OLTL Shelved

• Members

Hindsight's 20/20. They tried to stick as closely as possible to the original soap opera model. That turned out to be a bad idea. I'm still very interested in the assertion now that four days a week for both shows was forcing people to choose between the two. Did the change correct that issue? I could how the staggered schedule of AMC on Mon/Wed and OLTL on Tues/Thur might help with that problem but releasing all eps on Monday? How did that help?

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh started a new job today with super blocked Internet and I come home to this. I doubt I have any super original thoughts so I'll just mostly cosign everything Vee said on the prior page as I haven't paged back through the thread yet. In December, I refused to be remotely hopeful about this reboot until I saw it with my eyes. Well I did see it and it wasn't perfect but I enjoyed the hell out of it and am super grateful got what we got.

As much as PP's press release have been annoying and wordy, they should release one now. It was low to leak it and have no comment. (I'm pretty sure that's the case- I have probably 4000 tweets to get through until I work my way back to when this broke).

As for AMC, I hope being the sole focus strengthens them, I really do. I've always thought PP needed to roll the shows out separately and rotate them even though I loved those first few weeks of 4 eps of both. I have logged the exact same tenure with both shows with the exception of my very first soap viewing day which was just OLTL. I've loved and love AMC with varying degrees of intensity over the years and I'm happy it looks like it will continue. Rationally, I can admit it had the better season and is the more logical choice to focus on for a myriad of reasons. But out of the ABC lineup, OLTL was always my show and the "shelving" does burn more for me than if it was the other way around. That said, I'm happy for everyone whose #1 soap love is AMC & I plan to support the hell out of AMC S2.

• Members

Pepperman obviously felt that the loss of the characters crippled them--and the way the show played out, it seems more than likely they had storylines there (ie more with Todd and Blair--and I guess Starr and particularly John) that they just had to drop. This very well could be part of the reason that actual plot wise the show often felt very lacking (Hell, to jump into hyperbole maybe it caused SBH to jump ship out of frustration of what was written.) I don't really care for any of those characters to be seen on my screen again any time soon, but that's neither here nor there.

I agree withyour view of FV over RC--which is why one is on twitter and not the other. As yous ay that doesn't mean Frank is a nice guy necessarily--I'm sure he's more than happy to let RC take the falls, but...

• Members

That's shitty, Jared found out from the news "release"

1. People tweeting me re: Season 2. I honestly don't know anything more than you. I'm waiting to hear definitive news just like everyone else.

2. @JaredKaplan Were you informed of the 'shelving' or did you find out from the news release? Hope cast/crew/production were told first

1:12 PM - 3 Sep 13 · Details
  3. @BrookeAChandler From the news release this morning.

• Members

Its funny- I always felt like she pushed that angle because it was company line and helpful to the lawsuit to hold fast to that position-- because at the same time seemed happy as hell with her A team, Clint, David. Jwoww etc.. Maybe I just couldn't fathom the lack of Starr & John being such an impediment because of my personal tastes. But perhaps, it really did hinder them at the outset.

I just realize I now have to bug Itunes to prorate me on the Multi-pass. Ugh that should be fun.

• Members

The PP stuff aside, I'd love to know what Hulu thinks of the shows' performance. Hulu has launched a lot of original programming over the last year or two: Battleground, East Los High (dramas), The Awesomes and Quick Draw (comedies) and A Day in the Life, Larry King Now, The Morning After and Spoilers with Kevin Smith (documentary/talk/news).

From what I've seen in the Hulu rankings, The Awesomes, Quick Draw, East Los High and The Morning After have consistently done well and AMC ranked alongside them with OLTL following closely behind. I'd love to see real hard viewership data.

Where's Angela? I need her to work her number crunching magic. laugh.png

• Members

No hindrance as PP had control of the characters. Too bad their time was wasted bargaining with GH over the "actors".

They had Todd the entire time. John and Starr are easy recasts, especially if you are going for talent! If 2 or 3 characters [or lack thereof] hindered a project this badly, you had a very poor product in which to begin.

Archived