DAYS: November 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

Did anyone here watch Tomlin/Whitesell/Broderick's OLTL? How does it compare to their DAYS stint? There doesn't seem to be much in that oral history of OLTL thread.

I know Tomsell mainly from Sunset Beach and their first DAYS stint (which is hard to split out what was theirs and what was Higley's). Although there is some camp on the show now, it's minimal compared to what they did on Sunset Beach, much more restrained. I really loved DAYS in 2009 (baby switch, Stefano/Victor war, Stephanie gets kidnapped by Wes Ramsey, Vivian returned nicely) before it all turned to poop in 2010 (baby switch never ending, Vivian turned into a cartoon, Ejami/Safe ad-nauseum, Rafe2) - I tend to credit the good stuff with Tomsell and the bad with Higley, but I could be way off base.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But again Sami has no proof of this, she is going simply on Eric's word here (something that Brady doesn't even seem to believe, if Brady doesn't believe it why should EJ?).

EJ dismantled her side of the argument quite quickly once he told her, that she would not have believed him if an hour before the wedding he told her that Kristen and Eric had sex. Which is what he knew and which is what the facts were. Sami tried to get out of it by telling EJ "not to lawyer her." Which is basically Sami's concession that she isn't being logical in her responses. He broke her down and Sami didn't have a point to stand on once that happened. This lead to her usual bombastic exit. Ultimately Sami doesn't have anything to be angry about, which made this argument baseless. Sami being hysterical was just a matter of form, there was nothing behind it. She's upset that Eric was taking advantage of and is taking it out on EJ because Kristen left town.

• Members

Sami doesn't need proof.

Sami believes Eric that he was drugged and raped. Because of his mystery illness, because he is her twin and when he said it she knew it was true, because it quite clear Kristen was lying. She also knows ej well, and that text made it clear he knew what happened. He didn't deny knowing, he just denied that Eric was drugged and in fact suggested he was the predator. Sami knows this isn't true. Does she have absolute proof? No. But she doesn't need to.

Telling ej not to go lawyer on her is not her admitting she's being illogical. It's her saying this isn't a court of law and to treat her like his fiancé not someone on the witness stand and tearing her apart.

I fail to see how Sami shouldn't be angry that her brother was raped and her fiancé knew and didn't tell her.

And using Brady not believing Eric for the logic? First off, Brady is the biggest moron on soaps. Second, Brady does believe Eric now. And third, EJ knows Eric was raped.

• Members

Sami can certainly be angry about Eric's situation. No one is telling her not to feel what she is feeling, but her emotional responses are not the basis for what is right and what is wrong in this context. What happened to Eric was horrible. But she needs to open up to the fact that other people are going to have other reactions that might not mirror her own, in regards to the situation. There is nothing to suggest that Kristen out and out raped Eric, except Eric's own word which numerous other characters in the show have admitted to not believing. Kristen herself even tried to make it look consensual. Ultimately Sami is transferring her anger from Kristen to EJ because Kristen is unavailable to her, which again is not logical.

Sami also knows what it is like to have to cover for others whom she loves, so lets not act like this is brand new territory for both of them. Sami is just angry that this time EJ's loyalty wasn't solely for her benefit.

• Members

Sami has no reason to believe it was consensual. The people that doubt him aren't as close to Eric as she is and no one else's opinion matters to her anyway. Eric is her twin and she believes him 100%. There is no doubt in her eyes bc she knows him and well she is right. I find it endearing that she is unwavering in her support for her brother here. As EJ pointed out, she did the same thing to Austin that Kristen did to Eric so she more than anyone should know that what Eric is saying is likely true. They didn't bring it up, but she herself was raped so that adds another layer of empathy that she'd have for her brother. Her reaction was spot on and she's justified in her anger. I don't think it's enough to end their engagement, move out and keep EJ from the kids so hopefully she calms down before it gets that far

its not like it would require much time and he wouldn't need to be standing for a phone call

• Members

I don't really have a problem with Sami's supporting her brother. I think its fine that she believes Eric and wants to stand by him. But just because Sami believes him doesn't mean that others automatically will which she needs to come to terms with (including the fact that her fiance may not see the situation the same way she does) . Like I said before Sami's anger needs to be directed towards Kristen, not EJ.

• Members

But this isnt a simple disagreement over what happened over some trivial mater like your trying to spin it.

Her brother was raped. EJ knew it and did not tell her, and was going to cover for Kristen. He in turn accused her brother of taking advantage of his sister to try and keep his lie going after he was busted. Does smai has absolute definitive proof that ej knew it was rape? No, but she doesnt need it because it isnt exactly hard to believe. As for other characters not believing it, i think it was clear by the end of the wedding only Kristen, EJ were trying to sell it as a reverse and Brady refused to believe it but came around.

And this isnt even touching on how absolutely disgusting and vile it was for EJ, who raped Sami, to throw her raping Austin in her face as some kind of way to try and defend Kristen. The writing for EJ in that episode and the way JS played it out was just awful.

• Members

I never said the matter was trivial. But as I said before Sami's beef is with Kristen in this matter. It's not as if EJ helped Kristen rape Eric. Or even as if EJ taped it, black mailed Eric or did anything to further aid Kristen in raping Eric. What EJ knew is that Kristen slept with Eric in order to get back at Marlena. That's really all he knew. He had never seen the tape, so it's not even as if he was hiding the fact that a tape existed. You are obviously on Sami's side so you aren't looking at this from an objective point of view. It's not obvious that Eric was raped to anyone who looks at the situation without partisan to either side. It's ridiculous to automatically assume that Kristen raped Eric as nothing points to that besides Eric's word.

EJ wanted to keep Kristen's dalliances a secret, which would have also salvaged Eric's reputation within the church community (who view Eric's sexual encounter with Kristen a sacrilege to the church). Which is something Sami should understand as she has done that multiple times for her own family. Like EJ explained to her he was trying to contain the situation for minimum fall out. Blaming EJ for Eric's rape is illogical though, as I have said multiple times, which Sami seems to be doing as she can't hold Kristen accountable.

As to EJ bringing up the fact that Sami is a rapist, she is. Tough cookies for those who wish to see Sami as the purest virgin in Salem. Kristen and Sami have multiple things in common.

The less said about that particular "rape" the better. rolleyes.gif The writers never knew how to write it and it never made any sense once they decided to move past that night.

• Members

No, her issue isn't with Kristen. She has a separate issue with Kristen. She has a. Very valid issue with ej in his not telling her, in his trying to spin it so her brother was made out to be the aggressor and not the victim of rape. If he had t known and not told her and attacked Eric then she wouldn't have gone off with him. It isn't as simple as her pushing her issues with Kristen into her.

And as for their rape. In general I agree. Totally it shouldn't be mentioned cuz it was a disaster and truly a badly written a Tory and the characters hav moved on from it. However, they can't have Sami and EJ debate rape, have him throw her raping Austin in her face, have this rape be such an issue for them and not bring up his rape of her. It felt very forced and worked as not to mention it.

• Members

EJ already addressed the reasons in which he couldn't tell Sami, which she more or less confirmed. They seem to now be arguing about if the rape happened or not, which they may never agree on. Which is why I say Sami's problems are with Kristen in that regard. She may not like that EJ didn't tell her, but I think she more or less understands why he didn't -- Sami has done similarly so I don't think Sami will hold out on that for very long. She understands cognitively why EJ didn't tell her, even if her emotions are blinding her to truly accepting it.

You misunderstood my comments in regards to the Ejami "rape", I think it should never be brought up because what happened in that story wasn't rape.

As to EJ bringing up that Sami raped Austin, if Sami is going to hypocritically demonize Kristen for doing the same thing she did than someone needs to bring her down a peg or 12. If not EJ than someone else needs to remind her of what she did.

• Members

EJ raping Sami is debatable and I don't want to get into all that here, but it wasn't under the same circumstances as what Kristen did to Eric. What Sami did to Austin however was. EJ brought it up bc Sami was attacking Kristen for something, she herself had done. He was trying to make a point, not condemn her for it. Even if the EJ incidence was brought up, it would have done nothing to help Sami's case. She forgave and fell in love with said "rapist", kind of like Austin did with her. With this logic and her history, EJ could turn around and say maybe she should be a bit more forgiving with Kristen considering she has forgiven and has been forgiven for rapes which directly involved her. Yeah, I don't see how this would have strengthened her argument

• Members

This past week was amazing!

1) The continuing Kristen reveal and aftermath was pure gold! Amazing kudos to the writers, directors, and especially ED, GV, DH, and EM. The drama continued unfolding all week with Kristen/Eric in the park, Kristen/Marlena at DiMansion, Kristen/Nicole car chase and Kristen getting away, Sami finding out EJ knew, even the Daniel/Maggie stuff wasn't bad as it didn't center around Daniel.

2) Loved the T and Abby scenes ( T babysitting Ari was hilarious) and I also really like Abby/Jordan friendship, and seeing JJ have scenes with Sonny/T. I love it when Days remembers to write friendships. They are just as important as the romances.

3) Loved Eric's line to Kristen when he found her in the woods. "God showed me the way."

4) Best acting of the week HAS to go to Eileen! She is SO going to be missed. I really hope Days persuades her back. She is such a good actress - I was even believing her lies and feeling sorry for her!

5) Loved hearing EJ bring up the show's history in Sami's face "what drug you used to get Austin to sleep with you."

6) The car chase was so good from a visual/cinematography standpoint. Of course Salem always looks better at night, but the car scenes were well done. Does anyone even remember the last time we saw someone driving a car on Days?

7) This is a minor detail... but it's one I appreciate. I've noticed that recently in the Brady Pub there is a picture of Caroline/Grandpa Shawn behind the counter and in the DiMansion on the bookshelf behind the piano there are pictures of Sydney, Johnny, Theo, and Lexie/EJ. I love these small details that respect the show's history and families. Nice touches Days!

Archived