Y&R September Discussion

• Members

I get wanting to mute someone, but I'm rolling my eyes just as hard as those ripping Peter Bergman to shreds. I mean, GMAFB. 

Maybe Bergman's no Oscar winner, but he's not terrible, either, and he hasn't been boring or looked bored. Some of you really overdo the criticism. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I've never been a big fan of Aunt Jack, I will credit when an actor is committed - and PB was definitely locked in his scenes. He has some weird quirks and it's not perfect, but if this is what gets Jack back to revenge and StePhyllis away from him once and for all (please let GT stop crying - she's too fierce for this). Compared to where the writing was even a month ago, I'm not going to complain. 

I don't see Travis long for the show. The insta-romance with Victoria has really boxed the relationship in. Travis has zero ties to GC - that we know of - and honestly, his screen time could be give to any number of other characters. Anybody in the Newman family could step in and say the exact same things Travis says to Victoria about Billy. Nick could've come storming down the stairs the other day to kick Billy out. Today, the convo on the couch could've been Nick, Abby, Nikki, even Summer, etc. 

• Members

My opinion is an opinion.  You're allowed to think Peter is great, I'm allowed to think he isn't great.  It's an opinion.  But I did watch for about 20 minutes today - the writing was much better.  Today PB was better.  In my books - Eileen Davidson killed it today - she was awesome but the writing was really good.  Her reading Phyllis the riot act yet very subtle...was not something I've seen out of her in several years.  Not someone I would praise as good.  But in a couple of scenes she was really good.  Not just when she read Phyllis for filth, but more subtle when she watched Jack basically become Evil-Jack again.  She didn't say much there, but that's acting.  She watched him and fell apart because she sees what is happening.   

Her fellow actors and actresses need to suggest and push for Eileen Davidson in those scenes for an Emmy Nomination.  I'm not in the business, I'm not affiliated with the show - I'm just a viewer.  To me she was great today.  It was also great to see Gina Tognoni dialed back a little bit.  It will help people to like the character a little bit which has kind of left that character.  Today's show sizzled to me - and I don't give compliments very often.  The camera angles - people complain about....they were good to me, in the right place it adds to a frantic scene, or suspense, etc.  The sets and show look great - and the writing is coming along.  I want to know who is doing the writing. 

• Members

Haha, it was me, I mentioned that it had sort of a Blair Witch effect at worst and at best, a kind of dizzying effect from one of those movies from the 1960s and suggested that maybe had it been Black & White, I might have found it less distracting.  

You know, it's funny, it made me wonder whether those argument scenes between Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? was a model for the Phyllis, Jack argument scenes. It would be some irony if those movie scenes served  as a template as Edward Albee died just days ago.

I didn't see today's episode but @Fevuh reminded me about Ashley and how watching her in the episode I had watched when she confronts Billy, made me think "This woman needs to have her own storyline STAT". She was that good when I saw her, so she definitely needs to be given Emmy worthy material because she will certainly give it life!

• Members

Click on your own screen name at the top right of the page. Then look at the list and choose ignore users. You can enter the person you want to block from there.

I do think the show has been better recently.  I'm not sure it's sustainable, but I'm hopeful. I completely agree that ED was excellent today.  Just sitting there watching the tears well up in her eyes while she watched Jack revert to type was perfect. I think long term viewers especially could imagine all the things she was thinking about. All the times Jack really hurt Ashley just so he could stick it to Victor or get control of Jabbot were right there on her face as well as empathy for what Jack was going through. I'm really going to need this to be the end of Jack and Phyllis. If he takes her back after this I will be truly disgusted.

Jill pretending to jog just so she could run into Travis was fun.  It was also nice to see Michael and Phyllis in scenes together.

• Members

Funny - I thought the same thing about Travis and Jill.  He mentioned about getting the price tag off of her shoes.  That's what this show needs more of...a little comedy here and there. Y&R has always been so heavy to me, and I think you can mix in a little bit of this. 

• Members

I wasn't a fan of the Phyllis and Jack confrontation scenes being filmed in shaky cam style, though I understand why it might fit.

Hopefully directing gets fixed on the show as well, along with the old music scores.

Maybe someone can also do something about the lighting, the darker feel is Y&R is about. The outside scenes are okay, but it's still jarring how light the show looks. We have a scene at the Abbott mansion (which is still quite dark) followed by someone in the park and me thinking I need to put on my sunglasses.

Archived