As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

LOL...I have never thought of Carly in those terms. Although admittedly, I don't recall a lot of specifics of her first run, and I kind of shy away from watching vids of it. I would like to think Marland would have embraced writing for Maura, who I equate on the same level as Lisa Brown and Jane Elliot.

Re: Mark Galloway---he was involved with Susan. The only mention I can find about him in the big book is that he was Susan's boyfriend at the time she sued Dan for sole custody of Emily. Mark didn't like kids, and one time while they argued, Emily disappeared. Dan used that as an opportunity to sue for full custody and Mark ended up testifying that Susan was an unfit mother. AH wasn't the original Mark, the book lists another actor in the part in '74.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think the thing with Andy is (and for once I agree with TPTB) he wasn't leading man material...I never thought the actor was that great...(he was either surly or looked like he was about to weep) and I think people just liked him as they saw him "grow up" and that he was so tied into the better days of the Marland years. They couldn't recast him or the audience would freak out and so he disappeared. I would have just recast with a better hotter actor or brought PK back for holidays or big events. 

Though I never got the Jack thing either...the actor was annoying and Carly and Jack were almost as worn out as Lilly and Holden and Josh and Reva.

I thought Scott Defreitas was good as Andy. He was highly effective during Andy's bouts of alcoholism. I always liked Andy he was a sweet nice guy who only wanted someone to love. Your right about Carly and Jack. How many affairs, remarriages and divorces can a couple go through. They did have chemistry but became worn out. Jack without Carly was dull as dishwater.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I love Jack [and Michael Park], I just think that Andy should've been the lead before him or Andy seeing as Andy was a character fans cared for and loved from birth. I do agree that the constant breaking up of Carly/Jack grew old. I was over it after they broke them up in 2005/2006 and had Carly constantly yearn for Jack to the very end. 

I beg to differ though about Andy not being a leading man. Yes, he wasn't the typical macho leading man we expect in soaps nowadays. I do think he was more a nod to old leading men that were reserved but flawed at times. I think Scott DeFreitas was strong when he had the proper material. Looking back at episodes from 99-00 with Hope's paternity, he was good and delivered solid performances. The story was sh-t at times, but you felt for Andy, who just wanted to be a family with Denise and Hope. After that story, they just threw him aside and he disappeared. 

I think Andy still had story potential. He could've been a strong figure at WOAK. He had great chemistry with Molly and could've been a crutch for her when the show stupidly killed off Jake. 

• Members

I wouldn't even go that far. Andy didn't fit Hogan Sheffer's vision of a "macho" man...therefore he brought in pigCraig, NeanderthalDusty, dyfunctionalpsychoticPaul, and even dimwits like Mike and Simon.

Damn right Andy would've been 1000 times better. And I think it's a travesty that Kim's one biological grandchild didn't even get to be SOARSed on the show.

As for the Carjack comments---just know that I'm praying for all your souls. :heart:

• Members

I love Carjack. I just didn't need them breaking up and getting back together 10,000 times. By 2006, it grew old. I was actually glad Carly started interacting with men outside Jack's orbit. I liked her with Simon and Holden. Those pairing should've been explored more. Jack's pairings outside of Carly have always sucked though. He's never been good with anyone but Carly. 

• Members

Okay...now you're just being mean. Carly never would have found either of those losers remotely interesting. (Holden/Carly seriously to this day makes me want to vomit...) TIIC made a huge mistake in ever attempting to sell any kind of relationship between Carly and those two idiots. I'll concede TIIC could have at least made the effort to give Carly someone other than Jack that could have been a positive force in her life....but that would have had to been a new character, and not just two walking dicks off the recycle heap.

I just meant to be funny. I understand Carjack exhaustion---you can't have your heart ripped out every six months and not wonder if you're insane for still caring.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I enjoyed Simon/Carly b/c Simon was the first man not to judge Carly in a long time.

Yes, we had Craig previously accept Carly's flaws, but I was over him lusting after her. Especially, with Hunt Block in the role. It came off as creepy. 

I enjoyed Holden/Carly b/c I felt Carly ignited the waning sexiness in Holden that was long dead. She added much needed spice to his life, hence why I got behind the pairing. With capable writers, I think the stories could've went on longer. Do I wish they would've married? No. I just enjoyed their lustful affair b/c it allowed Jon Hensley to be something other than Lily's husband and the judgmental prick of Oakdale.

(re: CarJack exhaustion)--I'm just over super couples on soaps anyways. I have been since about '05. I find them to be restricting to the characters. I wish soaps would make characters round on their own merits and romance comes second. 

• Members

Very true...can you imagine if they had done that we would have had Lisa and Bob for over 20 years making up and breaking up, or Kim and Dan, etc, etc. I grew to really be disinterested in soaps when they would never break a couple up for good and let them grow. But the audience at that time would complain..they did when Zimmer and Newman on GL said they were sick of Josh and Reva and wanted to work with new people!

• Members

I understand getting tired of what the "supercouple" became, when it took on some kind of treadmill quality. (OMG, Brooke and Ridge broke up more than Carjack...) But I never got tired of Michael and Maura's chemistry. I would have appreciated some variety in the story (Carly screws up usually grasping for money) and more actual lulls where they were just happy (I got one solid year between Sage's birth and Jack going off the bridge---that's really it.)

re Holden: I can't imagine a worse fate than being stuck with Jon Hensley. You could practically hear him snoring through the role. At the point TIIC needed to bring on Rose to find something for Martha to do, they should have simply committed to a permanent breakup between Holden/Lily. But here's the thing---if you want to go there with Holden and Carly---don't write it as a skeevefest where they go at it at a children's camp and have his preteen daughter walk in on them. Just them kissing would have set off enough fireworks had they been walked in on. But because Lily had to be the injured party, Holden had to be leading both Carly and Lily on, and yet somehow walk away unscathed, while Carly nearly got her ass run over by a demented Lily.

re Andy: I have to wonder if part of the reason why he wasn't recast is because Scott was married to Maura. Yes, they're all professionals, and people move on, and maybe Scott was just over acting ('cause he's never really done much else since.) But I'm not sure you want to test those waters. And I'm not sure a significant part of the viewers would have accepted a recast. We didn't watch one Chris grow up on the show. Paul was recast multiple times, and there were a lot of people I knew who despised Howarth in the role. Dusty had at least 15 years between recasts and don't get me started on retooled/revised/destroyed Craig under the Sheffer regime.