Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh, that theme song brings back memories of rushing home from school to catch the second half, hoping that I remembered to set the VCR to record the entire episode (sometimes discovering that I forget to properly set the timer).

That theme song and Dan Region's voice...so comforting. And the anticipation of seeing the next episode. I just don't get that feeling from any of these remaining daytime dramas sad.png

How I wish I had kept many of my VHS tapes, there are episodes that I'd love to see again that, sadly, are missing from You Tube.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Same here.....about the VCR recording it all....lol

Loved the theme song from 85-93. I didn't care for the slower version before 85.....Miss hearing Dan Regions voice...but they got rid of Dan way before the show was cancelled...

I had tons of 80s VHS tapes of ATWT...I wish I had kept them as well...

• Members

10678620_904318272929908_207481501338788

Penny and Jeff marry on As The World Turns. They were the first "super couple" on daytime television. When Mark Rydell wanted to leave the show and they killed off the character viewers went into an outrage. CBS switchboards all over the country with tied up by viewers voicing their objection. — with Mark Rydell and Rosemary Prinz.

• Members

Actually, Miranda was created by the interim writers but yes, the Dobs married them! I don't think they knew what to do with Bob or any of the Hughes besides Tom.

And actually, Miranda could have worked as Mrs. Hughes except that the Dobsons gutted the Hughes family and the whole structure of the show. Everyone was disconnected to each other so nothing had an impact. If they still had Nancy on the show I could see how she would react to Miranda. And if they bothered to give Miranda a personality after they were married. It would have been interesting if she would have been a Lucinda type, in love with Bob but feeling restricted in her life and wanting to go into business. I always wandered why they didnt connect her to Whilt McColl some how..causing a Bob/Miranda/Whit/Lisa triangle. The problem was Whit was so gross who would have wanted him.

Even more boring then Miranda was her daughter "Bilan." who served no purpose.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I agree that they were the first, way before the horrible Luke and Laura, who were, begrudgingly I admit, the most successful. Though there were obviously tentpole couples during this time I would say the three supercouples until Luke and Laura came along were;

1. Jeff and Penny (ATWT)

2. Steve and Alice (AW)

&

3. Doug and Julie (DAYS)

Would you guys include any other couple on that list?

• Members

I'd also venture to include Bill & Tess from Love of Life on that list. Granted, their story only lasted a few years before they killed Bill off in a ratings stunt (and then promoted the hell of it with ads telling viewers to watch & cry their eyes out over Tess weeping over him), but Gene Bua & Toni Bull marrying in real life while on the show (and staying married until Gene's death just a couple of years ago) make them contenders, imo, for pre-80s supercouple status.