objects

Castle Rock

Doctor Who

The Keepers

Dark

One Day at a Time

Channel Zero: Butcher's Block

Iron Fist (oy)

Penance

Fuller House

 

very behind on:

The Staircase

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Bloodline (final season)

Oh, we loved Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt!

7 minutes ago, Antoyne said:

I just finished The Man in the High Castle’s first 3 seasons on Amazon Prime. Excited to see the final season once it premieres in November.

Really enjoyed that one!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Donna B said:

Oh, we loved Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt!

Really enjoyed that one!

It’s so good even though I pretty much hated the three leafs. It has such a strong supporting cast.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...