OLTL: Discussion for the week December 28

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Would for me. I don't want to see her right now with Matthew because I find her scenes so hard to watch. If I liked theactor I suspect I'd find thecharacter more compelling. When she was a more minor figure she had some stuffthat gave hera lot ofsympathy--telling off the snotty kids at school etc but the last few months her delivery haskilledthe character--it's hard to feel sympathy for someone who reads every line while rolling her eyes or hiding smirks.

• Members

Dani has done all those things & then some yet since she's white & "conventionally attractive" her insta love with Matt is acceptable.

Tarty was conveniently kicked under the rug when the audience rejected it despite it being played by GOOD actors so Todd could have his miracle family with Todd/Dani & wouldn't have to deal with any of the damage he caused to any of his existing family.

The same thing is happening to Matt/Des & recasting wouldn't help because the root of the issue is the direct insinuation that the Black Girl isn't worth being loved by anyone especially not the son of one of the most prominent families in Llanview.

That wouldn't change if Rae'ven Kelly was playing the part.

• Members

Honestly while I know you're gonna say it's not, to me all that is irelevent. I think Dani is a much better actress (though it wouldn't behard not to be). That's why I think recasting is the way to go--then you'd ghet more people agreeing with you about how they've marginalized off this character, but for now frankly I'm glad. None of her family are that great as actors though I've always enjoyed Shaun and I wouldn't miss them if they left.

• Members

I see what you're saying about the Evans family, Eric, but I also have to wonder whether a stronger black presence would even be allowed on a soap today. Rachel got a quick love scene but otherwise she's a talk to. Hank is nowhere to be found. There's still Layla, who has had a decent year, but that almost seemed like a fluke.

• Members

That's really offensive.

Like REALLY offensive.

It's also indicative that the support for racial/gender/sexual minorities only exists one way.

It's not.

Bad acting or not offensive is offensive.

It's amazing the way gay stories/characters/fans are expected to be supported without question while racial ones are mocked & treated with disdain.

So what?

That hasn't stopped Gex, Sole, any Easton pairing?

Why are ethnic minorities held to a standard their Caucasian peers aren't?

And even HE who SAID the plus sized White girl was unattractive didn't have a problem with her having an active love life with men who loved her, valued her & who put her first.

Exactly.

Like TPTB saying they wanted to write for RJ. <_<

Archived