GH: Alternative

• Members

I think the animosity level would be about the same. Newbies are always hated when they first make it to air on soaps. almost universally until they prove their worth. Fans are always hostile to characters who eat shows because they believe other characters are more deserving of the airtime. GH no longer has a soul though I don't even see the point in watching it because they have killed off every legacy character that pre-dates or contrasts Sonny, Jason and Carly in any meaningful way.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know she's said in the past that she'd like to go to college and become a teacher. Maybe she still wants to someday, but after spending more than half her life in soaps, and with the economy the way it is, I can see why she took this opportunity on GH when she did. She was planning on just going out to LA to try out her luck when OLTL was officially cancelled though, before the GH stuff occurred.

• Members

I was wondering about that. I read that her family was moving to the West Coast to see if she and her brother could pick up their acting career there. When she ended up on GH, I thought maybe that had been in the works all along. Was there a gap where the OL actors didn't know they would be going to GH?

• Members

The gap would have been from late November to mid January. At least, that was the gap for the audience. The show was officially cancelled the day before Thanksgiving, the crossover news was announced days before OLTL left the air (January 13th). So even though I think the Alderson family planned to move from Philly to LA all along, I suppose KA was cast on GH sometime in December. I'm totally guessing, though.

• Members

See, this is the problem. There isn't plenty of story for the "other GHers". Part of me wants to blame that on the OL refugees, but I don't know that RC would know how to write for them anyway.

GH had more than its share of airhogs before OL ever got cancelled.

• Members

If I remember correctly, the announcement that PP would not be continuing OL occurred during that day's episode--I learned it when I got online right after it aired. The final episode had already been taped the Friday before. Most of the cast and crew learned the news only after it hit the media. Yeah, needless to say, it was not a fun day for us "Lifers" (I can only imagine how the cast and crew felt about it sad.png ).

• Members

That PP thing was wrong all the way around. I hope someday we'll learn the truth about the shenanigans that went on there. Something tells me ABC is a lot more involved than they've admitted.

It sure seems like they could have chosen for the end of the show not to take place around the holidays. I've heard Disney Corp are scrooges; now we know.

• Members

I'll be the first to admit that I was probably was a little too excited for PP--looking back, I can see how flawed/ambitious the whole thing was. Too much youthful optimism/naivete/denial about my show ending on my part? I suppose so laugh.png .

I had completely accepted the show's cancellation before PP, and since it's been off in January, I have again. It was a sad situation for me and other OL fans, but life goes on smile.png .

And not to rub salt in the wound, but KA was originally NOT going to do the show online--she was in fact going to LA with the rest of her family, as I assume OL would have continued shooting in New York. Granted, I actually do like her (and I don't think she's ugly--not the prettiest girl ever, but not ugly--but I'm not usually comfortable talking about the looks of other young girls all that much, probably because I'm one myself and I'm very sensitive about body issues regarding women, but I digress), but if this whole GH thing hadn't have happened, she wouldn't have been there to begin with.

So...again, even though I like her...I guess I should say I'm sorry wink.png .

• Members

I think a lot of us were hopeful the PP venture would work. I've been enjoying online soaps and telenovelas for some time, so I haven't been a traditional soap fan for some time. I was all signed up and sitting there waiting for PP to happen. Ugh.

KA is not the only child star who has been raked over the coals for not growing up to be pretty. Actually, JJ probably got more of that than anyone. He's even odder than KA because he was still fairly cute when he left GH. Amber Tamblyn caught a lot of hell as a grownup on GH because she grew a big butt. KA is probably fortunate she didn't come onto GH when that regime was still around because it was brutal.

• Members

Well honestly I dont think any of the oLTL actors would come over even as if new Characters if FV & RC werent helming GH. Look some may not like them but I think it says something for their character that FV & RC were ableto get a dozen plus contract actors from OLTL to continue with the Prospect Park Version.

Archived