OLTL Shelved

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First of all lets give PP some props they aired both shows with one seaosn. I never thought that would happen. Its clear though OLTL just didn't work or gell online then it did on ABC. Something was missing in the show. AMC was the better show online and I think this would be a good thing for AMC focus more on the budget of the show, it has the bigger name and maybe Lucci can come back. I honestly thought they would be cancelling both but its seem PP wants to focus on one show and by doing that one had to go. AMC has more potential and has the better producers. I will always love OLTL but its clearly something was missing in their online version.

• Members

I disagree. Harsh as it is to say, I think what's obvious is that one show performed better than the other so they canceled the one that failed.

People are conflating the failure of OLTL with failure of the entire venture. I see it as AMC succeeding and earning continued support.

• Members

This may be an unpopular opinion but I wondered why OLTL spent so much time trying to bring back only the characters who were there at the bitter end of the ABC run? Why not dig deeper into the show's history and unearth some other characters from the past? Too much time spent of trying to secure RH, KA et. al.

I've said this before but if I had the chance to revitalize ATWT I would dig deeper into the show's history and try to bring some of the characters who were compelling but either had unresolved and incomplete story lines or characters who were interesting but then ended up being virtually ignored. ATWT had many such characters. It might have been easier to launch the show, get the storytelling on a good footing, cultivate an audience and then you can cycle in other popular characters occasionally on certain occasions.

Why didn't OLTL try this?

I do applaud PP for their efforts with these shows and AMC is returning so that is a good thing. I hope AMC is very successful and that it will eventually encourage further efforts with OLTL, which even in its present state still has potential.

• Members

I think OLTL also should have done a time jump and the OLTL cliffhanger to be a dream. The whole Victor coming back could have been a nightmare for one of the characters. They could have opened the show up with the return of the Woleks or some other gone but not forgotten families.

• Members

I don't expect to see OLTL again. AMC was just the better show. AMC had better stories and better balance of characters evidenced by their episode counts. OLTL had way too much of the younger crew especially Matthew. The stories lagged, what drogues there was. The tattoo mystery was a complete failure. OLTL would have been better off moving on from Todd/Victor all together and brought in some new male leads.

Archived