As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Geez. There's a line in this episode where Lucinda asks Iva just how many men she'd had at 13, and Iva quietly leaves the room, as Ambrose tells her without saying it that she went too far. I wonder if Liz ad-libbed that because it's really near the knuckle for ATWT at this time.

There's a fantastic James and Betsy confrontation in this. I just love Lindsay Frost's work in the role. I love how Lindsay took so much material that should have made Betsy seem weak, and flipped it around.

I never knew that Emily nearly split with James for good to go to therapy. Marland's ATWT - therapy always, always the truth and the way.

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

And this episode is a good example of Elizabeth Hubbard's "messy" acting style. It drove me nuts at times watching her. I worked often as a stand-in on Law & Order and she was there as a day player once. Her acting in the scene in Stone's office (or was it McCoy's by then) was subtle and controlled and I wanted to take her aside and ask her why couldn't she play Lucinda more like that!

• Members

All I can say is "James in a black turtle neck...hmmmmmmm!" He could take me to his island and tell me all about his ridiculous evil schemes any day of the week.

What the hell was the bow on Lisa? Did anyone ever telll Fulton she looked odd with the dark or red hair...and when Seirra walked in to the hospital cafe with her down I thought she was Nancy Hughes her hair and clothes were so dowdy.

• Members

I didn't see him in that clip. I remember the recast Rick Ryan that I think the Dobsons brought on but were fired ...he was a muscle boy and a terrible actor and part of that wretched drug storyline (he was using Memorial to make crack or something..) I can't beleive that Marland didnt make more use of the character in his go around. All they had him do was be one of the guys in the Sabrina baby switch (good use of history) but unlike Marland, there were no repercusions especially since that was his cousin...(who just happened to look like his sister, that part of the Sabrina story was really, really stupid. )

• Members

ATWT certainly could've made use of Rick Ryan, especially in the final decade or so--he could've caused all kinds of trouble for Barbara, Paul and Emily, who he seemed to have had a thing for when the character was last in Oakdale.

And though I hated Hunt Block as Craig (I know others must be tired of me reiterating this but I cannot stress that enough!tongue.png ), I think that Block would have been much better suited to play Rick Ryan.

He could've even used his nickname for her (Barbar) and been involved in schemes to extract money from her and everybody else in town, and he still could've been as thick as thieves with Carly.

• Members

Block would have been better as Rick, yes.

Another example of how consistently weird and abrasive Lucinda was in these years, likely spurred on by Liz Hubbard's ad-libs. I got a good laugh when Tonio asked why she was still friendly with Barbara, and she says, "I like her. She's pretty. I like her." Then we get into lady mob boss with "if you can't handle yourself better, do not expect to inherit my kingdom. I'm talking you and me, Tonio. Do not expect to inherit the kingdom. Not mine." Hubbard is truly one of a kind, because with almost any other actress being that mannered, Lucinda would have been a drag on the show. Instead, she's just so endlessly fascinating, and adds so much to daily episodes that can often blur together. For all the talk of how homogeneous this era was (and generally it was), few shows have ever had a character like Lucinda Walsh.

It's at about 35 minutes.

This episode also has the hilarious image of Rick Ryan eavesdropping outside Dr. Michaels' door to get dirt on Emily and James.

Edited by DRW50