OLTL: Discussion for the week December 28

• Members

What interest have I not returned in the Evanses? I've been writing about them and supporting their storylines, when they work, all year long. I posted over and over and over about what they could be doing with Destiny (and Greg) and why they had to be recast to give them a fighting chance and avoid the same old problems daytime so often faces with minority representation. I'm not going to pretend something is what it isn't, though. Bad is bad and there are countless other talented black actors out there who could be making these characters flourish.

OLTL's black canvas has always been incredibly important to me. But if an actor doesn't work I'm going to say so.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. They HAVEgiven SE more than enough chances. Sure there are examples of white actors getting even more chances when they shouldn't have but that's not the argument, you're making it about.

Besides the fact thatshe's black and not bone thin (something I wish there was more of on soaps) what is it you LIKE abotu SE and want her kept on the show for? Just to make a statement?

• Members

I don't think TPTB had any interest in Greg beyond Greg/Rachel/Shaun.

How many characters work at the hospital yet he couldn't have befriended any of them?

Now Dani is taking all the credit for Matthew's surgery while Greg & Destiny's efforts are being marginalized if not erased.

• Members

But all the what TPTB could have & should haven been doing means nothing when TPTB are using them to reap the accolades of token diversity but only using them as vehicles to further their white peers stories.

They were never going to get the opportunity to grow & were being set up to fail.

The way other characters have immediately been shoehorned into the show & met with instant fan love despite bad acting or little to no connection to the canvas is proof of that.

• Members

I disagree. These characters all have actual stories and several of them appear to be getting more. Compare that to Bonnie or Neil or Brot or Natalia or Abe and Lexie. Lainey on GH. You name it. Is the situation ideal? No. Are the characters and families the precise composition that I would like? No. But there is a clear effort.

And even then, you're not offering a solution. I'm saying SE can't hack it, you're saying it doesn't matter because it was never going to happen. Why then are we on page eight of this discussion, if you were never invested?

• Members

Gex?

Sole?

Easton?

TPTB & fans are NEVER at a loss for ways to integrate them or make them work.

Their pairings get tons of airtime whether they sink or swim & bad acting is treated as a given.

The double standard exists like AMC's Frankie who was bashed endlessly for assaulting Randi's pimp ONCE & who fans have treated like garbage ever since the character was paired with Randi cause Vasi can't act or Devon/Roxie on Y&R who get a fraction of airtime & emotional context their white counterparts do despite being played by a talented Emmy winner & a beautiful actress with a significant amount of primetime experience.

• Members

People onlinehave bashed Easton's acting ever since John McBain joined the show :P I do not remember many complaining about Frankieon AMCin anyway except to say they wished he got more screentime--he's very well liked and was since the start. Randi can't act and many of us have wanted her recast ages back.

Who likes Ford? On here it's almost all been negative about him. There are Destiny/Matt youtube vids as well. Elijah was integrated on the show fairly well--we saw him in court asa minor character for a long time before he got scenes.

I remain unconvinced :P

If what you're saying is true though--that white characters who are played by awful actors and arebadly shoehorned into the show meet with instant fan love and black characters, nomatter how strong don't then I suppose the people at ABC Daytime are smart afterall to not focus on them--isn't that what you're saying? :blink:

• Members

And as I've said, that's not fair and not right, but none of that is a compelling reason to keep Shenell Edmonds on the show and frontburner.

Most people I see out there still love Frankie and Cornelius Smith and wish he was away from Randi. I've also seen a lot of people outraged at how Y&R treated Tat Ali.

• Members

Eric,there was a lot of interest in Ford the first time around, when he poured water on himself and all that. That was also in the middle of that story with Markko's parents that got annoying. I don't know if he's so popular as to have a big role on the show, but we don't know what they'll do with him.

Archived