OLTL Shelved

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, this ain't my week on many levels. My Internet at home is fucked for the day thanks to Time Warner New York (remember - it's never an area outage until after they schedule an appointment), I desperately need a handyman, and now this mess.

Honestly, given all the other [!@#$%^&*] I got to deal with this week, this I can keep in perspective. Way back in February I said that even if these shows just came back for one round and out, it'd still be more than I could ever have hoped for at this juncture. I do think soap opera will stick around and continue to resurrect, rebuild, return - I've always believed that, and it appears I finally converted marceline - and that the overall AMC and OLTL brands remain strong.

I'm not particularly surprised AMC is still running; it has always had the stronger brand identity with Erica, etc. and OLTL only truly overtook it in the last several years on ABC, partly due to some good storytelling at OLTL but mostly due to the utter incompetence from the Frons-Carruthers/McTavish/Pratt/B&E/Kreizman complex that dismantled Pine Valley. AMC has had a very, very, very good season, it had somewhat better ratings on Hulu and much better ratings on OWN, and it deserves to continue, and I will absolutely continue to watch and support it.

Like Eric, I am not entirely convinced OLTL is done. I think it had a rocky and uneven Season 1 but not a bad one, and I saw some things in the storytelling and character depth that I hadn't seen in many years. I'm very, very grateful for what I got. And I think PP may try to regroup on finances and then put it back in action. Or they may not. I certainly hope they do. I don't think the actors are out of the game at all, at least not the vets; you can get them back for a song if PP gets the money together - I'd be more concerned about securing Missal, Gorrie and Bleu again.

All I know is we've been counted out three times in two years, so I don't think OLTL knows how to die anymore than soap opera in general does. Maybe we'll be back in a couple weeks or months; maybe we won't be back at all. Nothing seems to be announced with finality, and they are at least claiming to still be writing scripts (though it was incredibly tacky to drop this notice in an LA Times feature piece and not address the cast, crew and audience directly).

Whatever, I've got a shower drain to fix. Stay tuned, I guess.

• Members

In that case, they should have done less episodes from the jump, the four day a week to start with was too much. A limited initial run just to test out scheduling should have been what they started with, I'm sure they could have done that and remained with in the terms of the contract.

• Members

My optimistic theory is that OLTL will resume down the road, but with the limited funds left.. perhaps PP can only focus on one show at a time. So I could see AMC filming their season episodes then PP does a mass drop of the episodes (i.e. if they film 30 episodes, dropping all 30 of them).. then a little later, start filming OLTL.

My pessimistic theory is a repeat late 2011, where PP suspended AMC to focus on launching OLTL then a few weeks later having to suspend OLTL as well. I hope it isn't a repeat, but a part of me has a feeling that could be what very well could happen. If a start date for filming is announced and followed through on, then I will feel better.

• Members

It's very possible they're doing a Reverse 2011. But I have a hard time believing even PP is that inept twice.

I think the biggest problem for these shows is not anything in them so much as it is the money. They need more financial backing. They need an angel and I dunno if they'll get it.

• Members

I think part of it is a question of them simply not being that bright/organized. ABCD isn't and PP definitely isn't. In corporate structure the right hand doesn't always talk to the left, especially in rough and ready start-ups like this one (or in networks no longer interested in promoting soap operas - SON, SOC, etc. can all tell numerous tales of how they've had to struggle with ABCD's PR people over the years).

The other part, again, is that they might be telling the truth about OLTL coming back. But I'm just trying to keep it fatalistic and light and enjoy what I had.

• Members

A part of me is hoping PP simply doesn't feel it can adequately focus on both shows at one time and they want to give the lawsuit time to work itself out. The lawsuit likely will have some effect on the inclusion of John, Todd, Starr, Cole and Hope in some way or another and maybe they want it sorted out before rushing into more stories again, i.e. the Natalie and Cutter story. They are also having to deal with working around the Jack character, who was in the middle of a story, so maybe they just need time to reevaluate the cast and will be ready to go by the new year. Or maybe not. I hope they can get their ish together.

• Members

Is there a link to some past article or something outlying the rules and requirements of PP's deal with ABC? Were they *required* to produce x amount of episodes or was that up to PP's discretion?

It's been years since I've seen the show, but this whole thing has me thinking of Nickelodeon's Fifteen (Hillside in Canada). It was a 30 min. teen-oriented serial that ran just once a week (Sunday afternoons), 13 episode seasons (the final season was double, 26). I, Claudius it was not, but the show was very entertaining (not always for the "right" reasons, my classmates liked to make fun of the Canadian vowels) and its schedule was completely satisfying. Simply put, 13 half-hour episodes got the job done. I know many viewers want more and I'm sure the actors and crew members would like to work more ($$), but something sustainable is better than nothing.

• Members

The bottom line is the original plan for crossovers with GH was a good idea for the new show. I know that's anathema to some people and that battle lines were drawn long ago, but the fact is these start-up shows could've used those eyes and so could GH. It would've drawn the crossover audience for both shows, and I think if both OLTL and GH had been able to exercise appropriate control of their characters and storylines it could've been very harmonious and very, very good for both of them.

It's entirely possible they want to revisit that, because the fact is this suit was never going to go to court. One way or another it will settle. The question is when and how and what might result from it. Certainly I think a crossover relaunch could do well for the show. I think Frank Valentini is always willing to make a deal, whether or not Ron is being petty. For Valentini, in the end everything is business and I suspect little is personal, including and especially if he's lying to an actor's face. And that may not always be nice, but it gets the job done.

• Members

IF the show comes back I'd do a time jump by a year or two to help explain absence es if they can't get certain actors back and won't recast. Jeffrey/Carl could have left town after being exposed. Jack could be off to college. Nat could move to London. Dani could be traveling around Europe. Destiny could have moved in with her folks etc.

Archived