OLTL: Discussion for the week December 28

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To reiterate:

Matthew doesn't see Destiny as a potential love interest, just like I said he wouldn't. Doesn't matter if he ends up with Dani, Becca, or his right hand...the point is that he's not interested in having Destiny as a GF!

Tee-hee ;)

I was right all along.

Now...how long before her useless ass is (finally) off the show?!

Destiny Evans/Shanell Edmonds -- please exit stage right. :D

• Members

I don't like Destiny with Matthew and prefer the romantic chemistry between Danielle and Matthew but I agree with several points in this debate. I don't think Shanelle Edmonds is the problem with the character. Even if she was portrayed by a more talented actress it still won't change the fact that the writers and the network are not as invested in minority characters and actors. That is an irrefutable fact. There isn't one example where tptb have invested in a minority character and performer with the same level of committment that they have invested in their Caucasian counterparts.

Because of that lack of investment, it has led us to where we are today. There was really no way that a character like Destiny who was created and presented to the audience as little more than a loyal friend to Matthew is on the same playing field as a characer like Danielle who is presented as yet another legacy child of Todd Manning. The audience is familiar with Todd and Tea as characters. There is twenty years of history between Todd and Nora. Thus, Danielle and Matthew's story fits within a rich soapy context. It's easier to write that story. With Destiny, her sparse familial connections appeared well after the character arrived and they very neatly tied her to a supporting minor character who didn't have any lines for his entire first year on the show. Outside of Matthew, they haven't given Destiny any other character motivation. Danielle's character has her own set of problems which exist outside of whatever it is that will happen between her and Matthew. I think this is a clear example of where the writing has failed to live up to the concept of the character. When Destiny was teased about her weight by Justin and Becca it should have prompted some story or at least a discussion between Destiny and Matthew or even Destiny and Sean about how that affects her. We never even see Destiny's mother comfort her the way Tea comforted Danielle. I've commended OLTL for their attempts to expand Rachel's character and also Layla's character but they aren't doing anything with either character right now other than allowing them to be included as minor supports in some other character's story.

Adding to that complexity is a fractured audience where half of the audience is indifferent or actively rooting against minority characters. Dee is correct, there was no way Destiny's character or any other minoriy can succeed in daytime. Destiny's character like Rachel and Sean are representive of the larger problem plaguing daytime. We are sill in the separate and unequal status quo phase. Daytime has failed to succeed in respect to minority characters. AMC, Y&R, DOOL, B&B and yes even OLTL continues to treat their minority characters like tokens. At this point, the debate transcends superficial topics such as the talent of the minority actors or their popularity or likeability. The networks and the writers have not made a long-term investment in minority characters nor will they ever.

Enough of my soapbox. Kyle and Fish's love scene far exceeded my expectations. It wasn't just a love scene. It was he portrayal of a homosexual accepting his true self while finding real love for the first time. Absolutely stellar acting. They raised the bar in those scenes for gays and straight, so much so that you really need to watch them over and over to catch all the little nuances of facial expressions, body language, and emotions going on. Not a good idea to show Sky and Gigi in the same episode. Sky and Gigi's scenes lacked any real heart for me and while their scenes were longer and more explicit it paled by comparison to Kish. Those scenes were so much less passionate, and didn't have any impact for me. What was the point?

I cannot believe that I am saying this, but I felt bad for Rex today. He was actually reacting properly and is compleely oblivious as to what is going on with Gigi. I could actually feel for him.

I really don't care about the teens one way or the other, but Ford, while pretty, really came across a smarmy cad. I can't possibly root for a child molester. I'll take Markko over a Ford any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I've decided Trevor St. John is secretly advertising Ambien.

Archived