Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

- As a whole, I am happy with all of the daytime soaps right now.

- I enjoy Y&R under MAB. I don't think it's as amazing as it once was, but I still watch daily. Sometimes I watch the whole show, sometimes I FF 90% of it. It depends on the day, but I still value it and love it.

- Same with Days. Though, I have loved this show more under the current regime than I have since about 2005.

- I think Ron C is an amazing soap writer and just what this genre needs. GH is by far the most consistently enjoyable soap right now.

• Members

Not unpopular with me at all, though I'll add that I find the Save Our Soaps petitions/protests to be an utter waste of time.

While I wouldn't go as far as to call him "amazing" (as I believe the days of 'amazing soap writers' have been done and over with for a while), I'm of the opinion that his take on GH has made it the most entertaining that it has been in years.

• Members

I'm starting to think that if the remaining soaps are going to be skewered, butchered, and made unrecognizable to fans who knew them during their halcyon years, it might be better just to cancel them and put the shows and the poor audience out of our misery.

• Members

Frankly, I find the OLTL characters to be a lot interesting than the pathetic GH characters that remain. Whatever decent GH characters existed had either 'died' or just plain left due to the how shitty an environment Port Charles became. The OLTL "invasion" (with the exception of Hater Yellgado) has made GH tolerable enough to tune in to, as I surely wouldn't be wasting my time on that show if it weren't for their presence (or other preferred OLTL characters of mine, since I must make the distinction that I didn't love every character on that dearly departed show).

• Members

OLTL UO:

1a. Not only did I not see the so-called "canonization" of Evangeline, I believe that DH and RC shafted the hell out of her because they refused to provide her with the lead female character status that they'd provided to the likes of plenty of other female characters - some of which were terribly undeserving - in spite of her undeniable charisma. As much as I did (and still do) miss Evangeline, I don't blame REG one bit for leaving that show in the dust after FV refused to acknowledge her worth to that show.

1b. If Evangeline were, in fact, "canonized" (at the expense of other characters), I can't say that I would've been mad at all, as it'd sure be a satisfying slice of karma for all of other Black female characters on the ABCD soaps that were thrown under the bus for non-Black characters over the years.

• Members

Bottom line! The final 4 are hardly a representation of the genre, so the wacko fans and the Strassers need to cut it out! Rotting garbage is all that's left.. Everyone can smell the stench, but some are still fighting it. I honestly don't understand why. I really don't! If the shows were half decent, it would be different. As it stands, they are not, so the networks need to euthanize these shows and be swift!

ANDREA

• Members

I agree GH (partly because of OLTL's refugees) needs to go first. My next biggest disappointment is Y&R, so I think it should go as soon as GH clears the door. I haven't watched more than a few episodes of DOOL or B&B in years so I don't care what happens to either of them.

I was sad for a long time, now I'm disgusted.

• Members

Days doesn't have any idea how to go about it. Their problem always has been(barring Tomlin) relying on the same super couples that are played out and ignore their younger characters. It's Cordays Achilles heel. That's the one advantage B&B has is a viable younger cast. Yes I'd even include Rick and Thomas and Caroline none of who have gotten a ton of focus in the past year. Days and their super couples along with the endless merry go round of Sami, EJ, Nicole is played out. And if this show can't get past this and reenergize their show with fresh blood then the show is dead anyway. You can't keep relying on nostalgia to carry you. I think the idea of bringing in new families, the Hernandez family along with Melanie and Daniel was good in principle but executed poorly. And as much as people complain about these so called newbies, the ratings crashed with the so called fan faves front and center including Sami and EJ and Nicole. They end up firing the peripheral characters/actors never really addressing the core issues. Tomlin with all the complaints is the only one who did.

• Members

And frankly and I don't mean to sound insulting but the ideas people have about bringing back Jack or Kristian would do nothing unless Days chose to use them for something other than played out Jack and Jennifer and john and Marlena stories.. I always thought the idea of bringing back Sarah Horton was a good idea for example because it would have brought in a fresh female with some viable ties to the canvas who hasn't had the same played out story over and over and there was a ton of story potential with Victor and Maggies relationship. I'm kind of interested in Eric Brady only because he's not a character Days has brought back 50 times to the same story. Of course throwing him at Nicole immediately is predictable but not in the same way the rest are

Archived