DAYS: November 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To compare what happened to prostitution is nothing but victim blaming given that Sami did not solicit sex from EJ nor offer it in exchange for helping Lucas. It was EJ's plan, it disgusted her, and when he started having sex with her she was crying her eyes out. It doesn't matter if EJ didn't explicitly threaten to shoot Sami if she wouldn't let him have sex with her. He had a gun and had pointed at her menacingly while grabbing and threatening her just a few minutes earlier. He didn't throw the gun out the window or unload it, so it was still at his disposal and thus a viable threat to her. After he raped her, he threatened to kill her after she slapped him and told him to stay away from Lucas and her son. He had threatened to shoot his way through the police roadblock earlier. He'd revealed himself to be a deranged, violent sociopath. She had no way of knowing whether refusing his "bargain" or fighting him more physically would set him off and make him shoot her or Lucas. It very well could have for all she knew, especially given his vile taunts about holding Lucas's life between her legs. Plus, she was still desperate to get help for Lucas and he knew it. And even when they got to the cabin, EJ was very little help. He moved the log only after whining about it, didn't even want to do that much, and left them there.

Amen!

EJ was not obligated to help Lucas. He also wasn't obligated to hold a gun on Sami and force her to get him through a police roadblock, threatening to kill the police if she failed. Nor was he obligated to tell her he wanted to have sex with her right there or else Lucas would die, knowing how desperate she was. He could have just gone on his merry, psychotic way and left her alone. But he didn't. Instead he used her fear of him and desperation to save the life of her then only child's father against her and that is what makes him a rapist. That and the fact that he got more turned on the more disgusted and unwilling she became.

It's a rape scene and was written as one. Sami called it rape before it happened so don't even try and pretend that she only "decided" it was rape after it was over. She knew what it was before it happened and was utterly disgusted by it and him. Why else would she look so defeated and humiliated after it was over, going so far as to tell him that he'd scarred her for life but she'd find a way to get through it? People aren't scarred for life by simple agreements and bargains. She was scarred because that's not what happened. She was raped via coercion and thinly veiled threats against her, Lucas, and the police.

• Members

Caught up on Thursday and Friday now. Not much to say really - nothing spectacular, nothing really sucky.

I'm glad Nicole/Daniel got that crap out of their system quickly.

Marlena/Victor was great. Jenn/Eric was a nice beat to play as well.

Alison Sweeney looks amazing, but her wardrobe is not flattering for her. The new styling crew and Richard Bloore have made excellent choices for most the cast lately, it makes me wonder if she picks her own clothes or if the show makes a conscious choice to play up Sami's crass style - it does fit the character at least, if not the actress.

As for for the Ejami was-it-rape-or-not discussion Volume 4 billion, I tend to think of it as rape. But she shot him in the head later on, so they are both vile. The only reason I tolerate Ejami is because it beats the alternative of Sami and her revolving triangles that consumed this show for years. I don't care for Ejami but I don't care for Safe or Lumi either so I was happy when she finally picked one and the show got past that excruciating hell to watch.

• Members

Ultimately one can't have it both ways. Either Sami was terrified of EJ enough to say yes or she was willing to make a deal with him to save Lucas' life. There is no way that Sami would have been okay with seeking EJ's help if she was as you say afraid for her life, the life of her fiance and her child. Believing he was a homicidal maniac who would kill her and Lucas point blank does not mesh with the idea of her wanting this man to help her save Lucas' life. If Sami was truly that afraid of him she would have gotten out of that car immediately and found help elsewhere. Not spend more time in a car with a man who she felt was mentally unstable and was out to kill her and her family. That makes no sense and is not logical. Ultimately Sami still felt safe enough that she was willing to bargain with this man to save Lucas' life, which is where I assert the claim that it wasn't rape. She made a deal with the devil in order to save Lucas' life. That is not rape. It's a bad decision.

None of this is rape though. EJ used Sami as she was the one who set him up with John Black in the first place. More over Sami was the one who pulled over for him to get into her car. The irony of that storyline was that if Sami had never promised to go away with EJ none of what had transpired ever would have happened. Sami set this all in motion by setting EJ up on the pier that night with John Black and because of her actions she had to deal with those consequences she set into motion via EJ. "The rape" is more or less the same. Sami making poor choices and then having to do things she doesn't want to do because of the position she placed herself into. That doesn't make it coercion, that means Sami had to give something to get something she wanted. Numerous people have to make hard choices and decisions every day. But Sami had a choice to make and she made one. She didn't have to make it.

Again, Sami could have left at any point in time. It makes no sense for her to ask EJ for help if she was terrified that he was going to kill her and Lucas. She should have gotten help from someone else at that point or left for the authorities to track back. She didn't. She stayed in the car. She proceeded to ask this man for favors, while she stayed in the car. She chose EJ as he was the best shot at Lucas surviving at that point in the story, but she made a conscious decision and choice with EJ to stay in that car. A stupid choice for a woman who was supposedly so afraid of this man.

Arguable. As it's not written that way.

No, it was said time after time that they had an agreement (January - April). It wasn't until summer and fall of 2008 that the show started the "it was rape" mantra. They didn't write it as rape in the beginning, nor did they continue it for months initially after the event. No rape victim seeks out her rapist over and over and storms into her rapist house and speaks with him at length for a half an hour in his bath rob. No rape victim constantly seeks out the company of her rapist while her fiance is down the hall. The scenes that went on for months after the event did not indicate rape what so ever. If anything it seemed as if it was an affair and as if Sami was afraid Lucas would find out about Sami having sex with EJ. Sami was not acting like a rape victim those months after December. Which is why the heel turn that year was so particularly noticeable.

• Members

Skin, where does it end?

You get the promotion if you have sex with me - ok, but just so you know, it's rape. Let's do it.

I'll help you get your cat from the tree if you have sex with me - ok, but just so you know, it's rape. Let's do it.

Sami was "raped" by EJ because he pulled a gun on her or Sami was "raped" by EJ because she needed his help saving Lucas? It CANNOT be both!

Whatever!

The only rapist in that vehicle was Sami. And this is coming from someone who loathes both characters and cannot watch Days because of them!

• Members

Exactly. If Sami was afraid for her life (or others) she never would have considered the bargain in the first place. Hell she never would have asked for EJ to help her. Which is where the coercion/threat part of the argument dies as EJ wasn't a threat to her and Lucas if Sami wanted to take EJ to Lucas in his weakened state for help. Logic points out that if EJ wanted to kill or hurt them he could have once EJ had gotten to the cabin easily with no witnesses in a remote place and with a car to get away in. Sami must have been aware of this possibility, but she didn't believe that EJ was a threat to herself or Lucas, which means one can't reasonably argue that she was afraid for her or Lucas' own life when she slept with him.

Lucas had a series of unfortunate events and Sami had to figure a way out of it. She had multiple options and she had multiple choices. She never had to sleep with EJ, but it's the choice that she made as it was the best option from her point of view.

• Members

Ive avoided this convo as I always know where it tends to lead but I will say Im more inclined to agree with Skin and Chit. Sami made a choice to sleep with EJ. She was not forced into it. Granted i wasnt watching the show back then but from the clips Ive seen of it, its clear she could have told him to F off and left, but she decided to sleep with him bc he promised to give her something in return. It was dirty and far from ideal but it was something that she agreed to do. I didnt see him threaten to kill her with that gun if he didnt

My question is since I dont know the entire context of what was going on in the story, but why was EJ the ONLY person that could save Lucas? Why coudnt Sami go to anyone else? She was riding in a car with EJ for quite some time. Why didnt she instead call a cop (half her family was on the force) and tell them where Lucas was to help him? It just seemed as if so much time was wasted on EJ that if Lucas was in such urgent danger, other means could have been taken. Again I ask bc I dont get why she felt EJ (whom she claims to have hated), was her only option.

• Members

Eve is way before my time, but if this is the case, I say bring her on! LOL!

I finally worked up the courage to watch yesterday's ep. I didn't want to because of Dicole. laugh.png Please tell me that was the last we'll be seeing of any kissing between those two! I cannot take it. vomit.gif SC is just so unsexy in every single scene.

I cannot bring myself to care about Jordan and Rafe together. At least the cookie flashback seems to have disappeared.

Sami's face killed me at the end when Kate told her Gabi was moving to NY with Nick. I think that was the highlight of the episode for me.

q2AEi07.png

• Members

Really late on posting my thoughts from last week, but... here goes!

1) It was really refreshing to see Shane and Kimberly. I feel they were used well and got to interact with a lot of the characters on canvas. I love seeing Days respect their vets like this and I wish we could see them bring back vets like this from time to time even more.. but they do good with this overall. Props to Charles and Patsy!

2) Harold and Johnny's light saber battle.. amazing :)

3) I love seeing more T :) As I've said before I wish he were on contract.. but at the least he needs to be used as a strong supporting character. I like how recently he's been connected with Gabi, Abby, Jordan, even Kate.

4) Love the show's respect of history as Will said Ari would not be shared custody and his line "I was shared custody!".. Not only is that staying true to the show/character's history.. but it's something I feel Will would definitely say and feel :)

5) Liked the Abe/Nicole interaction

6) I also like that Chad hasn't just fallen off the face of the earth.. EJ tells Abby that Chad has decided to stay in Boston, etc...He is being addressed in a real world way

7) Marlena slapping Victor :) yes please

8) Seeing Eric FINALLY outside of his priest outfit.. even for just one episode :) yes please

9) Daniel/Nicole's kiss seemed so forced, both in writing and in acting.. it was out of nowhere and only for shock value. It wasn't storyline dictated and served no purpose.. Poor writing. Writers if you don't know what to do with Daniel - instead of having him have sex with another Salem female... write him out please!

10) Love seeing Kate and Sami scheming.. that is classic DOOL. Ali and Lauren always work so well together! It's amazing soap!

11) Best line of the week belongs to Nicole when referencing her reporting work "but my stuff won't air for two weeks." .... HOWEVER, it would have been SOOOOO much better (and more hilarious) if the writers had written in "but my stuff won't air for four months" as a throwback to the fans. That line would have been amazing! :)

Happy Thanksgiving all. Hope you all have a great and blessed Thanksgiving!

Archived