• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm truly enjoying all your stories, TimWil!smile.png

Boy, I wish that the soaps, especially P&G had done a better job of preserving their classic episodes because the Chucky Shea era was before my time, although I remember reading something, maybe an interview with Eileen Fulton a few years ago. I'm really learning a lot about ATWT history on these blogs and this messageboard!

I could only imagine what you have to say about Goutman. I'm intrigued but the mere mention of that man's name makes me feel sad.sad.png Just hearing what he did to the show and how he treated some of the veteran actors.

• Members

When I lived in NYC, before my father's sudden death in '12, I saw Chris Goutman on two, separate occasions: once, at a Barnes & Noble on the Upper West Side (82nd & B'way, I think, not too far from where SEARCH FOR TOMORROW was taped for awhile); the other, on the no. 1 train at the 59th Street/Columbus Circle station. Both times, Goutman was reading. Both times, I was tempted -- very tempted -- to introduce myself. (If nothing else, I thought, he could pass along to his wife how fond I was of her on SEARCH.) Trouble was, though, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do so w/o telling him how I really felt about ATWT under his direction. He's a good director, IMO, but he's also an incredibly lousy EP.

• Members

I still recall reading an interview with her during her ATWT run where she expounded on the joys of buying clothes, wearing them and then returning them for a refund. IIRC, too, readers wrote to the magazine afterward, saying how tacky and gross she was for doing such a thing.

• Members

Going back a few months to some episodes I'd never seen - this one has a great part where Lisa snaps at Bob when he jokes about her being a deadbeat mother (which *was* kind of tacky...). This leads to Nancy and Lisa talking about menopause. (I think Eileen and Doug Marland came up with this story together - it's fairly rare by soap standards, as most of the time women on soaps who mention menopause end up with a miracle pregnancy).

I wonder how many of the older women in the audience were shocked to hear Nancy say that word.

• Members

Splurging on old '87 episodes of ATWT again tonight and the reunion of Kim & Sabrina was heart-wrenching. Even though this isn't my first time seeing these scenes, I keep realizing each time how Marland was genius having the reunion take place in a chapel and mirroring Kim/Sabrina to Mary/Baby Jesus--the bond between mother and child.

Question: Was Marland trying to do a redux of Bob/Jennifer/Kim with Frannie/Sabrina/Seth? I know Julianne left around this time, but does anyone know whether or not Marland was going to play on history and have both women wound up pregnant?

And Barbara being so cold and unreceptive to Sabrina was true to life. I love how Marland played on history and Sabrina returning brought about a sore spot for Barbara. Did Barbara ever get over that and learn to accept Sabrina OR was there always that tension between the two?

Ugh. All this juicy, soap goodness between Sabrina & Frannie and it just boggles my mind why a writing regime didn't bring these characters back long term in later years.

• Members

I splurged on some '87 episodes myself this weekend and I also have a question for you ATWT experts:

Being a Craig & Sierra fan, I should know this but I'm confused about something-- I thought that Sierra knew about Tonio & Barbara's affair when she went to Foxwood Lodge and ended up sleeping with Craig but apparently she just found out in '87, not '86 when the affair happened.

I know she suspected something going on between Lucinda and Tonio but what were the circumstances that somehow (mistakenly) convinced Sierra that her husband and her mother were somehow having an affair leading to her retreat to Foxwood Lodge? Is this the reason she ran up to Foxwood Lodge or was there another reason? These episodes are missing and haven't been posted anywhere on the 'Net, so I'm unclear about this.

Does anyone know the story on this?

@NothinButÁttitude-- I really appreciate how good and consistent the core characters were back then. And the conversations between characters are refreshingly frank and heartfelt:

• One episode in which Lisa talks about the realization that Kim is truly the love of Bob's life and how far back that love was and how awkward she felt about confiding these feeling to her relatively new husband, Earl.
  • Nancy telling Sabrina that she did have issues with Bob and Kim's actions back then yet expressing how glad she is that Sabrina is on the planet regardless of how that existence came about.
  • Even Casey, Lyla and Craigs interactions are equal parts hilarious and poignant. Lyla at once, demanding that Craig treat her as an adult yet refusing to cut the apron strings, Craig struggling to accept Lyla's relationshp with Casey and almost embarrassed to admit that he was a bit jealous in a boyish way. Even Casey teasing "Craigey" that he would make him pancakes for breakfast in the morning.laugh.png
  • The conversations between Dusty and John always managed to show a human, vulnerable side of John. I loved what a stand up guy Dusty was, and he still remained an interesting character.

• Members

I think Marland's main theme with Frannie was that she would never be happy with a man; they would always break her heart. I don't think he really planned a long-term triangle, I think he may have always had plans for Seth and Sabrina. I'm not sure.

Sabrina and Barbara didn't interact very often in Sabrina's time on the show.

Marland was going to recast Frannie, but then he died. After that the show started to lose interest in the Hughes family, and probably saw Frannie as too old.

• Members

I don't remember exactly what convinced her Tonio was sleeping with Lucinda - wasn't a lot of it based on Lucinda's relationship with Craig and Sierra's paranoia it was happening again? Then his late nights or something?