Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The lighting is terrible on the show. Mal has turned up the harsh spotlights and it's not flattering to the sets or the actors.  Poor Judith Chapman.  She looked dead with all that pancake make up and the interrogation lighting.  Come on Mal, get the gauze back on the lenses and use the dimmers.  JFP really wrecked the cool Wisconsin sets.  It's garish Hollywood and Palm Springs sets.

• Members

It was obvious that Faith would choose to live with Victor and Nikki from a mile away, but it was all worth it for Nick's heartbroken reaction in the end. God, I enjoyed that. I mostly liked that Noah talked some sense into Nick (and he looked GOOD).

I like Esther going back to the Chancellor Estate. I'm not sure why she couldn't work at Crimson Lights still but I think maybe the writers are establishing someone in the mansion for Jill. In the end, it feels right that Esther is at the estate. Sad, partly, that she can never leave, but in a good kind of way. 

I'll admit, it was fun seeing Gloria again (but not looking at her -- Lord, that trip in the box must have been ROUGH). But everyone's reactions were funny. Now, I hope they don't overuse her. Please God, no.

Also, unrelated note, we actually didn't get those super quick opening credits within a minute or two. There was a five minute opening. That's cool. Always hated those short jumpy scenes right into the opening credits. 

• Members

Faith deciding to say with Victor and Nikki was the smartest thing to do....and I agree about Nick's reaction, though I sort of took some perverse pleasure out of Nick not getting his way...LOL

I actually loved Gloria's scenes, even if I know how overused she always was.......LOVED the shade towards Jeffery!.....don't have to see him again...

All the longer scenes are glorious.....but again...where is that music???

• Members

I understand where Faith is coming from as well as Victor's reasoning...BUT it still pissed me off that HER ACTUAL PARENTS are expected not to have a say in the matter. Everyone was treating them like jerks for not initially warming to the idea of Faith staying with Victor and Nikki. They were all acting as if Sharon and Nick should be totally cool with their daughter not wanting to live with either of them. I can't help it but it just made Faith seem spoiled. No one tells her that although she is going through a rough time, running away is not the answer. She's being taught that if things aren't going her way, she should run from her problems. And it seems like the entire family is enabling that mentality. 

• Members

Shackelford had his moments as Jeffrey, and I wouldn't mind seeing the character again, I just don't see the point of it. We'll see how long they intend to keep Gloria.

Ditto, again, on the lighting. Mal probably won't go darker with the camera, which is a sad thing.

• Members

I'm catching up on the week, but I did want to say I really dug the Victor/Nikki conversation a few days ago about how none of his children want the business he built. I actually felt for the old man for the first time in I dunno how long.

The beats they quietly played with both Phyllis and Noah re: Victor were also good. The ridiculous villainy the show has pushed on him is basically impossible to dig a character out of unless they are a fundamental part of the show as Victor is at this point. I'm curious to see what the writers will do.

Amelia Heinle has moments and days where she impresses me, and I loved her on the ABC soaps back in the day. But she always seems so ill-suited here. Any spurt of cold, driven businesswoman Victoria seems to only last days, and then she's right back to looking like she rolled out of bed in her own clothes and walked on-camera. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much Y&R can do about the Heinle situation.

Archived