Y&R September Discussion

• Members

I LOVE THAT MAL YOUNG IS GIVING SALLY MCDONALD SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT EPISODES.  SHE WAS RELEGATED TO ONE EPISODE A WEEK UNDER JFP WHILE FOJ OWEN RENFROE (WHO'S DIRECTING ON YR IS LACKLUSTER) GOT DOUBLE THE NUMBER OF EPISODES.  SALLY IS CLASS ACT.  SHE WILL WIN THE SHOW THE DIRECTING EMMY THIS YEAR

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a good question, Adam.  I would say just jump in starting Monday and see what happens.  The show feels like it's on an upswing and with the writing change happening, it's prolly a good time to start.

If you have questions, this thread has tons a great people to help you out.  

• Members

I'm on the fence the Billy/Phyllis affair exposure. On one hand the show is looking great and clearly well directed. On the other hand some of the dialogue has been atrocious. 

For example Nick and Summer's conversation in today's episode was baaaad. Summer sounded like she was a fifteen year old girl and Nick sound like he was talking to a preteen. "That's mature!" made me laugh.  Then Jack going to Jill "I'll get you for this!" was laughably bad too and the scene seemed illogical.

Billy calling out Victoria on her hypocrisy was fun. Why is rich Travis living with her now? 

• Members

Perhaps.  I like GT since her Dinah days but she seems to play Phyllis either very masculine or a wet noodle, and that's prolly more a knock on the writing/direction than her interpretation.

I'm hoping that Mal and SSM introduce more shades of gray to the characterizations.  That's what always made Phyllis (and others) intriguing.  You never really knew wtf she was up to. 

• Members

I tuned in tonight (by 'tuned in' I mean watched online days later), specifically to see what the Phyllis/Billy reveal would yield but I wonder what others thought of the camera work in those scenes between Phyllis and Jack?  I thought it was weird-- it seemed like a strange mix of Blair Witch and a scenes out of a movie from the 1960s. Maybe if those scenes were in Black and White and it were highly stylized it might not matter but this seems like quite a departure for Y&R.  Since I've only watched less than a handful of episodes over the past year maybe this has become a regular thing?  Has it?

@soapfan770, ITA with you about the conversation between Summer and Nick. It seems like Y&R has yet to decide whether Summer is an adult or still a teen. It sounded like a conversation that a 15 year old would have with their father. Perhaps if Summer was only just now finding out about her parents conceiving her through an affair, the scenes might have been a bit more convincing but this Summer has already been married, gone through a murder mystery and almost married another guy. It just seems weird that she'd be asking questions that make her sound like she is a total naif.

Maybe now they'll give Jack a spine, which he's been missing for a very long time but I wonder if it's too little too late to mold this character to what he once was under Terry Lester.

On a positive note, the mid-show bumpers look pretty snazzy.

ETA- I do appreciate how they are shooting the exterior shots now- they kinda have an Eastender-ish feel to it. And juxtaposing the flashback scene next to Summer sitting on the bench offered a unique perspective, I'm not sure I love it, but I don't hate it.B)

Archived