OLTL: Discussion for the week December 28

• Members

No, what she was screaming at Destiny about was her rage at Ross's death and her misdirected anger at Destiny for being involved in the situation that led to the hostage crisis. Immediately after she did that, Danielle apologized.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To me they are all in the same boat.

Same lack of respect & regard for the characters, same lack of emotional investment of the individual characters & their relationships & same marginalization of the characters and/or growth of the actors involved.

But I have.

I said from jump that if the character was recast with an actress of a similar type that was a "better" actress I wouldn't have a problem.

I'm saying SE CAN be recast but since she hans't why is everyone acting like her relationship scenes with Matt got anywhere near the respect & investment that Missal's have?

No, she threw in a very direct snide dig about Destiny taking credit for Matthew's surgery.

• Members

I disagree. I think there's been a lot of emotional investment in the individual minority characters on OLTL this year, from Rachel's trauma to Shaun and Greg's family issues to Destiny's quests for Matthew to Layla's romantic stories with Oliver and Cris and issues with Evangeline, and in the case of people like Terrell Tilford's Greg, perhaps too much if you ask those frightened chairs with their stories about the splinters/bullets in the brain.

On this we are in agreement. But that didn't happen. So what to do with SE? Keep her and pretend it's fine?

Destiny got a year and was very active all year long, at least as much as Danielle in these last few months. They invested a lot of time and energy in SE and she could not return on investment.

• Members

Yet he's still there & still frontburner.

Here, no.

Otherwise, yes.

Somebody had to otherwise TPTB never would have brought him back & as soon as his story with Larkko plays heavier things will change.

Not relationship vids.

With Ross

& Todd as Dani's father what's the point of the character?

Where are The Hubbards?

They didn't even rate a holiday appearance except to work like Brotalia.

• Members

And all those ugly underlying issues are just supposed to be accepted by the audience cause it's more important to put Matt in a relationship with Dani than it is to invest further in SE or a "better" recast?

I've seen lip service done to Roxie but none of the unconditional fan love characters like Amber & Jana get.

As far as Cornelius he MIGHT get a chance with Stephanie but it's doubtful especially since ABC loves Vasi & has made it clear they have no interest in recasting.

• Members

First of all, they can always recast. Destiny has not been killed by the Music Box Killer in a hotel bathroom yet. Second, if not a recast, what are they supposed to do now? Keep playing a triangle with SE? Invest further in her? Really?

• Members

I disagree.

I don't think they had the amount of airtime afforded them as their white peers nor the same care put into their emotional arcs.

Plus the audience almost immediately accepts new characters if they are white.

Not so much if they are minorities.

They have to PROVE they deserve to be on the canvas or have the audience care whereas with their white counterparts it's usually a given.

I think SE has shown significant improvement with people like Tuc, Tonye, Frankie & Terrell.

But that still doesn't answer why everyone HAS to accept Missal cause TPTB feel determined to shoehorn her onto the show.

If SE were that bad & the characters contribution to Matthew's story so important why wasn't recasting done a long time ago.

Apparently TPTB have investment in her even if some fans don't but the ugly marginalization of the character cause TPTB have a shiny new toy is horrible.

• Members

Like Stacy? Cole? Gigi? Even longtime characters like Natalie and Lindsay took a while (with Lindsay, years) to gain acceptance with the general audience.

Not enough.

You don't. But she has chemistry with EA and she is, IMO, a better actress. There may be divergence of opinion on her scope of talent, but I have yet to see anyone say she is not better than Shenell Edmonds.

Ask Jessica Morris. Why isn't it being done now?

And if she isn't bad and shouldn't be recast what are you suggesting they do with her?

• Members

They can recast but if that was ever their intention they wouldn't need to marginalize Matt's feelings toward her or her participation in his story nor would they feel the need to have her be ok with being someone's friend who considers her "the best friend he ever had" but acts like she's not around when the miracle child is around & lets her be a convenient punching bag FOR the miracle child.

Archived