Y&R: Potpourri Thread 3

• Members

I'm sorry, maybe I'm overreacting (I'm sure some of you will think I am) but I think these attacks on Maria Arena Bell's appearance are unnecessary and silly. I get that you don't like her writing/producing skills (or lack thereof) but to attack her looks in this manner is childish.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So it's okay for us to judge Brian Frons for being a pervy creeper, it's fine for us to say Miss Nellie Ewing from TVGuide Canada is some crazy queen who uses his rear end as a "Punch a Bunch" board when The Price is Right is on hiatus. It's even fine for Galen Gering to say Jimmy Reilly was a fatass.

But it's rude and childish for us to sit and judge POOR WITTLE MARIA...who acts like a celebrity by injecting herself into all of these photographs at all of these high profile events, who poses and smiles for pictures thinking she looks like hot sh!t instead of the two dollar hooker that she would probably be saying the same thing about if she saw her working some corner on Melrose? Give me a break!

Forget the fact that she's a crappy writer/producer extraordinaire: She poses in these pictures like a celebrity. The least that she can do is dress like one.

• Members

SCHWING!

I can imagine Heather Locklear's Amanda Woodward saying exactly that, so therefore, it's an awesome statement to make. And. Dead. On.

Exactly. If you're going to put yourself in the public eye, you need to expect the criticism. ESPECIALLY when you wear a denim jacket.

• Members

There's a big difference between criticizing Brian Frons or Nelson Branco for their actions and writing that Maria Arena Bell's thighs are fat!! And no, I don't think Galen Gering should have said that about James Reilly, that was rude too.

Criticize MAB all you want for her incompetence as a HW/EP, but I just think that attacking her for her looks or the way she dresses is tacky. But it's just my opinion and you have every right to diasgree.

• Members
Okay, we'll just agree to disagree.

But I also wanted to highlight what might be yours and other people's hypocrisy by presenting those examples. Calling Brian Frons a pervy creeper or Miss Nellie a queen might be considered "rude" to them. Calling someone a bad writer might be just as offensive too. And maybe, to them, just as rude as saying someone's thighs are fat.

• Members

A couple of random thoughts that have been flitting through my mind...

1. With the recent Y&R survey, it makes me wonder if a lot of what we're seeing now...say pacing...has to do with the previous survey. Do they thing we want things to be so rushed, with no one playing the emotional beats or the tension of moments??

2. I wondered if the killing of Colleen was a painful choice made to deal with an albatross. It was widely alleged that Tammin Sursok was "forced" on Y&R by the heavy hand of some Sony benefactor. Maybe that benefactor wouldn't accept anyone else in the role of Colleen...but he COULD understand killing the character (for story purposes)...especially since it helped build the Sony agenda of writing TGVN off?

In other words, to rid themselves of Tammin, Sony gave them no choice but to kill off Colleen?

3. The rushed storytelling this week is seriously the worst I have ever seen. Last week it was a plane crash. This week a house fire AND the death/injury of the gynecologist. Cane goes from bartender to Senior VP in a single episode...without even wanting the job. This is the worst plot-driven repositioning of a character.

Why not have given some time to Cane striving for something? Slowly building his return to business?

I happen to think Cane is better suited for the bar...and the character has no obvious formal training that would explain his being senior VP.

It is this kind of false entitlement for Cane that makes people hate him...

• Members

I doubt Sony forced them to kill off Colleen. An endless death toll, especially to try to shock or manipulate viewers into thinking a story is more meaningful than it really is, that's part of Sheffer's stock in trade. They pulled the same stunt with Sabrina, and I don't think she was involved in any big controversy.

Archived