GH: Alternative

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't feel that OLTL fans deserve anything. The show is cancelled. You accept it and you move on. Why should General Hospital be a dumping ground for characters from former ABC soaps? When are Delia and Maeve from Ryan's Hope gonna show up? Where's Gwen from Loving? Where's Brooke from AMC? Where's Raven from Edge of Night? Hell, bring Angelique from Dark Shadows to GH.

ABC treated OLTL like a bastard stepchild for almost its entire run and now it is supposed to be the savior of GH? It is ridiculous. I just think it shows a lack of creativity on the part of Ron Carlivarti. If he wanted Howarth and Easton and Alderson, why not create new characters for them without all of the baggage of OLTL? Or better yet, work with the canvas and characters that he inherited for a good six months before bringing on OLTL characters or any new characters at all. He has 50 years of GH history to work with, there is no excuse for polluting that with OLTL characters.

With all that being said, I actually like McBain and Sam, but McBain could have easily been a brand new character and the chemistry, IMO, would have been just the same.

• Members

"I don't want to give anyone anything, what about me!" It isn't that OLTL fans deserve anything, if there was a way to bring in Tad and Erica I would say bring them in too. Losing your show sucks. I went through withdrawals when LOST went off the air, I can't imagine how disappointing it was for the people who watched ATWT and GL 40 years. I have no attachment to Tea and I don't think I watched her once between the day she returned and the day Roger Howarth (and I) returned to OLTL. Tea and Starr mean nothing to me, but they mean something to somebody so I am glad their followers are not completely out in the wilderness. I know if the positions were reversed and it was my show off the air and suddenly they told me Luke Spencer and Robert Scorpio are moving to DOOL, I would be ecstatic and thankful for the chance to watch them some more.

Daytime is shrinking and sinking, and I don't believe in pushing people off the lifeboats to make room for me. So hey OLTL people, we have Todd, welcome and come in from the cold. That said, I just wish it wasn't so much Todd and Tea and Starr and McBain. They went too far with just how much time they devoted to OLTL. I would have made it 10% of the show, no more. Now it seems more like 50% time-wise.

• Members

If the stories were are wretched as they have been for Starr and John, people would likely complain. Otherwise, not necessarily. I remember how people seemed to like some new characters at first, like Johnny, Claudia, Dante, Olivia, Kate.

• Members

People would still be complaing that these OLTL faces were taken time away from the GH faces. You dont think we'd be hearing the same complaints about where is Patrick, Elizabeth, Shawn, TJ, etc....? I dont think new vs exisitng roles would have mattered. Its not being from OLTL is what makes the stories bad. RC's non-OLTL character stories arent faring much better on this show either and are getting their own share of complaints

• Members

I remember the endless complaints about Olivia and Claudia in particular Claudia all over the online community because of their airtime. The rest I think were a mixed bag until people got used to them. The thing is this board tends to be more receptive of new characters.

But I do think someone like Howarth would have been accepted in a new role more readily. I think as an actor he does bring something fresh to the canvas. I don't think Alderson would have been liked regardless or FL. Easton I cant predict because I am lost on his appeal entirely.

• Members

This is worse than when DAYS became the dumping ground for Passions most overexposed 3 and yes I complained then too and so did various others all over the net. Two came on as a new family that took up the show or awhile and one came on as a recast of a former character.

• Members

I think we'd still hear it, but it might not be as jarring, because there is not so much ridiculous expository dialogue and backstory with new characters (ideally), or the "clap louder" mentality which basically tries to shame people into believing that the characters who helped kill one soap are going to save another.

• Members

I always thought the main complaint was that GH was too mob-focused. So I guess I'm missing something here. Even though I believe that GH is now stuck with the mob and that element isn't going anywhere, what is the problem with bringing on new characters (not OLTL related) who will somewhat dilute the mob stories? Or is the mob not really the problem here. Who wasn't Bob Guza writing for that put him in the crosshairs of some GH fans?

Archived