Y&R: Potpourri Thread 3

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, it is a question why they brought in and retained Goddard. I guess Goddard worked with LML on Wild Card? And Bloom loved him when they decided to go in the direction of "Kay switched Phillip". (Did they ever address where her false memory of the switch came from?).

I sort of suspected that Goddard and Sursok were brought in, in part, to increase the Australian interest in Y&R. Wasn't Y&R undergoing an Australian network switch at the time? (From broadcast to digital cable or something)? I figured it was just a small attempt to retain more Australian eyeballs for their 'soapers'?

Goddard really doesn't bug me as much as others, but I HATE HATE HATE Lane (and Khalil's Lily). My fear, though, is that the Lane fans are so organized and loud (hence their weekly wins for "Best Couple" in SOD, etc.) that TPTB think they need to keep that couple forever.

The only nice moment I ever enjoyed for Lane was the period IMMEDIATELY following his revelation as a fraud, and her cancer diagnosis. That was a few weeks of something more relatable to me. But now we're back to puppies and ice cream.

• Members

One solution to minor problem is to send them off into the sunset, the thing is if they dear break them up or cause any good conflict many who are "loud" within that fanbase will still cry about it. There is this tone to this couple like they "poop" flowers and they can't do much of anything wrong, what can a soap writer do with them unless their name is Tom and Alice Horton?

• Members

Key word: alleged. Alleged by rabid fans of Leon and 'Cadrian' - a pairing with a fan base that made Lane fans look like the picture of mental health.

If TPTB are okay with Hayley Erin, Clementine Ford, Christel Khalil and Amelia Heinle's performances, I highly doubt they would've wanted to recast Colleen. Also, Sursok wasn't fired - it was her decision to leave. She was well liked on set (even Eric Braeden sung her praises), and as you said some months ago about Heinle, they're not going to fire someone that popular.

Yes, Y&R moved from a commercial network to a cable channel that year. It's possible that Sursok was hired partially for that reason, but Goddard's hiring came before the network switch. Plus, Sursok is well known in Australia and Goddard isn't.

Yes, Lane is the new Shick. And that's not a good thing. Cane should be paired with someone more stomachable and if they insist on keeping Khalil, Lily should be paired with Daniel again (to kill two awful couples with the same stone).

• Members

I don't think that anyone,at any level,would be concerned with what a few thousand Aussie viewers thought of Y&R.The move to cable would have decreased viewership significantly,but Y&R would be a mere blip on the radar.

Tammin is just another Home & Away 'star' on their conveyor belt.She is unknown in Oz apart from H&A die hards.

• Members

Amen about breaking Cane and Lily apart!

I did like Lily and Daniel...but in the meantime, I have grown to dislike them both (immensely). So, your idea of a reunion is a good one...as long as it leads to their moving to New York City (so Daniel can better explore his artistic bent) or Paris (where she grew up and where we can say Danny Romalotti is now living).

• Members

Exactly. I realized last week why I just can't stomach the role. He never grew and therefore is just unbelievable and fake for me. BoreMeToTears Hellstrom is far from being my favorite role but I can see him as Tucker's protege even though he's as far from being qualificatied as Cane is. But JT is somewhat streetsmart and at least had a gradual job development from no-good/singer to PI buddy, Newman employee and Tucker's b*tch. Cane the bartender came to GC, was propped and propped and propped, became an executive at CI has done basically nothing and is still propped - for what exactly? Lying???

Vickie and Nick might not have gone to high eduation either but they worked their way. So did Drucilla. They all had small projects before hitting center stage.

Therefore: I plain HATE Cane. To make it even better, Goddard and Khalil are pure poison.

• Members

I think if he really cared, this show would be excellent production-wise. Sadly, after his years with Lemay, it all went downhill and he never used that supposed golden touch he had. I guess he needs a strong writer, someone who can stand up to him, which is what Lemay almost always did, someone brave and daring.

Unfortunately now he's on autopilost exhibiting his worst tendencies.

But also, the man is just old. And who knows if he'd know what is great taste now. Even though, they say, taste is eternal.

Archived