Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's because they don't write for them. And when they had viable younger set, Chelsea, Nick, Shawn, Belle, Stephanie are all characters with potential, what do they do fire them and bring back Steve, Kayla, Jack, Jennifer to do what. The same stuff they always do. And I'm not talking about teens. Hope, Liam, Rick, Steffy, Caroline are not teens. They are young adults.

• Members

I don't think I named anyone on my list as any current character. That's part of the issue is dumping potentially viable younger characters. Sami just didn't pop up as a 30 something soccer mom. I dont like most of the younger cast. But I do think most of that is writing not actual performances. Abby, will, sonny, heck even Chad could be better with better writing. The are just all vanilla, plain, and uncomplex. And all Will does is smirk all day or yell.

• Members

I wonder if it's really a "core" we are speaking of or just endless fluff to mask the fact that neither soap has any real direction or substance to them. I honestly wonder if Days even has an identity anymore. You could say that AMC was the community, heart and family drama soap, OLTL was the gritty crime police drama soap, GH is the mob-cum-hospital soap, etc. What exactly is Days? It used to be known as the paranormal dramatic soap under JER with outlandish stories that embraced all kinds of zaniness but it hasn't had that in so long that I don't even know what it is. It's been almost a decade since they had a real game changer storyline like the Salem Stalker/Melaswen. I honestly don't even know what Days is or supposed to be at this point. B&B at the same time is just so typical that it doesn't even hold any interest to me.

Eric is Brady Black just under a different name. It was like that with Ackles in the role and it will be like that again IMO. I would say Eric spells disaster simply because Brady himself has had nothing to do since Eric Matsolf was hired to play him.

Some of this isn't necessarily Days fault. Sometimes the actors just leave. I do agree that Days should try to get back some younger characters who have merit to them such as Belle, Shawn, Chelsea, Max and Nick. But I would also agree with the many who have said the recent crop of younger characters on Days leaves a lot to be desired. Sonny, Melanie, Chad and his girlfriend for instance are all worthless and don't deserve to have airtime.

• Members

They chose to fire Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer. Shawn and Belle should be here along with the other Last Blast Crew as the new generation leading the A-stories, but instead we still have Sami/Austin/Carrie/Lucas still going round and round with Rafe thrown in. Aren't all these characters in their late 30's it is so played out. Carrie in current form is not needed, I wouldn't mind Sami/Lucas still doing stuff but in B-stories bc I can't take too much of Alison Sweeney. This show needs to do some dangerous moves.

All the firings may seem shocking but at the end of the day Days is the same sh-t. EJ, EJ, EJ, Stefano, Stefano, Stefano. I'm so sick of it. EJ needs to leave the canvas and they need to take risks. The show is so boring bc nothing ever changes, they put characters in near death situations but nobody dies. EJ, Brady, Rafe and Daniel are all boring leading men and are albatrosses that need to be cut loose. Why are Marlena, John, Bo and Hope's old asses still battling Stefano? The show is the easiest one to fix, but Corday or whoever just won't let someone come in and truly shake things up. Id rather have a third round of JER bc I doubt much will change with Tomlin.

And don't get me started on Drake Hogestyn. John Black should have stayed dead in 2007.

• Members

EJ is the only strong male lead Days has. I don't think they should shoot themselves in the foot by firing him until they have at least three back up male leads who can do even a fraction of the work he does in terms of catering to story. It doesn't surprise me that as soon as James Scott came abroad that soap he pretty much cleaned up shop and became the anchor of it in break neck speed time. No one else has the same level of gravitas as he does and that's why the show has done everything it can to ring him dry in terms of story. He is the last truly engaging character Days ever created. Arguably an iconic one. He manages to be the only actor of the entire flock who consistently makes his work look effortless while being everything he needs to be as a viable romantic, dramatic and catalysis like leading character. He drives story which makes him a gold mine. I can't say the same for most of the cast he holds up, quite frankly and that includes Brady, Daniel, John, Lucas, Rafe, Austin or others who frequently pale in comparison to him in all ways as they truly are all made from the same moldy clay.

• Members

No soap has created any iconic characters in the past 12 years and probably more than that. There's no way EJ compares to legacy Luke Spencer, Erica Kane, Victor Newman, Victoria Lord. Heck he doesn't even compare to Jack Devereaux. And sadly not one story he's driven is in any way memorable in fact most are disappointing. In fact I like JS but if he wasn't so good looking I doubt he would have lasted. The only thing EJ the so called icon will be remembered for is raping Sami Brady.

• Members

You are thinking far too long termed. EJ is iconic in the way Kendell, Carly and Natalie were for their respective soaps. Not in the 80's, 70's, definition of the word. Either way EJ is definitely a defining character of Days recent years one of few over the past decade, arguably the only. And yes his relationship with Samantha Brady (another iconic character for Days) is apart of that.

• Members

I hate Phyllis on Y&R.

And after hearing what went down between MS and VR on the show, I can't look at MS in the same way (though I found her overrated before all that stuff came out).

However, Stafford must be doing something right because her SLs on Y&R (including the ones with Avery whom I *LOVE*) are the only ones I enjoy watching. Phyllis powers better story than Victor. I guess you could say I fully enjoy hating her. I am not quite at the stage I got with GH's Carly where I just hated her and wanted her off the show and my screen.

Also, and this is going to be unpopular:

Don't like Tracy Quartermaine and think Jane Elliot, while talented, tends to phone it in.

*hides*

• Members

No need to hide, Cat, lol. In a way, I agree with your assessment. Lord knows I wouldn't suggest Jane Elliot was a bad actress, or that GH (or any soap, for that matter) would be better off without her. However, as good as she might be now, I've seen her do much better work -- on GH, on GUIDING LIGHT, on DAYS, and even on ALL MY CHILDREN. I wouldn't say she's "given up," but I think (and her recent interview with Michael Logan suggests) she stopped caring a long time ago -- and that's due mostly to the fact that GH have stopped looking at Tracy Quartermaine as a complex character.

• Members

I LOVE Erika Slezak's hamming it up as Niki Smith live week in 2002. I hate DID stories, and I actually didn't like Niki that much until 2002. Everything 2002 and on was hilarious!! And she was about as fond of Ben Davidson as I was. Erika Slezak's BEST performances for sure!!!

I loved Barbara Rhoades as Irene. I don't know why so many people were annoyed by her. If anything, she wasn't OTT enough.

I liked Frankie/Jennifer on DAYS more than Jack/Jenn. I like Matt Ashford, but other than that, I never got the appeal of Jack.

• Members

I wasn't annoyed by BR. I was annoyed by the fact that OLTL (and Frank and Ron) chose to recast Viki's dear friend, having already suffered the indignity of being rewritten as Victor Lord's mistress and mother to two -- excuse me, three -- of his children, as this calculating, back-from-the-dead super-villain who treated her two sons like chess pieces. Viki had been used and abused by so many people in her life. Was it too much to ask that one person be on her side (besides Meredith)? (Apparently so.)

Archived