OLTL: Discussion for the week December 28

• Members

No it doesnt but it only mkaes her even more unbearable. Destiny has always been a mess and is one of the most annoying characters in daytime today. She's a loud mouth big Ms. Know-it-All who cant mind her own damn business, is incredibly rude and has one of the worst atittudes. Todd/Tea/Dani have nothing to do with why she's so infuriating as her path has only crossed them in the past few weeks. The girl was horrible long before she entered theire storyline so I cant see how they can be blamed for this as the issues with her have been noted for months now

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And Dani isn't?

Destiny isn't blaming everyone possible for her father's death EXCEPT for the two people directly responsible for it HERSELF & HER MOTHER or feeling entitled to celebrate a surgical procedure that had little to nothing to do with her nor is she grabbing guns & threatening to murder people.

Destiny is just "unbearable" cause she doesn't "know her place".

And in those few weeks Matthew was willing to run around the world with Dani a few days after meeting her cause she is THE MOST AWESOME CHARACTER EVER.

Plus ever since Dani showed up everyone from Nora to Blair to Destiny has been thrown under the bus to prop her useless ass just like with Tea.

It's only a matter of time before Marty & Viki are singing the snarling brat's praises.

Shenell isn't the greatest actress but the Destiny character has hardly done anything to deserve such offensive treatment.

• Members

I don't think Destiny's race has anything to do with why the show seems to be dropping her thing with Matt in favor of his with Dani's. That happens on many soaps, yes, with many characters and couples, but I don't think it's the case here. Here, I think it has to do with ability and chemistry.

Destiny herself was a Brian Frons production, according to RC; Frons came up with the character. So I don't think he's tossed her aside out of disinterest. The problem is she can barely act, and while Kelley Massal may also be limited with all the yelling they give her, she has generated a definite chemistry and rapport with EA in a fraction of the time it has taken Shenell Edmonds to be able to decently deliver a paragraph of dialogue. The inherent Todd-propping of Danielle's character aside, I'm actually very interested in her and Matthew together, whereas with Destiny only a handful of scenes in a year have even mildly endeared me to the idea of her with Matt. Why? Because as others have said, she was an insta-busybody with no apparent spark to back up "sparky" dialogue, and why is that? Because SE can't deliver the spark on the page, and meanwhile, in terms of a young couple, Eddie is not engaged with her. He is with KM. If they had recast Des, it would and still could, very easily, become a different story and a real triangle. I encourage it.

What I do think is that Destiny being phased out of the story in favor of a thin white girl, for whatever reason, however inadvertently or innocently, sends a very unfortunate message to young viewers of color or less than a size zero. That's why they have to recast her. Prove to me that they should be given a chance, as opposed to simply doing an interracial teen romance because OLTL also did it with Cristian and Jessica and a half-dozen other teen couples. (And it's not like OLTL does not have scads of African-American representation with or without Matt/Destiny.)

• Members
Dani has only blamed 3 people for Ross' death, Tea, Todd and Destiny, the latter of which she was apologetic for. Dani is responsible for helping Matthew make it to the hospital where he got his surgery. Whats wrong with her for being happy for him and feeling good about her role in that? There were several people involved in his miracle and she is one that played a part in that.

No he was willing to run away from her bc he was DESPERATE to walk. That was the driving force behind his character for most of this year. She was a means to get out of the boarding school and achieve that goal.

To be thrown under the bus, means one has to be trashed or get some type of negative treatment as a result. I can see where you are getting that for Destiny, but Nora and Blair? Blair's writing has improved immensely since she met as she finally stopped ranting aroung like some angry biyatch, desperate for revenge and clinging onto a man that doesnt want her. Nothing negative has happened to Nora as a result. So were those two thrown under the bus for Dani? Not quite

They'd have to remember Marty still exists first. I wont be surprised as far as Viki is concerned considering that is her niece. She always sees the best in people even when they are at their worst, especially her family

Well I pretty much explained my issues with her character. She wasnt so bad when she first appeared as the shy little girl, but then she discovered her mouth and hasnt shut up since. Hasnt stopped annoying since either

• Members

It does when Destiny says Matthew likes the "prettier" girl more than her & Matthew doesn't deny it.

But they won't & even if they did they wouldn't do it with an actress of a similar type.

At this point Destiny & every character of color needs to be off this show because fair treatment for them is clearly not a priority.

It does & using Shenell's acting as a strawman argument for TPTB's blatantly offensive actions is horrible.

Missal may have chemistry with Alderson but acting like her character IS superior to Destiny's cause TPTB have propped her to heaven isn't right.

Why do Matt/Destiny have to be proven when Matt/Dani are expected to be accepted & celebrated cause they are young & white?

• Members

I've been watching OLTL for a little while and I'm just not seeing this AA representation. Sure, there are a lot of black characters, more than on most other soaps (including the godawful Y&R), and Destiny is front-and-center, but it feels kind of like the Boudreaux family on GL. Meaning that you see them often, but their peripheral nature is pretty obvious. Like is there some big Rachel story I'm not seeing? Anything in the offing?

• Members

She was apologetic to Matthew cause it would be too much for her to accept any responsibility for repeatedly putting herself in a position for Ross to kidnap her or for her mother for creating the situation to begin with.

She wants to take credit for ALL of the success of Matthew's surgery.

A process that had been going on long before Matthew even knew she existed but she feels entitled to act incredulous that everyone isn't over the moon about her small part in Matthew's surgery.

Matthew's desperation to walk had nothing to do with him promising to go to Tahiti with her or waiting in Seattle for her after the Ross drama.

Blair being obsessed about Todd & comforting Tea after being almost killed several times once of which Tea is responsible for isn't negative treatment?

There was absolutely no reason for Blair to still be interested in Todd or to be involved in the Ross/Dani debacle other than for Ron to destroy Blair to prop Todd/Tea.

And Nora acting like a den mother & sounding board for Tea & Dani after Tea helped Matt get legal permission for a dangerous operation & threatening to use her affair with Bo in court isn't negative treatment?

Even when her brother treat HIS nieces like crap cause he's too busy chasing lawyers with secret children or teeth grinding psychiatrists.

She's not snarling at everyone in sight about how they ruined her life or holding guns on people.

...How annoying.

• Members

Not really. Danielle is thinner and more developed than Destiny, yes. Perhaps more "conventionally" attractive. That's what Destiny was talking about. She wasn't talking about the color of her skin. We are. But I agree with you that as I said below, the entire setup sends the wrong message. The problem is OLTL should've simply cast a better girl long ago to avoid having to tiptoe around that setup.

Why wouldn't they recast? Unfortunate stereotype though it may be, Destiny being a somewhat heavyset young girl with a strident attitude is about as far as her personality goes. That is her identity on the show.

Needless to say, I disagree. I think Destiny failed with Matthew based on her own merits or lack thereof. That's not even necessarily on Edmonds, it's on OLTL for not casting the right girl or not fixing the problem six to eleven months ago. I knew on Day 1 she could not act and she has only moved a few inches as a performer since.

But let's look at this like this is any teen couple. Was it blatantly offensive when Natalie won Cristian from Jennifer? No. And why? Because Jen and Cristian had failed despite a year or more of work, and Jessica Morris could not act. How are we to say OLTL did not approach this story the same way, colorblind, looking simply at the talent?

But Dani isn't wandering around the show acting like she's Starr's old nemesis Britney, or even acting like Gigi, queen of the singles. Last I checked she immediately apologized for her behavior towards Des. She knew as soon as she'd said it that the people she was really angry with were Todd and Tea.

I'm not asking anyone to celebrate anything but the fact is one of the actresses has obvious capability and the other is, to put it kindly, lagging badly. When that happens with a character, a show has three options: Wait for improvement, recast, or scrap it. They spent a year waiting on Destiny. Nothing happened. They didn't recast when they should have. And if it was me, and I was the EP, I would pair Matthew and Danielle now and then recast Destiny and keep playing that triangle. I wouldn't put Matthew with a lesser actress right now just because she's a character of color, anymore than I'd keep wasting Frank Hubbard with Randi's ass on AMC. (Another part that should have been recast ages ago - I applauded the initial attempt to create a new young black supercouple, but is it any wonder we now see people begging for Frankie to develop a thing with Nazi princess Madison?)

It's not a racial decision. It's the performer. Like Jessica Morris, Edmonds can't hack it. I wouldn't write the character off completely, as I fear they will, but nor would I keep trying to frontburner a bad actress just because she's a young person of color. This is an argument many of us also applied, often, to Evangeline. It has to be about more than her skin.

• Members

I don't like the peripheral nature of Greg/Rachel (and I've gotten pretty tired of ol' Greg, actually) or Cris/Layla, but the fact is they are all around and appear regularly in substantial roles in a number of stories. I think they developed Cristian and Layla very nicely this year, especially this fall, and I love Rachel in her role at the clinic and with her family. It's not the optimum situation I'd like - that would involve more people, plus RJ and Victoria Rowell - but nor I don't think it's a GL/Boudreaux sort of thing at all. They don't appear in 'the black part of town' like on AMC or DAYS or Y&R. These people are fully integrated.

• Members
He was grateful. The two made a pact. She'd help him and he'd help her. Matthew seems to be a stand up guy and wasnt about to just abandon her after she helped get him across the world for his surgery.

Obsessing over Todd is negative treatment but that stopped BEFORE she met Dani. Blair since meeting the girl and going through the kidnapping ordeal with her has given her a change of heart and she's been one of the few mature voice of reasons in this whole mess. No that isnt negative treatment as she's been making more sense and is being written alot better now than they had her a few months ago when she was fighting Tea and trying her best to hold onto Todd

Guess we have different definitions bc I dont see the negative treatment here either. If anything that only makes Nora come out looking better. For her to look past all that and stick her neck out to help someone who has been an advesary to her shows that she has heart and can be the bigger person. I dont like Nora, but that made me see her in a better light.

Thats Viki for ya.

Nope, she just goes off on anyone in her sight that gets in her way and gets rude for no apparent reason

...very very annoying

• Members

Destiny equating Dani being "prettier" was a direct insinuation about her race the thinner comment was about Dani being "conventionally attractive".

They sure did but the problem is that they aren't tiptoeing they're using a sledgehammer.

They have already destroyed any future relationship for Matt/Destiny & forced her to accept whatever scraps he feels like giving her.

Destiny's also a sister, a daughter & friend.

Her character has many levels beyond being strident.

Plus Ron has shown Dani can do & act however she wants & she will be rewarded for it cause TPTB say so.

See I don't.

Matt acts like he never had interest in her which isn't true but with Dani the wonder child around for a ready made relationship based on TPTB mandate what's the use?

So instead of accepting Shenell's shortcomings viewers should accept Missal's?

Nat/Cristian/Jenn didn't have the ugly racial implications like there are with Destiny/Matt/Dani so Jessica Morris performances could be judged on their own merit.

She apologized to Matthew who sat there like a bump on a log & let Langston comfort Destiny then told Destiny to accept Dani's offensive behavior cause her Dad dying means she's allowed to be entitled & surly.

At this point all racial minorities need to leave Daytime.

They will never be afforded fair treatment like their White peers.

Amazing how things haven't changed in 40 years.

If that was the case why not put Matt in a triangle with two visible minorities?

And it's not too much to expect that THIS show be sensitive racial issues when they had MARCIE a plus sized White woman be chosen by not one but TWO attractive men.

Speaking of Evangeline

How long are Cris/Layla going to sit on the back burner now that Layla has taken up with her & Sarah's sloppy seconds.

Archived