OLTL: Discussion for the week December 28

• Members

Yeah, didn't Kyle first get involved in tampering with DNA test results when he took Mitch's bone marrow and let people think it was Stacey's, because Roxy told him it was the only way to save Shane's life? I think the blackmailing only came later. Being willing to risk his job and criminal prosecution to help save a sick child - however ludicrous that whole bone marrow transplant story was - was a good indication, I think, that he's not a fundamentally bad guy. And it makes total sense to me that Roxy would later befriend him, even after trying to blackmail her to get out of a jam, considering he first stuck his neck out to help her save her grandson and keep her secret about Mitch being Rex's father. If memory serves, there was also a pivotal turning point where Kyle decided to do something to help prove that Stacey wasn't the donor or helped find the stolen bag of blood or something that would ultimately ensure that Shane could get another transfusion if he ever needed it, without a guarantee that Natalie or whoever would drop some charges against him. I'm fuzzy on the details, but I distinctly remember that being the upshot.

I see it potentially going another way. Unless something gets derailed - which on this show seems to happen all too often to some of the best potential stories - it seems like the groundwork has been laid for Kyle to somehow get involved in keeping the secret about Stacey's baby's paternity. He's a lab technician, so he's one of the only characters in soapdom who logically should be able to mess with DNA tests, and he's going to be classmates with Schuyler in med school, I think (is that still happening?), who's already in that mess up to his eyeballs. There are plenty of ways for him to find out about the baby before Fish does and either be threatened by Fish having fathered a child while he was in the closet and/or not want to be tied down with a kid at this point, and subsequently do things to keep it from coming out that will blow up in his face.

I'd be ok with either scenario if written well - a cool twist to come out of the otherwise wretched Stacey baby story.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's a usual part of soaps, especially today's more simplistic soaps, that someone would only want to be with their first love. I can buy that a lot more with Fish/Kyle than with Rex/Gigi, especially since they haven't claimed Fish was celibate that whole time.

Archived