OLTL Shelved

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rob retweeted me and I'm in tears after being pretty zen about this news. The last time I fangirled for a soap actor was teenage Lucky Spencer in 7th grade. Oh well it was fun to have a soap crush as a semi-grown up for a little while.

I wouldn't be surprised if JP was gag ordered by PP. I'm sure they weren't thrilled with Jared Kaplan telling everyone he read it on Twitter. As I said before, they need to make some kind of smoke puffing statement for these people to stand behind if they don't want them to talk. But they can't stop Tonja Walker who is super chatty about this.

I wonder how Linda would spin this since she was always arguing OLTL was in better shape for the long haul b/c they had Slezak and whatever other theories she had. Its sad that i wonder these things.

• Members

I do think it's obvious that since they decided not to recast Starr or John is hurt the show. I'm sure Starr and John were both heavily in scripts, but their mistake is not recasting. They lucked out with Todd and they should've recast the other two so they didn't have to change the story. It's obvious the writers struggled to come up with stuff last minute so you have a lot of padding, which seemed like nothing was happening. Still, I think where OLTL ended the show was GREAT. It wasn't a big disaster like people made it out to be. If these were 40 episodes out of 200 for a regular daytime soap, I would be happy with the progress made. Especially since they have a new writing team in place. There is no excuse.

• Members

Well, I have very mixed emotions hearing this news today.

I tried watching AMC on Hulu the first weeks but it had been too many years since I quit watching its ABC version and nothing really appealed to me. I'm happy for their fans they still have some hope for a second season. But that interview reads like deja vu to JK saying they were going to shelve AMC after they failed to secure Lucci and instead concentrate solely on OLTL. Hope my gut is wrong there.

As for OLTL, I should be sadder it's being shelved. But the honest truth is after the first month, I grew bored with the show. I wasn't staying up til early hours to catch it. I wasn't inspired to post much here about stories. I kept watching mainly out of loyalty and hoping it would improve but sadly that never happened for me. PP started off with a bang with every expectation they'd resolve their big cliffhanger mystery. But they wasted TSJ's time, and the tattoo mystery became a dragged out, dreary mess. I know other friends who watched for 25-30 years quit watching because they grew frustrated at the lousy pacing.

I was not a fan of sleazy Shelter though the talented KM, RH and CB rose above lousy material. The writers wasted the potential of the Matt, Destiny, Dani, Jeffrey quad by introducing Hannah wannabe and creepy Arturo. Such short-sighted stupidity and wasted talent often dooms a prime timeshow.

I also don't now what ES was going for except cold beyotch, and RS was a shadow of herself. Flo and Melissa can usually be counted for energetic performances but they were sadly underused. In hindsight, JVD was trying to overcompensate for ES' lack of energy and some poor scripting. And RH who PP had fought so hard to get and promoted so heavily came across sleep-deprived and lackluster his last month. That was one massively failed story and promoted star return, IMO.

Mostly I feel disappointed by the dull product PP produced and frustrated at the wasted talents.

• Members

Wow. It's sad to say.. but the decline of the PP soaps continue. This makes me really sad and my heart goes out to you OLTL fans. I am going to sound like a real Debbie downer here.. but I honestly believe soaps (as we know and love them.. aka: daily serialized drama) is coming to an end. I've believed this for a long time. yes... "soap opera" shows will always be around because shows with a "soapy" element will always be appealing (ex: Greys Anatomy, Revenge, Scandal, etc) but our DAILY daytime drama/soap operas we know them truly is a dying genre. Once the PP soaps went to 2xweek I automatically put them in a different category.. twice a week shows that have "seasons" with on/off seasons.. to me, that's not a soap opera.. its a telenovela. not the same thing. I'm not opposed to our shows surviving that way, if that's the "way of the future" for them to make it.. just saying its not the same as the remaining broadcast soaps producing five shows/week. I honestly think its best and most respectful for the soaps to die(if they are dying) a dignified death on their respective networks.. I mean lets look at history here.. AW, GL, ATWT.. I know people have differing opinions on their finales... but regardless, they were allowed to die dignified (somewhat) deaths on their network with a proper finale. Look at the other option.... Passions goes to DirecTV and gets episode orders reduced and putters out nearly a year later. Granted, they did have a proper finale as well.. but wouldn't it have been better for them to have had it on NBC the year earlier? Now we have OLTL who has one "season" on PP and is again ending without a real finale I believe.. what if it could have just had a proper finale on ABC? And then AMC.. maybe it's coming back/maybe not? will it be successful long term? Probably not.. Again, with all those cast returns at the end... it could have had an amazing proper series finale on ABC. I of course don't want our soaps to die.. but if they are dying.. I want them to die respectfully and with dignity. I respect them for trying to find any and all other options and venues to survive (via DirecTv, Cable, Internet, etc) but I think seeing them putter out like this is painful and in a way degrades their memory. It would be much more dignified for them to just have a proper finale on their network with an amazing beautiful sendoff. End of rant smile.png

• Members

I agree that it would have been better to have a proper finale. I think a lot of my frustration is the fact that again things have been left open ended and most of the characters from OLTL are worse off than they were when it ended on ABC.

• Members

From her fanclub

It was announced today that Prospect Park has halted production of One Life to Live and will remain on hold until a lawsuit with ABC is resolved.

I contacted Erika and she asked that we share the following from her:

"When these issues are worked out between Prospect Park and ABC/Disney, we will resume, but unfortunately there is no timetable. I sincerely thank all of you for watching and supporting us and keep your fingers crossed for a speedy resolution."

While this was news we wish we didn't have to share, please know the club will keep you informed when further news is available.

Sincerely,

ESFC

• Members

Very interesting news here...I have been in and out of OLTL and SON for much of this year, but have been following developments from afar. Can't say I find this news totally unexpected, although it is still disheartening. I just wish I still cared as much this time around.

Here is Erika's statement from her website btw...

FROM ERIKA: "When these issues are worked out between Prospect Park and ABC/Disney, we will resume, but unfortunately there is no timetable. I sincerely thank all of you for watching and supporting us and keep your fingers crossed for a speedy resolution."

Archived