Worst character names

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My brother named his son Trey, even though he wanst named after anyone. To be honest, before he did that, I planned on naming my first son Trey as well. My grandma was crazy though. She never could get over the fact that he named his child after a plate, in her words...lol

• Members

Depends on how "old." Right now it's the names of our grandparents' and great-grandparents' generation that are being dusted off and given new life with tons of little Sophias and Henrys and Mabels and Olivers. It's the names of my parents' generation that seem kind of "stale" to me.

I think though that soaps have a unique ability to capitalize on naming trends by grabbing a name as it's beginning a steep ascent up the popularity charts, assigning it to a new character who is probably a bit old to have that name, and then contributing to the rise in popularity of the name as the character becomes more popular. Take Kendall for example. Kendall as a girl name did not break the Social Security name index top 1000 in 1970, which is when Kendall Hart would have been born. As a boy name, Kendall peaked in popularity about 1990. But as you get into the early 90s, the name begins to skyrocket in popularity for girls, and by 2012, it's ranked as the 116th most popular name for baby girls born that year. I believe AMC played a role in that.

Depends on how "old." Right now it's the names of our grandparents' and great-grandparents' generation that are being dusted off and given new life with tons of little Sophias and Henrys and Mabels and Olivers. It's the names of my parents' generation that seem kind of "stale" to me.

I think though that soaps have a unique ability to capitalize on naming trends by grabbing a name as it's beginning a steep ascent up the popularity charts, assigning it to a new character who is probably a bit old to have that name, and then contributing to the rise in popularity of the name as the character becomes more popular. Take Kendall for example. Kendall as a girl name did not break the Social Security name index top 1000 in 1970, which is when Kendall Hart would have been born. As a boy name, Kendall peaked in popularity about 1990. But as you get into the early 90s, the name begins to skyrocket in popularity for girls, and by 2012, it's ranked as the 116th most popular name for baby girls born that year. I believe AMC played a role in that.

• Members
I credit the creation of Ashley Abbott in 1982 as the reason for skyrocketing popularity of the girls name Ashley in the early 80s.

There's a quite a few girls names that were popular during my generation (X) like Angela, Jennifer, Kimberly, Melissa, Sharon and Stephanie that aren't used that much at this time.

Archived