GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Well I think one of the reasons it became mostly about Lucky and Luke was because Genie Francis was not there.  She was still on her extended maternity leave.  And if I remember correctly, the storyline was mostly about revisiting the Luke/Laura rape which had become white-washed under Gloria Monty.  I do think they tried to unwhite-wash it a bit and I think it worked.

And while I do think Becky Herbst was good in the storyline, I don't think she had the acting chops to carry that heavy, heavy storyline.  When they did the flashbacks of Laura being raped, it was astounding to see what a terrific young actress Genie Francis was.  And then when you contrasted that to  Becky Herbst......it just didn't hold as much weight.  Again, Becky was fine...just not superb IMO.

Edited by OldGHFan

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'd say Guza just whitewashed it a different way. It became about how hard done by Luke was and how he'd suffered all those years by living a lie with pathetic, deluded Laura. 

It's hard for me to compare Genie and Becky because the stories were so different, but I think for what she was given, when the story wasn't about Lucky verbally abusing his mother anyway, she was one of the stronger elements. 

Anyway, I don't want to go on because I know everyone but me loves this story so I'll stop. 

• Members

I did love the scene where Laura tells Lucky he doesn’t own her.  Not her history, or her feelings.  

I just wish Jonathan Jackson had played a few beats of not just the betrayal and anger but actual sadness.  If we had seen him just once crying with Laura, or just after leaving fighting with her, it would have been better for me over all.  The total anger was just not compelling after months.

There were times I felt like the perspective of the writing and episodes were making it seem like we should all be mad at Laura for forgiving him.  Like raping her was bad, but her loving him and forgiving him was worse.  And I’m not saying that I think the choices of Monty and ABC and Falken-Smith were correct.  Even Genie at 19 or 20 would not act the scenes where it was called a seduction.  Luke reads a letter she wrote.  But that is the history of these characters, and Laura should not have been made second to him again.

I just think there is a place where they could have revisited that part of their history with all four corners of the story having the complexity and their points of view being equal.

• Members

I was watching old episodes and I didn't remember this Tony and Lucy scene - it was jarring seeing him be this rough with her and it become borderline violent:

I also found the conversation they had the next day fascinating (Lynn Herring's vulnerability here is just great, rarely did we see that from Lucy and they never said much about her childhood prior to this I don't believe)

Edited by Vizion