Worst character names

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Re: Greenlee on AMC - I read somewhere that the writers wanted a surname that sounded pretentious for Woodruff and Millicent that they could also use for their spoiled granddaughter, and that someone on the writing staff pulled Greenlee out of the NYC phonebook. What's sad is that since Greenlee's appearance on AMC, I actually know several women who named their real, live, human babies Greenlee after her. :/

Spike on AMC made me want to hurl something at the TV. I get using it as a nickname for your fetus, okay fine. I called my fetus Little Bean. I did not NAME her Bean though. Erica Kane's first born grandson is really named SPIKE? angry.png I don't understand why Ryan, Zach and Erica didn't stage some sort of intervention and insist that the poor child have a real name, and let Kendall just call him Spike. Speaking of Ryan, I seem to recall that his middle name is Aloysius. Not sure whose bright idea that was.

Babe drove me crazy as well. I get that it was her nickname, and that her real name was Arabella, but she was originally introduced by JR to the entire family as "Babe." Not "She goes by Babe, but her real name is Arabella." No, just Babe. Babe is not a real name.

Going back into the AMC archives, I thought Billy Clyde Tuggle was a ridiculous name but Matthew Cowles made it work.

I used to roll my eyes at B&B naming major characters Ridge, Brooke and Thorne. I will admit though to liking that Brooke and Ridge's daughter was named Bridget, because it was a perfect blend of their names AND it was a nice, normal, real name...and then they went and made Eric her father, thus defeating the entire point of her name. closedeyes.jpg

I will admit that I don't mind surnames as given names as a way of honoring family heritage (I liked Liza naming her daughter Colby, for example, and I loved David and Anna naming their daughter Leora Devane Hayward, after Leo), but I do dislike the way that soaps tend to slap family names together just for the sake of "honoring" a character, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. I didn't mind KWAK naming Tad's daughter Jenny after his sister even though it was pretty dated and out of style as a name by the time she was born, and I could even maybe understand why she'd want to honor Colby, who delivered the baby, but Jenny Colby Martin is a crap name. Why couldn't they name her Jennifer Colby? Or Bianca naming her daughter Miranda Mona Montgomery - it's an awful mouthful. Surely there is another Shakespearian name she could have used with Mona that would have been less obnoxious and alliterative, and we wouldn't have had to listen to Kendall call the poor child MiMo.

I also loathe the trend of giving babies or young hot characters "old people" names. Someone mentioned Phyllis and Sharon upthread, and I have to agree that those are horrible names for young, hot characters. On AMC, I cringed when Dimitri told a pregnant Erica they should name their baby Mona Marick if it was a girl. No. Just... no. I also shook my head when Tad and Dixie's daughter Kate went the rest of the show as Kathy. I get that that was her name when Tad got her back, but really, who names a child born in the 2000s Kathy? On the flip side for me is adults running around with childish nicknames. I never understood why Jamie Martin continued to go by Jamie even into adulthood and never insisted on being called James or some other nickname.

• Members

Jewell Maniscalco(Christine Baranski on AMC)

Eudora Weldon(Barbara Rush, Flamingo Road)

Verla Grubbs(Carol Burnett, AMC)

I never heard Trey for third before those two, I always thought Trip made more sense.

Nigel Penny-Smith(GH, Bernard Fox)

Tic de Cosgrove(unknown actor...AW)

• Members

I hated the name Spike and Brennan too. BB could use a bunch of last names as first names if they want to; Logan Forrester, Logan Spencer, Spencer Forrester.

Some "old" names for girls are popular again like Agnes, Clara, Cora, Nora, and Sadie so look for a few of those to pop up on somewhere on tv.

• Members

Yep. I know three children under the age of five named Mabel, in additional to kids named Walter, Hazel, Nora, Vera, and Oliver. :/

I'm in my mid-30s, and had I been a boy, I would have been given my father's name, and been the third generation to carry the name. My parents had planned to nickname me Trey. I've seen Trey used many, many times for the third, but never Trip. I have to admit that Trey doesn't bother me, but Trip would.

• Members

:lol: An homage to Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Dame Judith Anderson (Minx!) played Big Mama in the movie.

I liked how Dynasty/The Colbys would somewhat curb the ridiculousness of their OTT soapy names. Many of them were nicknames (Dex, Sable) or more glamorous names the characters gave themselves (Dominique Deveraux, Caress, Zachary Powers). Like daytime's Felicia Gallant (Fannie Grady) and Sydney Chase (Debbie Thompkins).

Myrna Clegg and Myrna Slaughter are awful in the best way. Just anvils.

Archived