GH: Alternative

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rumor has it they want to bring back Jeff Webber, steve & Liz's dad. They want Richard Dean Anderson back. Their rumor plan is to show how Jeff picked work over kids. I could see that. Jeff wasnt to thrilled when he learned Steve was his kid back in 1981

Well id like Dillon but they shoulda just gave it back to Scott Clifton when he inquired after he left OLTL. Im sure there are capable actors for Dillon but not JPL

• Members

But that's presuming those fans are willing to follow them to another show where they will be surrounded by "faces" they are not as familiar with. And the only way to keep those fans from tuning out due to lack of familiarity is to feature the transplanted characters as much as possible.

Then, shame on PGP for making such an outrageous compromise. I don't care if it meant TE not re-signing. Asking them for that kind of clause is just absurd as all get-out.

• Members

But let's be honest, there is no telling if those gains were because RC/FV's quality was so stellar (and from what I saw before turning this rancid invasion s-h-i-t off, it wasn't THAT by a mile) or, more likely, people were tuning in BECAUSE the show was toast - more or less because of PP - and wanted to see how things shook out.

And if I recall, the ratings were cratering again before sign off, so I just don't buy that FV/RC are some huge soap saviors. And the proof is in the pudding with GH. For any gains, they are lost - and then some - usually the following week, and the small increases can't hide that the show is still crap which panders now not only to GH airhogs of Sonny, Jason, and Sam, but now OLTL pets for flavor.

Everyone else? Yeah, sorry, s-h-i-t out of luck, claims of there being story for other GH'ers aside. If there are, where the hell are they?

I bet Jason Thompson now wishes- for example - he had followed TV wife Kimberly McCullough and TV brother Jason Cook out the door considering he now does jack s-h-i-t. And even Liz - who I DESPISE - is now reduced to licking Jason's ass and in a one scene a month "romance" with pointless Ewen. Come to think of it, the title One Hospital To Kill is PERFECT, because with Robin gone (though that was not under RC/FV, I'll give them that), they managed to sideline JT/Patrick after maybe ONE DAY of real emotional grieving scenes then ALL OFFSCREEN as we listened to Starr - a character I don't GAF about wailing about two others she lost I did not know or GAF about; they also put Steven in jail (hate the character but he is a doctor!), killed Maggie (useless but again, a doctor), and now sent Matt to jail for killing a psycho who was terrorizing his family while the likes of rapist and murdering mob pets live to kill and rape another day. And Liz the nurse? Meh. Sad state of affairs for General HOSPITAL. At LEAST Guza fronted and had a hospital side.

So, if there are stories for the non pets, if this is it, that is even sadder under this regime than Bob Guza, and Guza sucked. But man, at least he didn't use pets from a cancelled soap, and bad writing or not, non pets did get airtime.

And now I must shower for typing that. But really, there is no need for Starr, Todd, McBain, or ANY OLTL actor and the B/C players are all but shoved aside because what time does not go to the usual airhogs has now been given to characters that have no history with this soap and are RC's pets.

And it occurred to me this will NEVER change, so I quit. And for all the OLTL viewers who may tune in, just as many are leaving. At least two GH related YT channels have stopped clipping, so it tells me that OLTL gaining viewers is six of one, half a dozen of the other in the end.

Rant done.

• Members

The reason why the OLTL characters were brought over to GH is fairly easy to understand they wanted the OLTL viewers to watch the show, but it hasn't worked and now the experiment needs to end. The resentment seems to stem not from the actors if these actors came over as GH characters I don't think their would be so much "invasion" talk, but these characters are not needed nor benefitting GH. OLTL actors could have played past GH characters or new characters connected to the canvas.

OLTL should not live on through GH and that is what FV/RC are doing, it is not just the characters that they have brought over but the actual writing style and story direction. GH is becoming OLTL 2.0 and that is the problem, RC and co. writing is not strong enough and it is showing, he has no new ideas and is looking to what the online community of OLTL praised and just rewriting it for GH. His latest disaster this whole baby switch if he would have done his homework he would have realized that fans of GH would not appreciate this type of story with the characters involved, he would have known that Sam would have named her baby after her brother especially with Jason rejecting the baby. He doesn't know how to write for the GH hospital characters and he isn't even trying.

What is making me shake my head though is the praise coming for him and the show on this site are from former OLTL fans and for the stories containing those characters ( I now love John's character on this show).

If they needed to bring on an antagonist for Sonny/Jason Ric would have been ideal rather than a cop with some made up excuse to bring Sonny down which is not going to happen because like it or not Sonny is the show's star and there are a lot of people who love the mob.

If they needed to build the 20 something set then bring on the children/relatives of actual character's on the show. The Quartermaine's could be rebuilt and I would have loved for them to annouce a Keisha/A.J child or maybe Justice has a kid someplace. who cares if McBain could be Sam's brother, I would have prefer her father join the show you know that male influence she has been searching for her entire life and it could provide Alexis a love interest.

You don't want so much mob, build up the hospital bring back Maya, David(AMC) would have been a perfect addition, Tom Hardy Jr.

There is plenty of ways that the show can be built up, revitilized and using OLTL characters and their force connections is the way to do it.

• Members

JPL tanked each and every scene he was in, because he didn't seem to care unless he was the star. He was a lousy dramatic actor and his idea of comedy was eye-popping and twitching, which Spinelli already handles on GH.

As for the ratings gains, wasn't OLTL steadily declining in the ratings in its last months? "Cartini" always had brief ratings spikes which then fell back down. They do the same at GH. They are too inconsistent and one-note to be able to increase numbers long-term.

• Members

Aside from Tina (the second time) most of their returns were a huge bust, and often just ended up in bad comic relief or death, or both. I think GH fans are lucky if the past stays in the past, especially if PodAnna is any indication.

• Members

Carl's right. If you cherish your GH memories, then pray to God (or whoever) that RC doesn't retcon the [!@#$%^&*] out of them. Otherwise, the "Two Lukes" story will make the "Two Todds" story look like the "Two Romans" story. Or something like that.

• Members

I think it was because these particular characters had the most incomplete story when OLTL ended. It was their story that would have continued on PP, and once ABC officially cancelled them and PP fell through, the Manning family fanbase was left the most screwed over on the show. I think I can speak for myself and other Manning family (and specifically, T&B ) fans when I say that a LOT of us saw going to GH as a chance of quickly getting the story wrapped up, so that their story wouldn't be left completely high and dry.

Of course, given how things have played out on GH, most of us T&Bers feel that the ending we got on OL probably should have stayed the same.

And yeah, I agree about Starr. She GOT an ending on OL--a happy one, if not the one I imagined for her (I preferred she go to college and become some kind of animal biologist--and of course, I wanted her to be single--and to have never had Hope to begin with--but that's another rant altogether). And of course, everything for her has been undone on GH. I can't help it--I grew up watching her, and this is NOT what my girl Starr Manning should have grown up to be (I do disagree about her being hated on OL, though--every character has its detractors, but she still had plenty of fans--younger ones, in particular).

Okay, I'm done. As a Max & Gabrielle fan AND a Todd & Blair fan, I've just been through a LOT of crap wink.png .

• Members

@MissLan

Cartooni had almost a year to wrap up that chitfest. There is no excuse or reason for this invasion. There has not been one attempt to write for GH, and if it were true that the Invaders deserve a better ending, how soon before they are off this show? This is absolutely ludicrous and unfair that GH fans have to suffer thru this! OL got their ending and now its time for GH! I only wish someone else would step in and write it. No I don't watch right now, but I'm still a GH fan.

In positively sick over this!

ANDREA

• Members

Believe me, there's a LOT fans of that family complained about how they were written, particularly Blair, as Ron has always seemed to write for Tea better than her. There's so much that needed to be fixed so that they didn't need to come on GH. As a fan of many of those characters, it was nice to see them again on GH, but given how mucked up things got--certainly none of us expected to have them go there when the show was cancelled. It's nice as a fan of them from OL to see them, but I would have been fine if it hadn't happened, either, no matter how f-ed up their ending on OL was.

I do feel for GH fans. Lord knows I've seen a lot of classic GH on YouTube and understand how you guys feel.

Archived