DAYS: November 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Finally got around to watching Monday - Wednesday this week. Although been super busy, I've also been dreading watching DAYS post-Eileen. Anyway, it's definitely slower paced, but it was still very watchable for me.

Patsy Pease surprised me with her understated performance. I thought she was going to whirl into town and slam the door of the Brady Pub while shouting "D-raaahm-aah!". But none of that. I dare say I really enjoyed her and Charles S with Theresa and can totally buy Jen Lilley as their daughter. Patsy looks much better now, but her inability to blink is a bit disconcerting.

I don't find Nick creepy, I find him puppy dog annoying. I think I will miss Camilla Banus - she was awful when she started on this show, but I really like her now. Who knew?

Nicole/Abe scenes were nice.

EJ/Sami are FF material again. Not really interested in them without Kristen/Stefano/Justin/Adrienne in the mix.

Will catch up Thu-Fri over the weekend, but the good news is the show doesn't feel like scorched earth - I was worried it would.

• Members

The bolded of what you posted does not apply though. Seeing as no parties threatened violence toward one another. EJ did not threaten to hurt Lucas if Sami didn't sleep with him, nor did he threaten to hurt Sami. He neither promised vengeance on them if she didn't sleep with him. Sami wanted EJ to lift a log off of Lucas which she couldn't lift, EJ refused unless she agreed to do something for him. He was under no force to comply with her wishes based on Sami's wishes. Assuming that he had to help Lucas is ridiculous. EJ didn't cause Lucas accident, if he had then you would have a point. He did nothing to cause ill regard to either of them though neither point applies.

They had an agreement and sex was used as payment in exchange for assistance. Prostitution yes, rape no.

• Members

I used prostitution as a point of payment for sex, that is the technical term. Obviously Sami didn't pimp herself out to EJ. However the comparison applies as EJ wanted sex for a favor in terms of exchange. And EJ did not threaten to shoot Sami if she refused to sleep with him. If that was the case he never would have saved Lucas. That wasn't what happened nor was it the terms of the agreement, try again.

• Members

That's what I remembered. I don't recall Sami ever fearing for her life in that vehicle. She wanted EJ's help saving Lucas, and he agreed in exchange for sex.

I think the gun was used so that when the subject came up, and they wanted to have a good argument for Sami, they could always say she feared for her life. That is NOT what transpired onscreen.

After the sex, didn't EJ keep his end of the bargain?

• Members

Exactly. How scared for her life was she if she made him uphold his point of the bargain?

Sami was never afraid to go toe to toe with EJ. Which is why I never bought Sami as being a victim. He didn't rape her. They exchanged a deal amongst thieves. One Sami was sore on, but ultimately complied with because it was her best chance to get what she wanted. How is that any different from her regular schemes and piss poor judgement on a good day? The show wanted Sami to be this uber-heroine and in order to save face for the Lumi relationship and the character of white washed Sami the show's writers cried rape some 8 months after the event happened. I never bought it.

• Members

This is a topic on which we will never agree, and I have been having the argument for years. Just because we want something, does not make it so.

As repulsive as it was, Sami and EJ made a deal. He would help Lucas if she had sex with him. EJ was not obligated to help Lucas, and while this makes him a bad Samaritan, he's not a rapist! Sami could have left that vehicle and looked for help elsewhere, but EJ's deal was easier because Sami has always been an idiot.

I'm more than happy to agree to disagree here.

• Members

Impossible. Since she wasn't forced or threatened during the time EJ propositioned her. As it's been said before Sami could have said no at any point in time and tried to find someone else to save Lucas. Instead she chose EJ to help her, which meant she had to have sex with him for his assistance. It was a bargain, in which two people committed to doing two things they did not want, to receive something they wanted from the other under a mutual agreement. They made a deal, period.

If I go to the bank to seek a loan, and then default on said loans agreements after I agree to them, I don't get to say the bank stole my house from me. Sami doesn't get to beg for EJ's help, agree to his terms and then say he raped her, after he does what she wanted him to do per the agreement they made.

Rape doesn't apply in this case.

This has nothing to do with James Scott. This has to do with the writing that was given in that scene.

Archived