OLTL: Discussion for the week December 28

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The whole thing with Greg is something I still don't quite get. Terrell Tilford isn't a great actor, he was OK on GL (he never had any material anyway) and he was OK on his guest spots on Soul Food, where his sex appeal helped. I'm not entirely sure if TT's acting made those running around the hospital/chair-throwing scenes bad or if they were impossible to salvage. The early story with Rachel and Greg seemed so rushed and it was very difficult to care about Greg.

I know they may have had some plans with Greg and they fell through but I do wonder where this puts Rachel. I like Rachel/Sky but I don't know if I look forward to a story which may tell us that someone as beautiful and smart and likeable as Rachel would be second fiddle to someone like Gigi.

I just hope that no one at ABC Daytime decided, "Hey, those non-white faces brought in the low ratings" and that any of the current stories are to push most of those faces out, especially if it means any possibility of losing someone like Markko, who I think could be a great part of the show with the right material. Since no one at ABC Daytime cares that much about OLTL, perhaps that isn't happening.

• Members

Back in 2007 when he debuted as the stereotypical "dangerous Latin teen who is good at breakdancing" (a personality that quickly evaporated when the show realized JT was just a sweet kid), Darn and I relentlessly mocked Langston and Markko's number in the high school musical, resulting in a "sorry you didn't like it, we worked real hard" reply on our blog from, apparently, Brittany Underwood herself.

Later that year when RC took over the characters became much improved, BU and JT really shone and I hope she found our apology.

• Members

That speech from Shaun was dripping in condescension.

Frankly I don't want the character with Matthew ever nor do I want her in some afterthought relationship so she can have the gift of being someone's consolation prize.

The minute she swallows her pride to be Matthew when he couldn't even be assed to defend her nor own up to his attraction to the miracle child she will have.

As far as recasting if TPTB ever intended for there to be a triangle it would've already been done.

So why not recast?

TPTB want the diversity press & adulations but they don't want to invest in the characters beyond tokenism .

Almost immediately after Tea ripped her apart on the stand she became Tea's BFF & almost her whole time in Seattle was spent babysitting Dani or coddling Tea about a mess Tea created.

It's only been the past couple of weeks that she's been with Sky & if the spoilers are right

And I can't see rooting for Eddie Alderson with Kelly Missal when her character is repulsive & a million times worse than Shenell's.

I haven't made any assumptions but I'm tired of not being able to discuss race without being snidely dismissed because we can't deal with the often unpleasent implications of unreturned intersectionality amongst minority groups.

• Members

I really liked Rachel and Greg's story up til the chair-tossing contest. Now he's just kind of silly but I thought the acting and writing worked well. I didn't find it terribly rushed. I thought they did a very layered, in-depth portrait of Rachel as she was after prison and various traumas, and somewhat of Greg as well.

As for possibilities with Sky, we can make the meta-inference on "second fiddle," but no matter what is written, we can't help the fact that he has slept with Gigi first. It's not going to go back and be retconned out of existence. All you can do is go forward.

Well, Destiny was Frons's idea. When he debuted at ABC he invoked Ellen Holly, then proceeded to give OLTL no black characters or stories whatsoever, other than Van. I think he loves the idea that he alone is responsibility for racial diversity on ABC. He just loses interest quickly. Randi the Valley Girl OTOH remained frontburner, the question is how much of that was Frons and how much was Pratt.

• Members

So it's fine to take hardlines with minority actors who already are given next to nothing & expected to spin it into gold while their caucasian counterparts get free reign to do whatever until they fall into something that works?

I didn't think Tobias was bad.

Javier Morga...well ok yeah he was bad. :lol:

Archived