OLTL: Discussion for the week December 28

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JPL, FF, and BB have all had either good performances or good runs. I thought Brandon Buddy improved mightily this year and I liked FF on DAYS and on and off throughout her OLTL run. JPL was doing alright until this past year, preceded by a bad run in the Higley era. Before that he was quite popular. It's overexposure and not playing to actors' strengths. I have yet to see Shenell Edmonds display a strength.

• Members

This is an extremely long thread that I'm kinda glad I missed (though I get the feeling someone missed me...but let me not run the risk of being embarrassed and leave that alone). I'm sure half of what I say has already been expressed.

Let's not BS ourselves. Shenell(e) Edmonds is a horrid actress...I called that ish on her very first day. And I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim otherwise (we may disagree on the degree of her...inadequacy...but I don't think anyone has done a Nelson and praised her "abilities").

But that is NOT the point here.

The show very obviously started building up to Matthew/Des before he even lost his legs, and the fact that they ripped the rug from under that says a lot. I don't buy that they brought Dani in for Matthew because SE can't act. That's ludicrous. If they think SE can't act (and these are people who are trying to pass Crystal and Farah as leading ladies), they'd have recast her months ago. She's recurring. They could easily give that per episode paycheck to another young, round, black actress who actually acts.

Dani is pure insta-ingenue. We're supposed to care because she's Todd and Tea's daughter, but nope, I'm fatigued pass the point of caring about them, so now what?

My thing is that I was counting RC to do something different here. I mean, here in today's episode, we had Kyle and Oliver knockin' boots. How awesome would it have been if, elsewhere in the same episode, this pairing of a heavyset black girl and a skinny white boy was inching closer and closer to happening? I just feel a little disappointed by the whole thing. I wanted to see something different, and even still, Matthew/Dani can be different, but I'm seeing absolutely nothing that's gonna make them different from, say, Starr and Cole. Roll out the dough, and get out the cookie cutter.

But, on a lighter note, uh yeah, Ford is hot, but Markko is the total package. Lang would be a fool to give him up!

• Members

LMAO at the bolded quote. Too true.

Unfortunately though, I think the Cristian and Layla relationship is as interracial as any couple on the show is going to get. I honestly don't mind Matthew and Dani - they DO have romantic chemistry and Kelley CAN act. However, I completely agree that they pulled the rug out from under Matthew and Destiny and have turned the entire show into the Dani hour, which is BEYOND obnoxious. I mean, it was worse when Starr and Rex/Gigwhore monopolized the show, but this is still a consolation prize compared to the prize we could be receiving.

• Members

Sure it is. It is for me, anyway. It comes down to the acting. Either the actor works, or they don't.

Maybe, maybe not, but they ended Matthew/Destiny here (or so we think) because she couldn't.

You're right, they could and should get a recast to play this [!@#$%^&*] out. But I'm not willing to watch Shenell E. with EA in lieu of that just because. I'd rather watch two kids with chemistry play a teen romance which I'm already far more into than I ever was with Starr and Cole.

• Members

If TPTB thought she was a bad actress, they could have dumped her a long time ago, but they haven't, just like they still have Fath and Vwahs on the front burner. Why pull the rug from under a story to accommodate a performer's poor acting instead of just recasting the character with someone who can get the job done?

Archived