OLTL: Discussion for the week December 28

• Members

I think we saw what CBS soaps could or would do. Not much. ATWT deserves a lot of praise for Nuke, but maybe it is because of the injection of yet another boss in P&G, neither that show nor GL could do much. Then with Y&R you have once again another company in the mix besides CBS. Also, and I want to say this as delicately as possible, Y&R is known to have a strong demographic--a demographic known to be disproportionately intolerant of gay people. It just is not a good fit.

OLTL is the soap that brought black characters to the forefront, then latino characters, they had the gay storyline years ago with Ryan Phillippe...it makes perfect sense that OLTL is the show that handles this material.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Celebration of progress at the sake of regression is horrible.

It has just about everything to do with it.

In what parallel universe does being "uppity" justify being held in worse regard than holding guns on people?

No she wouldn't.

Missal is a passable actress AT BEST but HER character is allowed to do whatever she wants because TPTB say so & the majority of the audience is more willing to accept that type of behavior from someone who looks like her.

• Members

I can only speak for myself but my issues with Destiny have NOTHING to do with her race and its kinda insulting to think that it comes down to that. Ive more than explained why I dont like her, and race doesnt play a factor in it whether you want to beleive that or not

And when did anyone in this thread say that uppity is worse than holding a gun? Pull out some quotes, bc I dont recall reading that here

Again Missal just joined the show and people have been complaining about Destiny before Dani ever was a factor. Dani is now being used as a scapegoat for why people hate Destiny when the hate and issues for her have been prevalent long before Dani entered the equation.

• Members

There has been much talk about Destiny as "pesky" & "pushy".

When did "pesky" & "pushy" become worse than holding guns on people?

Just like it isn't when Greg is gone or Shaun is back to babysitting Jack & Sam or

Again Dani is NOT being used as a scapegoat for why people hate Destiny but as a clear distinction about how certain behavior is acceptable & celebrated from certain actresses/characters that "have right look" as opposed to others that don't.

• Members
You still havent answered the question. So when has pesky and pushy been stated as being worse in this thread than holding a gun on someone?

As JackPeyton, said its not bc she's white or looks a certain way; its bc she's Todd's kid and bc of her current story. Destiny had a white adversary before. Remember Becca? Were people accepting of her materialistic attitude, bitchy behavior and shallow nature over pushy Destiny? No/ Her being white didnt make the fans automatically love her and root against black Destiny when they went head to head

• Members

When being pesky & pushy is used as reasons not to root for Destiny while nothing is said about Dani threatening people with guns.

It's all of the above with the race & looks parts being a significant factor.

It didn't?

Wasn't it Destiny's attitude toward Becca & Justin that had her branded as pesky & pushy?

• Members

I really hope your not LOLing cuz you think im lying, because im not. If i had the choice between killing Dani or Dest off, Dani would be gone no choice. I would recast Dest. I actually do like the idea behind her relationship with matthew and would love it if the show would go there, with a stronger actress int he role because i honestly feel EA is one of the best young actors on ABC Soaps and shouldnt be paired with such bad actress' but he is.

I do agree tho that for some, maybe even most, the would accept a white version of dest more than a black one, but that can also be said if flipped. there are also audiences out there who hate Fish because he is gay, however just because someone hates him doesnt mean they hate him because hes gay. Some could like the char, hate the actor.

• Members
Okay now your just assuming and prematurately complaining on something that hasnt even been stated. No one has congratulated or applauded Dani for holding a gun and for the record, I think she was wrong for that.

No it was the way she dealt with and still deals with adults. How many people were loivng Becca? She didnt get many fans and based on your comments her behavior should have been excused bc of her race. I thought she as most of the teens were horrible

Archived