Y&R: Potpourri Thread 3

• Members

I posted this reply to a similar remark you made in the episode thread, might as well have this discussion here, lol.

I know, and it sucks.

That house has so much history and so much future potential left in it.

Did they think by burning it down and having Adam play hero was going to get people to care for Adam, if they don't already? Give me a f.ucking break. The writing on this show is sooooo contrived and manipulative, it's not even funny.

This show needed an extra house set so it didn't appear like everyone was living at the GCAC or at the Newman Ranch. Now those two places are where half the characters are living anyway.

I don't even know what to say about this show anymore, it's obvious that these writers have no respect for the history of it or the longtime fans. I guess we shouldn't care anymore, which is what they're trying to condition us to.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was thinking about this as I was watching today, and, as controversial as this opinion is, I really wish Jimmy Reilly were still alive AND working at Y&R instead of Hogan and Hamner(Maria there for her idea of quality control). I know alot of people are turned off by him because of DAYS and especially PASSIONS, but let's forget PASSIONS for a moment.

His DAYS1.0, although full of close calls, characters having the same conversation over and over again, and full of these creepy moments, had alot of heart and made fans want more. Sharon and Adam should have had a way better buildup. It's not only the pairing that's turning me off, it's the way they were slapped together so hastily. Reilly would have taken his time with Sharon and Adam dating, would have made this a secret from the Newmans(and especially Nick) for way longer than this and then Nick would have found out about Sharon and Adam well after the two had been established in their own eyes and the eyes of the viewers.

DAYS1.0, although repetitive, at least gave these characters and fans moments. Actual story beats. Conversations every other week or month between friends, former lovers, and family members that didn't seem like thrown together at the last minute because we have to. But still kept us captivated and interested even when characters had the same conversation over and over again because something new happened in a character's scheme or in a character's love life.

Y&R desperately needs someone atop of the writer's pyramid who "gets" longterm story projections and playing beats. Throwing these fast food stories together and wrapping them up in a few months when the show needs another sweeps boost won't do anything longterm. The show needs to play it like it's sweeps year round(except the summer, of course! ;) ).

What is going on at Y&R is just pathetic. No one wants to bother saving this show. Maria was the only hope. And she seems to have checked out, opted for having a cushy office, but spending her time thumbing through Neiman's catalogues and shopping at Nordstrom instead of doing what she was brought in to do: look after her late father-in-law's life's work.

• Members

Actually, I agree, even Reilly's stories had more purpose and better execution than the crap that's on Y&R right now. He at least had some goals and knew how to build stuff up to a heavy climax.

And really, Y&R under this regime has been as ridiculous sometimes as any Reilly show. Even in death, we're still talking about him. LOL!

• Administrator

There was a wild rumour going around, don't know if there's any truth to it, but Y&R was considering hiring Reilly, but instead they went with Sheffer. I would've love to see Reilly back in a "normal" world where he couldn't be outrageous (Reilly-outrageous). He had a lot of respect for Bill Bell and I'm sure Bell influenced Reilly a lot - it showed it Reilly's writing style, and how he lifted some of Bell's stories. But even if Y&R hired Reilly, it wouldn't have lasted long. :(

• Members

These fans are dangerous amongst all fans. These fans just want them together because they are together in real life. I respect ATWT. because wasn't there two different marriage couples on the show & they always hooking up with people who they aren't married with on ATWT.

• Members

See. I told you he wasn't totally blind!!! :P:P:P I AM glad he's put on a little weight, and is looking softer appearance-wise. His acting still seems way off for me. I'm pretty much sh!tting broken glass over this show right now. I think it can't get worse, and then it DOES. Considering the highlight of the week was that someone combed Sharon Case's hair... that's a damn sad state of affairs.

• Members

Muhney just tweeted something very interesting about his blindness. I think it explains some of the writing, some of the performance...but it also speaks VOLUMES about the level of corporate micromanagement this show is experiencing!

Archived