Y&R: Potpourri Thread 3

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This show is just horrible, and what makes it worse is that MAB and Rauch (and I guess Hogan, though we never hear from him) actually believe in their own minds that they're putting on classic soap opera that Bill Bell would be proud of. I used to watch it faithfully every night on Soapnet before going to sleep. I gave up that habit after the Kay kidnapping story went south. I've since been tuning in a couple of times a week, and what I see does not impress me. The ratings have been up lately, so someone must be loving it. I just don't get it.

• Members

You know, I've always liked William Russ and initially thought he'd make a good addition to the show, any show, and I still do, with the right story and character which this clearly is not. But more important than all of those silly elements like writing and character is his hair. What the fuuuuuck is that? He looks like Colonel Sanders, trying to push his chicken franchise on Chancellor! "Neil, please inform Mrs. Chancellor that we now offer grilled chicken. That's right. I await your answer to my proposal. Tucker out."

Even with Stephen Nichols this is going to get so old so fast. "How could you betray me child I never knew who we just now made up after telling and retelling an unpopular story? Please sleep with my surrogate daughter, *gasp!* how could you both betray me, Jill?!" And then either he or Jack are gonna die because like I always said, this show will not have three senior businessmen on it for long.

• Members

They were trying to channel Richard Branson -- ex-hippie, playboy and partier, jump out of airplanes, pilot balloons, non-traditional.

Even at top, as CarlD2 has noted, it appears they will initially start with the same kind of look on Stephen Nichols.

As for "this show will not have three senior businessmen on it for long", one could argue that for a good part of the run they tried to tell the story that Brad Carlton was equal in acumen and resources to Jack and Victor (after he finished college while working on the Jabot loading dock, and after he inherited Cassandra's assets). They wavered on depicting Brad as a strong businessman, especially toward the end of his run, but that was a good decade+ that they had three strong businessmen, each at each other's throats.

And it was the alliance of enemies (Jack and Brad) who took over Victor's place when he was "dead" that made that particular tale all the more compelling.

• Members

The chicken part of your post cracked me up so much, even more so then it usually would have since I had KFC last night.... :lol:

William Russ was ok when he first started but gradually his performance in the role just started to deteriorate as time went on, it was like he wasn't expecting all the dialogue and etc. even though he was on Another World in the late 70's. The way he's acting on the show seriously makes me wonder if he's an alcoholic or maybe they told him they wanted to make Tucker one.

I hate to say this but I'm starting to understand why there are two Y&R threads.... :o

• Members

William Russ is just miscast. He's not a bad actor, but I don't get a sense of Tucker being

A. a financial whizz (except when we had Kay and Neil doing all that "Tucker McCall is a financial whizz!!!!!!!" exposition),

B. a silver fox with the ladies, or even

C. a Maverick (cue music "Highway to the Danger Zone").

He looks like he's about to whip out a banjo at any second. This is not William Russ's fault (I'm guessing even that godawful hair has been mandated by TPTB), it is the writer's. I have no sense of who Tucker McCall is. I just hear the name Tucker McCall and that's it -- nothing else. Just Tucker McCall TuckerMcCall TuckerMcPeepaw Elvis McNoLips. I don't think the writers know who Trucker McWhatshisname is, either. I have no doubt Maria shouted "Richard Branson" and everybody nodded in agreement. Branson's ok but his Virgin brand is the real success story. I wish they'd gone for somebody more like Trump as at least he is personality and the writing could have poked fun at his toupée.

• Members

No. Sadly. Though Victor's return to kick ass, maybe with Jack at his side, does have some interest value.

LMAO.

If you look at that tailored, fitted suit on SN (in the episodes thread), I think we're about to see some "billionaire style". Tucker has apparently regrown that beard (that he apparently shaved just before he met Jill), and maybe he now feels free to look more billionaireish...that the "aw shucks" charm of Tucker I was just "wolf in sheeps clothing".

I think they realized they wanted definition and a stronger force, and I think they have picked a recast to accomplish this with.

Archived